What's new

Arresting the Indian diplomat was just. She isn't the victim, her maid is

Of course not. -.- But are you going to get anywhere in rational discussion with somebody like him.

And New Zealand and science is mutually exclusive. Nothing except sheep, sheep and more sheep.

And pregnant 16 year olds at the bus stop smoking pot while they're meant to be in school.

Don't deny it :3

Smoking pot is mildly interesting. I live in Hamilton. Nothing interesting happens. But pregnant 16 year olds, yes. And in our region, it is cows, cows, cows. Should be the wet dream of an Indian Hindu but I am an Atheist so.

Discussion into Pakistanis like him pretty much descend into that. I know the faults of India, so I don't have the jingoistic blinders on like him.

I was in Sydney early this month. Cool place :3

Smoking pot is mildly interesting. I live in Hamilton. Nothing interesting happens. But pregnant 16 year olds, yes. And in our region, it is cows, cows, cows. Should be the wet dream of an Indian Hindu but I am an Atheist so.

Discussion into Pakistanis like him pretty much descend into that. I know the faults of India, so I don't have the jingoistic blinders on like him.

I was in Sydney early this month. Cool place :3

If you've ever been to South Auckland, you'll know what I mean.

NZ used to be such a nice place. :(

I don't live in India because i want to live in a society that encourages rationalism, scientific temper and gender equality.

Only western countries and some other countries do that

Oh and you enjoy the fruits of western science and still believe in the backward concept of a religion like Islam.

Unlike you, I know that religion are just constructed to exploit people's fears.

it doesn't matter to me what religion was constructed for.
i don't mind living a life style of a muslim i actually like it better.
you on the other hand better be damn sure that religion really was contracted to control people lol, because when you die and if you wake up then your fucked lol.
if i die and it goes black i don't care i can live with it lol. but if there is light on the other side then your screwed lol.

it doesn't matter to me what religion was constructed for.
i don't mind living a life style of a muslim i actually like it better.
you on the other hand better be damn sure that religion really was contracted to control people lol, because when you die and if you wake up then your fucked lol.
if i die and it goes black i don't care i can live with it lol. but if there is light on the other side then your screwed lol.

You have as much chance of me to go to hell because you hop you better picked the right sect, the right religion.

On the dice of religion you and I are dealt the same odds.

Don't get me wrong, religion is great as a community organiser, but when it comes to dictate public life that's the problem.

And my position is that the Priests whatever the religion is either needs to stick to doing charity work or get REAL Jobs.

I don't live in India because i want to live in a society that encourages rationalism, scientific temper and gender equality.

Only western countries and some other countries do that

Oh and you enjoy the fruits of western science and still believe in the backward concept of a religion like Islam.

Unlike you, I know that religion are just constructed to exploit people's fears.

This comment was so stupid I actually couldn't stop laughing.

You are not serious are you :unsure:

Insulting religion will get you kicked out of this forum.

Well it's easy to see why Indians think it's ok to have slave labor and indentured labor, you just have to visit India and see how the poor are treated. The one think I noticed is Indians are very good at burying their heads in the sand, have a look at the story on CNN about the woman who went to India and was so scared, read the comments form other women who have been to India. Until India see the massive problems it has India and Indians will never change, so there is no point in anyone saying anything to them, they don't care, so let them deal with it their way.

Well it's easy to see why Indians think it's ok to have slave labor and indentured labor, you just have to visit India and see how the poor are treated. The one think I noticed is Indians are very good at burying their heads in the sand, have a look at the story on CNN about the woman who went to India and was so scared, read the comments form other women who have been to India. Until India see the massive problems it has India and Indians will never change, so there is no point in anyone saying anything to them, they don't care, so let them deal with it their way.
you are right .. in most part. But that is not what happened. It was not slave labour.
She was paid less than what local law stipulates. That is obviously wrong.
However
The amount is quite high by Indian standard when she was sent there.
(which is why she agreed to go there, to begin with). Her accommodation and food was paid by her employer.

So technically its a wrongdoing by her employer, but slave labour? I dont think so.

you are right .. in most part. But that is not what happened. It was not slave labour.
She was paid less than what local law stipulates. That is obviously wrong.
However
The amount is quite high by Indian standard when she was sent there.
(which is why she agreed to go there, to begin with). Her accommodation and food was paid by her employer.

So technically its a wrongdoing by her employer, but slave labour? I dont think so.

A3 visa guidelines were drawn by USCIS to protect the maids' wage rights and food and accomodation is explicitly stated as should be very minimum of the total compensation payed. Also many of these maids' passports are withheld by the embassy - what does that amounts to? slavery and human trafficking as they are denied a legal travel document and they are at the mercy of the IFS officials.

'Sangeeta isn't the first maid at the Indian mission to have taken this route," said Aseem Chhabra, a veteran Indian journalist based in New York. "See the thing is that these women are brought over from India on 30,000 rupees ($600). The embassy keeps their passports - so they are bound in some way and cannot escape. So many of them run away as they can still make more money living illegally in the United States," Chhabra told Al Jazeera.

'Nannygate' rocks India-US relations - Features - Al Jazeera English

A3 visa guidelines were drawn by USCIS to protect the maids' wage rights and food and accomodation is explicitly stated as should be very minimum of the total compensation payed. Also many of these maids' passports are withheld by the embassy - what does that amounts to? slavery and human trafficking as they are denied a legal travel document and they are at the mercy of the IFS officials.

'Sangeeta isn't the first maid at the Indian mission to have taken this route," said Aseem Chhabra, a veteran Indian journalist based in New York. "See the thing is that these women are brought over from India on 30,000 rupees ($600). The embassy keeps their passports - so they are bound in some way and cannot escape. So many of them run away as they can still make more money living illegally in the United States," Chhabra told Al Jazeera.

'Nannygate' rocks India-US relations - Features - Al Jazeera English
keeping somebody's passport is obviously wrong. Keeping that aside:
The employer hired her (among thousands of eligible and willing people who will love to work with that pay) and would want to be protected from her being hired by somebody else. These people are long term employees, she was working earlier in another country probably with similar package. You wont want to lose them.

Her many family members work with Indian embassy within India and abroad. Its a lucrative position for a maid, please dont make it look like something of an abuse.
When you talk of slave labour, people think of something else. I know technically you are right.

Of course not. -.- But are you going to get anywhere in rational discussion with somebody like him?

And New Zealand and science is mutually exclusive. Nothing except sheep, sheep and more sheep.

And pregnant 16 year olds at the bus stop smoking pot while they're meant to be in school.

Don't deny it :3
Guess you haven't seen their state-of-the-art sheep and pot laboratories!

keeping somebody's passport is obviously wrong. Keeping that aside:
The employer hired her (among thousands of eligible and willing people who will love to work with that pay) and would want to be protected from her being hired by somebody else. These people are long term employees, she was working earlier in another country probably with similar package. You wont want to lose them.

Her many family members work with Indian embassy within India and abroad. Its a lucrative position for a maid, please dont make it look like something of an abuse.
When you talk of slave labour, people think of something else. I know technically you are right.

What is the need to protect the employment or the need for nannies for running away if they are paid the minimum salary prescribed by A3 visa? If they are paid the minimum salary, the nannies will not risk losing their legal status and go work for someone else illegally where they will be paid the same salary.

You or me do not know what transpired with this maid until the court verdict comes out but I can say this - it takes unusual courage for an Indian employee to go against the employer in US. I have seen even H1B professionals who were harassed but legally in the right afraid of approaching the authorities unless they are pushed to the edge, suck up every dirt the employer throws at them. Here is a nanny who is in the wrong for filing the visa falsely along with the consular official. Do you think she is that conniving chanakya to plan everything?(And do not look at it in isolation - 2 other Indian diplomats' were found guilty not to mention that there were other foreign diplomats who payed restitution for abusing the maids) . And how often we have seen a stay at home maid in India work from morning till night without a break of even a day? And can you deny the situation wouldn't have happened here in US with the maid?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom