What's new

As China rankles Philippines, India goes on Asean charm offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veeru

BANNED
Reaction score
As China rankles Philippines, India goes on Asean charm offensive

NEW DELHI – As the Philippines protests the latest Chinese military action in disputed areas of the South China Sea, India is ramping up its charm offensive in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, pushing for close economic cooperation with the 10-member regional grouping.

“The shift of power to Asia in this century is almost a cliché now,” Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said here last week at the two-day Delhi Dialogue III. “We are committed to deepening our engagement with the countries of ASEAN.”

Krishna pushed for the construction of “an inter-connected economic bloc” between India and ASEAN. This would revive ancient economic and cultural ties.

“India and ASEAN are natural partners,“ said ASEAN Secretary General Surin Pitsuwan. “Together we are a formidable force.”

India, with its 1.5 billion population and sustained annual economic growth averaging 9 percent, is pursuing a “Look East” policy that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh hopes will translate into a trade volume of $70 billion by 2012.

A free trade agreement on goods between India and ASEAN has been in effect for a year. India wants a comprehensive economic cooperation agreement by 2012 that will include free trade in services and investments.

The Delhi Dialogue III is in preparation for next year’s India-ASEAN commemorative summit to celebrate 20 years of formal partnership.

Sources said President Aquino may attend the summit in this city.

For the Delhi Dialogue III, New Delhi has invited delegations from each of the ASEAN member states, representing government, the academe and mass media. Most of those invited will head from this city to Mumbai and Bangalore this week to see various aspects of India’s economic development.

China has also embarked on similar programs, but the friendly gestures are periodically set back by its actions in disputed areas of the South China Sea. India also has a border dispute with China.

Indian Ambassador A.N. Ram said the emergence of his country as a major player on the world stage “is seen as a positive and benign factor in the region.”

Several of the speakers at the dialogue pointed out roadblocks in the “connectivity” that was a buzzword among the delegates.

Indonesian Trade Minister Mariah Pangatsu noted the wide income gaps among several ASEAN member states. She also said regional economic integration would require uniform Customs rules. Myanmar representatives, for their part, expressed reservations about opening their country’s borders to connect India to the rest of ASEAN.

Still, the mood at the dialogue was generally bullish.

“We are entering into a marriage. We have a serious commitment,” Pangatsu said.

THE PHILIPPINE STAR

As China rankles Phl, India goes on Asean charm offensive | The Philippine Star >> News >> Headlines

The ASEAN countries may have burgeoning trade relations with China..but they are definitely keeping their Knives sharpened..As China;s military grows powerfull, the ASEAN Countries will move closer to India.
Its inevitable

Oh man I really wish we had members from the Philippines to talk some sense into you guys.

Ho Hum- typical china. It may have learned its economic policies from the west . But the ole Commi hard handedness has china being hated by 99% of the world. good for India. japan too has pledged to move it's trade from being no1 with China to India in 5 years . I love how the US is surrounding China and making them all the more paranoid to where they are pissing off their neighbors. It's a psychological warfare at its best...

Oh man I really wish we had members from the Philippines to talk some sense into you guys.

Philstar .com where the article is published is a Filipino newspaper so the article must be written by a Filipino itself and I guess at the time of writing the article, he must be having fairly good sense to see things in right perspective than a Chinese sitting in Canada.. :woot:

lol some of them may hate and fear China but they definitely think you guys are useless.

For the life of me i can't figure out what India has to offer but maybe millions of muslims looking for a new home to try then to take over that home (country) how can they ever offer anything more then China ? Well forgot they have Indians answering service calls for US companies using of course all american first names !!

lol some of them may hate China but they definitely think you guys are useless.

And here see how much they love you.

China is merely proving to be now "awake" after it has been "asleep" for a long time. (According to history, Gen. Macarthur referred to it as the SLEEPING DRAGON of Asia. He wanted it bombed, as what I learned in my readings). Now, it ceased to be a Sleeping Dragon. It is now the volture hovering over Asia, the great bully of Asia, wanting to own every part of Asia. It wants to destroy its neighbor to make it easy for them to capture the neighbors. Example: It continuously send batches upon batches of Shabu manufacturing experts in the Philippines.

Sorry but let me add some lols at the end. :lol: :lol: Try hard next time.

Many ASEAN countries have no conflicts or dispute with China at all. For those countries, they remain close to China. I do not think they will choose india over China.

So for the ASEAN tilts towards india, I do not see such trend. Certain countries, they may choose to do so, but not for ASEAN overall.

Obviously most Asian countries have never thought very highly of the Chinese at any point of time. Being a sweatshop of the western world, China is not about to win the respect of Asian countries. Its state-run media, communist policies and cozying up to rogue nations is increasingly being frowned upon by the rest of Asia.

:) I never said they loved China (though most of the business community do), I just said they think you're useless.

OK. You gave me one quote and I gave you one. What does that prove Genius?

OK. You gave me one quote and I gave you one. What does that prove Genius?

That they fear and hate us and think you're useless and weak.

Obviously most Asian countries have never thought very highly of the Chinese at any point of time. Being a sweatshop of the western world, China is not about to win the respect of Asian countries. Its state-run media, communist policies and cozying up to rogue nations is increasingly being frowned upon by the rest of Asia.

You don't even speak for your country nevermind the rest of Asia.

Your consistently useless posts that have nothing to do with the thread prove you are incapable of any kind of independent thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom