What's new

Army officers clashed with jawans in Ladakh

While I do not know all the details, why is the assumption by default that the "officers" are at fault? Jawans are no angels and make mistakes and are put up for punishment. Every now and then you run into a chap who has a short fuse and you can end up with such incidents. Obviously in this case someone took the matter out of the unit as normally these sort of things are kept within the unit and handled appropriately as it can very easily become a matter of izzat for the unit.

Officers and men alike are humans and can make mistakes, but this is where discipline comes into place and keeps officers and ranks in check. To me for it to become a news item at the national level means something else was building up in the unit for things to come down to fist fights between the troops and their officers.

The grapevine has it that this was a unit with a previous record.

i dont mind officers'/jawans' spouses or families witnessing a field fire, but i do mind a soldier or any other guy misbehaving with the officer or his wife for that matter.

i am not sure if the jawan misbehaved with the officer himself or his wife as the story is still sketchy, but the kind of emotional response from the Major Saab indicates that his spouse was probably involved, and this in turn speaks poor both of the character of that jawan in particular and the discipline of the unit in general. It also speaks volumes of the frustration at the national level, no? i can dwell more at it if you guys want...

Commanding Officer hurt as Major, jawans clash in Leh
Ajay Banerjee & Ehsan Fazili/TNS

New Delhi/Srinagar, May 11
In a virtual free-for-all, soldiers and officers of an Army unit posted at a remote area of Ladakh clashed among themselves after a jawan allegedly misbehaved with an officer’s wife yesterday.

Among the six injured were the Commanding Officer (CO) of the 226 Field Regiment, Colonel Prasad Kadam, and a Major.

The Army has ordered a court of inquiry and the injured are being treated at the Leh Military Hospital. The Defence Ministry has also sought a report. Army Chief General VK Singh spoke to Northern Army Commander KT Parnaik and discussed the issue.

Army spokesman Colonel Jagdeep Dahiya said the situation was under control.

The incident took place at Mahe near the Nyoma airfield in Leh, about 50 km from the Line of Actual Control, reports said.

Sources said the Regiment — some 550 men and officers — had just finished its firing practice last evening when a fight broke out after a ‘sahayak’ (identified as Suman Ghosh) allegedly misbehaved with a Major’s wife.

The Major then allegedly beat up the jawan and did not allow his medical treatment, fuelling anger among the colleagues. The situation worsened after news reached the Commanding Officer, who reportedly shouted at the Major for his behaviour. The Major, accompanied by five of his colleagues, then, allegedly assaulted the CO in the presence of the jawans, a PTI report said.

The jawans briefly took control of the armoury, but did not withdraw any weapons, sources said. The unit was cordoned off this morning by the Army and state police. The General Office Commanding (GOC) 14 Corps Lt Gen Ravi Dastane visited the place this morning.

Superintendent of Police (Leh) Vivek Gupta was camping in Nyoma along with heavy reinforcements following a report by the Sub-Divisional Magistrate that Army jawans, armed with sticks and knives, were holding a protest, sources said.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

as mentioned the officers wife was involved and the sahayak/helper misbehaved with her the officers reaction was not apt at the situation i believe that the entire scenario became out of control because of the naive behaviour of the commanding officer.
i am against the very concept of a sahayak.

families of officers visiting ranges is a normal thing not only it inspires the wards of the officers it also enhances their interest to pursue army as a carrier.

u should watch a bollywood movie named 'Shaurya'
its not that interesting,but it is very much related to the topic(maybe)

COC should be followed and insubordination should be quashed.

Separately discipline the seniors, but don't honor anyone's insubordination.

This has to be taken seriously, rank insubordination is punishable as it is but when you raise your hand against an officer, you stray from all that is sacred and revered in the military world. An officer is like a father to his formation, nobody messes with the father.

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Putting a serious question mark on its image as disciplined force, Army officers of a regiment posted at a forward base in Ladakh clashed with jawans over some trivial issue.

Sources told Zee News, Friday, officers of the 226 Field Regiment posted at Nyoma in eastern Ladakh, 150 km from Leh, were involved in a scuffle with jawans of the same unit after a jawan refused to obey orders by superiors yesterday evening.

Some jawans are said to have suffered injuries.

Commenting on the situation, Army headquarters said that, "Due to some administrative reasons, there was a scuffle in an artillery unit during field firing. The incident is under investigation and necessary action will be taken.

Nyoma is a strategic post located just 40 kilometres from the Chinese border.

The Indian Air Force had reactivated an Advanced Landing Ground in 2009 at Nyoma, underlying its importance in security structure of the country.

The reported clash, as per some sources serious in nature, is a cause of concern as units posted at forward bases have to maintain high level of vigil and if they lack discipline then it surely would be a cause of concern for the Army establishment.

I hope in all this ruckus there were guys who were chanting Phadda Phadda Phadda .:D

Those Jawans should kick the crap out of their corrupt, snobbish officers.........
Hey relax dude! You talk as if your taking sides here. And how do you say the officers involved were 'corrupt' and snobbish'? Don't talk like the village idiot next door. You know squat of what actually happened so cool your radiator and go get some fresh air.

Your comment is nothing but nonsensical twaddle, pathetic and uncalled for. (Are you so screwed up because you failed to qualify for the Army? Grapes are sour, what?) :angry:

This is actually a pretty huge flaw in our Army. No matter what happens, you dont go around punching people you work with, especially at the Army level. I will wait for more details in terms of what exactly happened, but situation needs to be addressed properly.

The fact that physical altercation took place means that most likely this frustration has been going around in this specific unit for a while, and things finally boiled over with the fist fight(which was eventually going to happen). The people at fault need to be very severely punished to set an example.

Commanding Officer hurt as Major, jawans clash in Leh
Ajay Banerjee & Ehsan Fazili/TNS

New Delhi/Srinagar, May 11
In a virtual free-for-all, soldiers and officers of an Army unit posted at a remote area of Ladakh clashed among themselves after a jawan allegedly misbehaved with an officer’s wife yesterday.

Among the six injured were the Commanding Officer (CO) of the 226 Field Regiment, Colonel Prasad Kadam, and a Major.

The Army has ordered a court of inquiry and the injured are being treated at the Leh Military Hospital. The Defence Ministry has also sought a report. Army Chief General VK Singh spoke to Northern Army Commander KT Parnaik and discussed the issue.

Army spokesman Colonel Jagdeep Dahiya said the situation was under control.

The incident took place at Mahe near the Nyoma airfield in Leh, about 50 km from the Line of Actual Control, reports said.

Sources said the Regiment — some 550 men and officers — had just finished its firing practice last evening when a fight broke out after a ‘sahayak’ (identified as Suman Ghosh) allegedly misbehaved with a Major’s wife.

The Major then allegedly beat up the jawan and did not allow his medical treatment, fuelling anger among the colleagues. The situation worsened after news reached the Commanding Officer, who reportedly shouted at the Major for his behaviour. The Major, accompanied by five of his colleagues, then, allegedly assaulted the CO in the presence of the jawans, a PTI report said.

The jawans briefly took control of the armoury, but did not withdraw any weapons, sources said. The unit was cordoned off this morning by the Army and state police. The General Office Commanding (GOC) 14 Corps Lt Gen Ravi Dastane visited the place this morning.

Superintendent of Police (Leh) Vivek Gupta was camping in Nyoma along with heavy reinforcements following a report by the Sub-Divisional Magistrate that Army jawans, armed with sticks and knives, were holding a protest, sources said.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

as mentioned the officers wife was involved and the sahayak/helper misbehaved with her the officers reaction was not apt at the situation i believe that the entire scenario became out of control because of the naive behaviour of the commanding officer.
i am against the very concept of a sahayak.

families of officers visiting ranges is a normal thing not only it inspires the wards of the officers it also enhances their interest to pursue army as a carrier.

If this news report is true(especially the part in red), this is very disturbing and something to be very worried about. No respect among fellow army people, no discipline.

Even its true how that information released in press. This news only brought bad reputation on our disciplined force and its crucial time to devise specialized laws for Journalism.

It seems the major lost his mind ,first he hit that jawan in the fit of rage and then attacked his CO for being reprimanded .

His career is over .I hope his wifey don't leave him.

Hey relax dude! You talk as if your taking sides here. And how do you say the officers involved were 'corrupt' and snobbish'? Don't talk like the village idiot next door. You know squat of what actually happened so cool your radiator and go get some fresh air.

Your comment is nothing but nonsensical twaddle, pathetic and uncalled for. (Are you so screwed up because you failed to qualify for the Army? Grapes are sour, what?) :angry:

What I commented even before knowing full details of the incident...turns out to be worthwhile......

It takes common sense to analyse such incidents....see my post below, you'll understand why I took side with the jawans....

The problem lies deeper than you guys think.....

A lower ranked official won't risk everything and go against a higher ranked official unless there is enough reason(especially in a strict and disciplinary organization like the ARMY--where the consequence of such an action could be severe)

And it turns out that, the snobbish major is at fault here....he beats the jawans and then the Commanding Officer...

P.S: by "Officers", I meant the Army's top brass.....and they are surely corrupt if the Army Chief is to be believed instead of you.....:D

So you see, the Army's top brass is both corrupt and snobbish.....:azn:

Back
Top Bottom