What's new

Arun Jaitley gets charge of defence ministry after Manohar Parrikar resigns

President's Secretariat
13-March, 2017 15:59 IST
PRESS COMMUNIQUE

The President of India, as advised by the Prime Minister, has accepted the resignation of Shri Manohar Parrikar, from the Council of Ministers, with immediate effect, under clause (2) of Article 75 of the Constitution.

Further, as advised by the Prime Minister, the President has directed that Shri Arun Jaitely, Cabinet Minister, shall be assigned the charge of the Ministry of Defence, in addition to his existing portfolios.

Congress should come to it's senses ASAP,
Dynastic politics should end and congress should promote people based on merit.
We need a strong oppositions for democracy to be effective in India.
If Sonia Gandhi cannot sacrifice her son for the greater good of the country then congress party is doomed.

Congress got more no of seats than bjp in both goa and manipur .. yet they are unable to form govt...

Congress got more no of seats than bjp in both goa and manipur .. yet they are unable to form govt...
because they are a bunch of incompetent lot lead by an equally incompetent and reluctant leader......though i will hold my horses on Manipur...

because they are a bunch of incompetent lot lead by an equally incompetent and reluctant leader......though i will hold my horses on Manipur...

Well i agree congress is most corrupted.. but modi using his power to get BJP into power in every state... Recently presidential rule in AP and uttarakhand.. then forming govt... now in manipur Congress got more no of seats, close to magic number... yet governor invited BJP to form govt... We need healthy competition... these hijacking formulas could damage our system... Power might jump to another party in future... If they follow same trend, it will be our loss..

Arun Jaitley gets charge of defence ministry after Manohar Parrikar resigns

57616777.jpg
(TOI file photo)

NEW DELHI: Finance minister Arun Jaitley was on Monday given the additional charge of the defence ministry after Manohar Parrikar resigned to take on the new role of Goa chief minister.

A Rashtrapati Bhawan communique said that the resignation of Parrikar as the defence minister, on advice of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has been accepted with immediate effect.

"Further, as advised by the Prime Minister, the President has directed that Arun Jaitely, cabinet minister, shall be assigned the charge of the ministry of defence, in addition to his existing portfolios," the communique said.

Parrikar submitted his resignation after BJP staked claim to form an alliance government in Goa.
He will be sworn in as the chief minister of Goa tomorrow heading the BJP-led ministry which has the support of regional outfits and Independents.

This is the second time that Jaitley is holding the additional portfolio of Defence Ministry during the present NDA government.

He was incharge of the ministry earlier from May 26 to November 9 in 2014.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/president-accepts-parrikars-resignation-arun-jaitley-to-get-additional-charge-of-defence-portfolio/articleshow/57616323.cms

@Levina @Abingdonboy @nair @MilSpec @jbgt90 @Nilgiri

Can only tag 5 people saab. After 5th the tags are ignored according to webby.

Booo not my DM .

Bring back parrikar , he pushed & approved bills faster than anyone else

Looks like Trump administration!!!

How are you so intelligent? Not only can you sprinkle all kinds of threads with Islamist hyperbole you can also spot incredibly well hidden similarities in people you don't like. Amazing.

Well i agree congress is most corrupted.. but modi using his power to get BJP into power in every state... Recently presidential rule in AP and uttarakhand.. then forming govt... now in manipur Congress got more no of seats, close to magic number... yet governor invited BJP to form govt... We need healthy competition... these hijacking formulas could damage our system... Power might jump to another party in future... If they follow same trend, it will be our loss..

Do you have any, I mean ANY idea how congress used their governor's to subvert democracy state level? And how often? Please do some research.

As to Manipur. That is perfectly ok and not subversion of democracy. The BJP in Manipur and Goa was able to show strength to governor as a majority MLAs personally went to governor and made a joint claim which the governor HAD to accept. What are you complaining about?

For example, 1993 UP elections, BJP had 177 seats, yet mulayam was invited to form govt. This was when he had not even showed his majority to governor.

You seem to believe in this congress rule - do as I say, don't do as I do.

Last edited:

Look BJP will not leave any stone to dethrone Congress or any rival party for that matter...Anything that is legal will be tried so have no doubts about it...and to be honest this is what is expected from them...also this is not a new ploy!!....Let me take the opportunity to remind you of a famous "Vote of No Confidence" where BJP lost by 1 vote even though the speaker was from BJP(and as per rules could not vote )...now that was not a murder of democracy(bringing down Vajpayee govt.) but a tricky maneuver played within the rules by opposition.....Also Wherever they/anybody crossed the line SC intervened and shown them the mirror...beautiful checks and balances of a functioning democracy.....

Also this whole saga is a prime example of why Congress leadership is incompetent....They were fukcing slow in GOA and Manipur...In a fractured mandate the first step is that you need to cobble up the required electorate number...and what was congress doing there?? In Goa they couldn't even muster up their own leader, forget about mustering up the magic number...Now compare that with BJP...even a thumping win in UP/Uttarakhand didn't deter them from going for the kill....Do you think Goa and Manipur maneuver was an afterthought??...It was certainly Not....Plan B was prepared well before and executed to near perfection...Now compare that with Congress show...Also every single leader who lost in these elections was out there giving a press conference sharing their thoughts of what happened...even if Mayawati gave a bizzare reasoning she atleast came out and shared her mind....but RG....no idea where was RG then?? Unfortunately congress behaves like a headless chicken these days...and blaming BJP wont help...

Look BJP will not leave any stone to dethrone Congress or any rival party for that matter...Anything that is legal will be tried so have no doubts about it...and to be honest this is what is expected from them...also this is not a new ploy!!....Let me take the opportunity to remind you of a famous "Vote of No Confidence" where BJP lost by 1 vote even though the speaker was from BJP(and as per rules could not vote )...now that was not a murder of democracy(bringing down Vajpayee govt.) but a tricky maneuver played within the rules by opposition.....Also Wherever they/anybody crossed the line SC intervened and shown them the mirror...beautiful checks and balances of a functioning democracy.....

Also this whole saga is a prime example of why Congress leadership is incompetent....They were fukcing slow in GOA and Manipur...In a fractured mandate the first step is that you need to cobble up the required electorate number...and what was congress doing there?? In Goa they couldn't even muster up their own leader, forget about mustering up the magic number...Now compare that with BJP...even a thumping win in UP/Uttarakhand didn't deter them from going for the kill....Do you think Goa and Manipur maneuver was an afterthought??...It was certainly Not....Plan B was prepared well before and executed to near perfection...Now compare that with Congress show...Also every single leader who lost in these elections was out there giving a press conference sharing their thoughts of what happened...even if Mayawati gave a bizzare reasoning she atleast came out and shared her mind....but RG....no idea where was RG then?? Unfortunately congress behaves like a headless chicken these days...and blaming BJP wont help...

i think SC already asked for floor test...

Well BJP at least should abandon criminal candidates from getting seats... yet in UP 80 + MLA got criminal cases against them... BJP supposed to set new trend... FREE FROM GUNDARAJ ...

i think SC already asked for floor test...

Well BJP at least should abandon criminal candidates from getting seats... yet in UP 80 + MLA got criminal cases against them... BJP supposed to set new trend... FREE FROM GUNDARAJ ...
Not gonna happen....and it is not BJP or for that matter any party that can set this trend....Trend needs to be set up by you and me...the Voters....think about it....If Bihar is still going to vote on caste then how on this earth can any party field candidates oblivious to that fact?? Mayawati fielded more than 100 Muslim candidates and openly bragged about it...why...because had she got the so called Muslim vote consolidation along with her 25% dalit core vote, situation would have been very different in UP...EVM's would have functioned absolutely normal :lol:...

MLA's with criminal b/g are in elections because money power is required to win and these gundas have that in plenty...please always keep in mind...one needs to have customer to set up a market...if there is a demand there is going to be supply....people sell votes for money, people do vote based on caste/religion equations as well...of lately trend is shifting...because Modi wave has consolidated the aspirational India...a India who don't give two hoots about caste/money but development...no doubts BJP is the biggest beneficiary because rest of parties are still hoping about votes consolidation on caste/religion and are unable to cobble up aspirational India behind them....

Before you ask me about Bihar/Delhi check this. If you want we can go more into details as well...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-but-tops-vote-share/articleshow/49738949.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-share-almost-intact/articleshow/46186474.cms

So, there will be a new Defense, Home, Finance minsters soon.

The entire cabinet is going to be reshuffled.

Booo not my DM .

Bring back parrikar , he pushed & approved bills faster than anyone else

Defense Minister changed. Still the same party and the same system will follow.

Back
Top Bottom