What's new

Asian Champions Trophy 2021: India beat Pakistan in 7-goal thriller to clinch bronze medal in Dhaka

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
HIGHLIGHTS
  • India beat Pakistan 4-3 in the ACT 3rd-place playoff in Dhaka
  • Harmanpreet, Sumit, Varun Kumar and Akashdeep Singh scored the goals for India
  • India had defeated Pakistan 3-1 in their round-robin encounter in this edition

India edged out a spirited Pakistan team (4-3) in a seven-goal thriller on Wednesday to clinch the bronze medal in the 3rd-place playoff of the Asian Champions Trophy 2021 in Dhaka. Harmanpreet Singh, Sumit, Varun Kumar and Akashdeep Singh scored the goals for India while Arfraz, Abdul Rana and Nadeem were the scorers for Pakistan.

India made a brilliant attacking start, earning four back-to-back penalty corners within a minute into the game and drag-flicker Harmanpreet Singh finally managed to convert on the final attempt to put the defending champions ahead in the first quarter.
But Pakistan hit back quickly as Arfraz capitalised on a defensive lapse from India in the 11th minute to cancel out Harmanpreet's 8th goal of the tournament. And they took a shock lead in the third quarter when Abdul Rana converted a simple tap in to help his team leap ahead in the 33rd minute.
But 12 minutes later India equalised through Sumit, who took advantage of the chaos in front of the Pakistan goal to tap the ball into the net.
Varun Kumar then converted a penalty corner in the 53rd minute to give the lead back to India after which Akashdeep doubled it in the 57th minute.
But Pakistan hit back immediately with Nadeem scoring their third but they ran out of time to add any more to their tally and suffered their second successive defeat against India. India captain Manpreet Singh was adjudged Player of the Match for his brilliant performance in the midfield, even though he couldn't score for his team.

This was the second time India faced Pakistan in this tournament edition after the round-robin stage which the defending champions won 3-1. India in fact, finished the group stage at the top of the table with 3 wins in 4 matches.
But they came up short against Japan in the semifinals and went down 3-5. Pakistan, who were joint-winners along with India 2018, lost their semi-final 5-6 against South Korea.
The campaign in Dhaka has come as an eye-opener for India, who now have an idea about their bench strength. Graham Reid's side will look to work on their shortcoming ahead of an important year wherein they will gun for the Asian Games gold medal.

Was India playing for bronze? Really? Quite low standards considering the performance in Olympics and just found out we lost to Japan. I understand Indian team is now radically different from one in Tokyo, but still even India A team is supposed to be better than Japan.

Well played to Pakistan.

Welldone India.

Now you can sleep.

Next match please please take the piss out of the Pakistani players and I promise you they will hand your mother to you

I too was surprised at Pakistan's performance--much better than expected. Hopefully this becomes a pattern for Pakistan hockey.

HIGHLIGHTS
  • India beat Pakistan 4-3 in the ACT 3rd-place playoff in Dhaka
  • Harmanpreet, Sumit, Varun Kumar and Akashdeep Singh scored the goals for India
  • India had defeated Pakistan 3-1 in their round-robin encounter in this edition

India edged out a spirited Pakistan team (4-3) in a seven-goal thriller on Wednesday to clinch the bronze medal in the 3rd-place playoff of the Asian Champions Trophy 2021 in Dhaka. Harmanpreet Singh, Sumit, Varun Kumar and Akashdeep Singh scored the goals for India while Arfraz, Abdul Rana and Nadeem were the scorers for Pakistan.

India made a brilliant attacking start, earning four back-to-back penalty corners within a minute into the game and drag-flicker Harmanpreet Singh finally managed to convert on the final attempt to put the defending champions ahead in the first quarter.
But Pakistan hit back quickly as Arfraz capitalised on a defensive lapse from India in the 11th minute to cancel out Harmanpreet's 8th goal of the tournament. And they took a shock lead in the third quarter when Abdul Rana converted a simple tap in to help his team leap ahead in the 33rd minute.
But 12 minutes later India equalised through Sumit, who took advantage of the chaos in front of the Pakistan goal to tap the ball into the net.
Varun Kumar then converted a penalty corner in the 53rd minute to give the lead back to India after which Akashdeep doubled it in the 57th minute.
But Pakistan hit back immediately with Nadeem scoring their third but they ran out of time to add any more to their tally and suffered their second successive defeat against India. India captain Manpreet Singh was adjudged Player of the Match for his brilliant performance in the midfield, even though he couldn't score for his team.

This was the second time India faced Pakistan in this tournament edition after the round-robin stage which the defending champions won 3-1. India in fact, finished the group stage at the top of the table with 3 wins in 4 matches.
But they came up short against Japan in the semifinals and went down 3-5. Pakistan, who were joint-winners along with India 2018, lost their semi-final 5-6 against South Korea.
The campaign in Dhaka has come as an eye-opener for India, who now have an idea about their bench strength. Graham Reid's side will look to work on their shortcoming ahead of an important year wherein they will gun for the Asian Games gold medal.

India lost this match because india deserved to beat 6-0 to pakistan .

Vegitarians beat meat eaters is not sufticient for you abdul bhai ?

How do you know they are all vegetarians. I know a Pakistani lady who is vegan and and Indian Hindu lady who eats beef biryani

Team was headed by a meat eater, most of the team could probably be mostly meat eater
amir.gif

I checked out the Indian roster, how come the Indian hockey team is absolutely dominated by Punjabis?

I checked out the Indian roster, how come the Indian hockey team is absolutely dominated by Punjabis?
As our cricket team is completely dominanted by Punjabis and Pushtoons.
Except Dhani, every player is either Punjabi or Pushtoon.

I wonder why Sindhis and Balochs are not interested in Cricket?

Well. I am not vegetarian. Most of India isn't.
It's not even an Asian Cup. It's just an championship trophy with 5 teams. And Japan definitely is not a team comparable to Indian one. In cricket it's equivalent to current Zimbabwe defeating India. And it should be whether the team is vegetarian or not, Pakistan or Japan or not. It's the skill of the team that matters.

Hockey is still more famous and importantly still respectful in Punjab. And it's a means for getting an govt job. Sports in encouraged at a state level in states like Punjab, Haryana, Odisha unlike developed states like Kerala, TN or Andhra.

Nowadays our NE states have jumped into this sponsoring athletes like no other.

Field hockey? Is this game still played?

Congrats to India for winning bronze. This leaves me optimistic for Pakistan Hockey. A few things to keep in mind if the trajectory stays consistent.

- No significant support to the Pakistani Hockey team outside of official government patronage. There is a need for a PSL equivalent for hockey so corporate/private entities can take on the burden to develop players and give them exposure at the national level/International level.
- Team Pakistan went to play with a change of the head coach happening as they were heading out to play in this tournament. The new head coach, dutchman Siegfried Aikman, is just taking over. His work with Team Japan clearly shows what he has been able to do given he is supported in the endeavor. Japan is in the finals with SKorea!
- Team India were much more seasoned and have had the requisite support for a while and despite that Pakistan gave them an extremely tough time with the former just eking out a win.

I think better days are ahead. For a change, our idiotic focus on Cricket needs a break. There are other, much more physical sports like Hockey, Football, Squash and Boxing which require private/corporate support. Hope this will be forthcoming.

Congrats to India for winning bronze. This leaves me optimistic for Pakistan Hockey. A few things to keep in mind if the trajectory stays consistent.

- No significant support to the Pakistani Hockey team outside of official government patronage. There is a need for a PSL equivalent for hockey so corporate/private entities can take on the burden to develop players and give them exposure at the national level/International level.
- Team Pakistan went to play with a change of the head coach happening as they were heading out to play in this tournament. The new head coach, dutchman Siegfried Aikman, is just taking over. His work with Team Japan clearly shows what he has been able to do given he is supported in the endeavor. Japan is in the finals with SKorea!
- Team India were much more seasoned and have had the requisite support for a while and despite that Pakistan gave them an extremely tough time with the former just eking out a win.

I think better days are ahead. For a change, our idiotic focus on Cricket needs a break. There are other, much more physical sports like Hockey, Football, Squash and Boxing which require private/corporate support. Hope this will be forthcoming.
What about kabbadi
I was a big fan of Musharraf Janjua
I think if we regularly telecast circle style kabbadi
We'll get huge audiences, kabbadi is part of our culture

Back
Top Bottom