What's new

Armata - Russia’s Top-Secret Battle Tank Captured on Video

QHlk80l.jpg

Just like the Boomerang i am impressed at the thickness of the modular side armor. It looks like the Armata and Boomerang place crew protection first and everything else second where as some of the old Russian tanks and armored personnel carriers size and cost was most important. The smaller a vehicle the more affordable it is.

From this angle the turret looks a lot wider and lower then what i previously thought. I wonder if the turret also has some modular armor. I am curious to know what the exact weight of this tank is, it is by far much larger then any other Russian tank. The hatch and modular armor is also very thick also thicker then any armor we have seen on previous Russian tanks, i doubt that this thing would be in the same class as a T-90 which is a medium to light tank, i looks like it would be close to 60 tons or more, which is a good thing because a 48 ton tank is far too light for today's anti tank rockets, rpg's and sabots. It should be interesting to know what kind of power the engine makes, i have heard everything from 1300hp, to 1500hp, to 1800hp, all the way up to 2200hp.

Also , Armata chassis will have two variants , one with engine in the back and one with engine in the front.

Here is a photo i edited of the Armata. I lightened the picture and played with saturation, now we can have a better look at the modular armor:

armata front 2.jpg

As one commentator has written to the video with the "Armata" - all over the world paparazzi hunting for celebrities, and only in Russia - for the tanks. :-)

After editing the original photo i noticed something about the modular armor. The modular armor that is easily seen after enhancing the photo consists of 5 modular blocks, after that it transitions into a different type of modular armor. You can see it on both tanks but especially on the tank to the far right. The second set of armor tapers off into a 45 degree angle from the top.

armata front 2 red.png

Also , Armata chassis will have two variants , one with engine in the back and one with engine in the front.
i dont think it is a good idea to put the engine in front of the tank. it will be a sitting duck to thermal cameras.. Only Israel did it in their merkava to save their soldiers because they knew that Countries around them doesnt have those capabilities..

i dont think it is a good idea to put the engine in front of the tank. it will be a sitting duck to thermal cameras.. Only Israel did it in their merkava to save their soldiers because they knew that Countries around them doesnt have those capabilities..

Armata MBT will have engine at the back , while Armata based heavy IFV will have engine at the front , filling the role kinda like Israeli Namer but with firepower.

Israelis also plan IFV Namer variant.

i know about them, thanks again for sharing, but BAE have plans to do it in several years and nobody could prove how successful its yet.. While you are on silent hunting mode and use Auxiliary power unit, may be you can hide it. But, if you use the 1500hp engine, its really hard to hide it.. Thats why some countries plan to move on electric engine in the future..

i would give quote from Turkish Altay tank producers..
"Otokar General Manager Serdar Görgüç has announced that the company is considering the development of an electric engine for the Altay. Görgüç stated that an electric engine would reduce the ability of the enemy to identify the tank with thermal cameras in the battle field. He added that “Vehicles with internal combustion can be caught on thermal cameras". Otokar developed an electric engine for its buses and is working on retrofitting its design to the Altay tank."

SAAB also developed a system called Barracuda to reduce thermal signature on vehicles.
5PNOS7S.jpg

SAAB-Barracuda.jpg
Barracuda MCS more than camouflage
Having SAM or anti missile sistems, doesnt mean you have to stop producing missiles. i can give many examples... especially this coating havent proved itself yet. What if Russia wants to sell this tanks? as it is so sensitive information, you will not export the coating with it. Basically you have to look at it from different angles..
You can change whole Leopard engine withing 15-30 mins, you will not be able to do it. As Merkava was designed to carry soldiers, i dont really think it is a good idea. once you have IFV or all those BTR..

I've given examples of three different possible ways to address the issue of tank/thermal heat signature. I should at that many a spall-liner also serves as thermal insulator on the vehicle inside. One can also line the engine compartment with specific thermal insolator. There are ways to pre-cool exhaust.

This is a thermal image of Merkava. It does not appear that the engine compartment in particular stands out. I cannot verify for these that the engine is or has been running.
unledztu.jpg

84742f.jpg

Some M1 images
e307c33eae23.jpg

Nightvisionthermal.jpg

Strv 122 Leo2 without Barracuda
300px-Strv122_TIS_rear-left.jpg

300px-Strv122_TIS_front-right.jpg

Same with Barracuda

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom