What's new

Arjun MK-II user trials kicked off in Rajasthan

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India

I0dVx.jpg

User trials of Main Battle Tank, Arjun MK-II equipped with almost 75 new improved technologies and some other modified features as compared to Mark-I version have been kicked off in Rajasthan and are expected to continue for the coming few days. Defence Research and Development Organisation which has indigenously developed and manufactured this much awaited MBT with help of its various labs led by Chennai-based Combat Vehicle Research and Development Establishment has been conducting development trials for almost two years to test various technologies integrated into Arjun MK-II at different times as per the demands projected by Army.

However, as per a DRDO official, it is the first time, that all the integrated technologies including 16 major technologies are being tested at the same time. The user trials as per the officials started yesterday.

It is to be mentioned that Hyderabad based Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory of DRDO has developed the armour for Mk II version of Arjun. “Talking about DRDO, we are satisfied with the end product and its results making it one of the most potent combat tanks for the Army with unmatched automatic target detection and destruction while offering maximum protection to the crew. Now, the Army is testing the same in Pokharan Firing Range in Rajasthan”, said an official adding that MK-II is heavier than Mk-I but has more speed and manoeuvrability as compared to lighter counterparts currently in service with Army.

However, DRDO is asserting that if all goes well, Army should place an order of at least 500 Arjun MK-II tanks for make it cost effective, production viable and continuous in terms of supply. “Army earlier inducted 124 Mk-I Arjun Tanks and then asked for an advanced version equipped with specified features and capabilities. However, to make it cost effective and viable for both the industry and the users, the order has to be increased well in time to at least 500 for Mk II version of Arjun MBT. If the Army is satisfied, the order of 500 should be placed in one go only since that would save time taken for various formalities and procedures of a fresh order”, said a DRDO official while speaking to The Times of India.

Amongst the features which have been modified in MK-II version of Arjun vis-a-vis its Mk-I version are night vision capabilities with thermal imaging system for detecting all kinds of missiles, Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) providing greater protection to crew and tank, mine ploughs, ability to fire Anti-tank missile with 120 mm main gun, Advanced Air Defense gun capable of shooting down Helicopters with a 360 degree coverage, Automatic Target Tracking (ATT) lending a greater accuracy when it comes to moving targets and superior Laser Warning and Control systems.

DRDO official said that Arjun MK-II is equipped with integrated display system capable of detecting targets, their number and location while the thermal imaging unit facilitates the tank commander to see upto half a kilometre.

However, the German engine of Arjun Mk-I have again been integrated in MK-II as well despite claims of an indigenous engine as per the sources. Officials are attributing the same to the small order being proposed by Army and said that a separate plant for manufacturing engines cannot be put up for such limited order.

Link - Arjun MK-II user trials kicked off in Rajasthan | idrw.org

I0dVx.jpg

User trials of Main Battle Tank, Arjun MK-II equipped with almost 75 new improved technologies and some other modified features as compared to Mark-I version have been kicked off in Rajasthan and are expected to continue for the coming few days. Defence Research and Development Organisation which has indigenously developed and manufactured this much awaited MBT with help of its various labs led by Chennai-based Combat Vehicle Research and Development Establishment has been conducting development trials for almost two years to test various technologies integrated into Arjun MK-II at different times as per the demands projected by Army.

However, as per a DRDO official, it is the first time, that all the integrated technologies including 16 major technologies are being tested at the same time. The user trials as per the officials started yesterday.

It is to be mentioned that Hyderabad based Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory of DRDO has developed the armour for Mk II version of Arjun. “Talking about DRDO, we are satisfied with the end product and its results making it one of the most potent combat tanks for the Army with unmatched automatic target detection and destruction while offering maximum protection to the crew. Now, the Army is testing the same in Pokharan Firing Range in Rajasthan”, said an official adding that MK-II is heavier than Mk-I but has more speed and manoeuvrability as compared to lighter counterparts currently in service with Army.

However, DRDO is asserting that if all goes well, Army should place an order of at least 500 Arjun MK-II tanks for make it cost effective, production viable and continuous in terms of supply. “Army earlier inducted 124 Mk-I Arjun Tanks and then asked for an advanced version equipped with specified features and capabilities. However, to make it cost effective and viable for both the industry and the users, the order has to be increased well in time to at least 500 for Mk II version of Arjun MBT. If the Army is satisfied, the order of 500 should be placed in one go only since that would save time taken for various formalities and procedures of a fresh order”, said a DRDO official while speaking to The Times of India.

Amongst the features which have been modified in MK-II version of Arjun vis-a-vis its Mk-I version are night vision capabilities with thermal imaging system for detecting all kinds of missiles, Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) providing greater protection to crew and tank, mine ploughs, ability to fire Anti-tank missile with 120 mm main gun, Advanced Air Defense gun capable of shooting down Helicopters with a 360 degree coverage, Automatic Target Tracking (ATT) lending a greater accuracy when it comes to moving targets and superior Laser Warning and Control systems.

DRDO official said that Arjun MK-II is equipped with integrated display system capable of detecting targets, their number and location while the thermal imaging unit facilitates the tank commander to see upto half a kilometre.

However, the German engine of Arjun Mk-I have again been integrated in MK-II as well despite claims of an indigenous engine as per the sources. Officials are attributing the same to the small order being proposed by Army and said that a separate plant for manufacturing engines cannot be put up for such limited order.

Link - Arjun MK-II user trials kicked off in Rajasthan | idrw.org

Excellent!

I really hope that IA orders this in much larger triple digits than the 300 total ordered so far for Mk1.

It looks more promising.

Hope to see it in IA tank units in full fury.

Imagine this beast, backed up by Apaches and LCHs. :devil:

Excellent!

I really hope that IA orders this in much larger triple digits than the 300 total ordered so far for Mk1. It looks more promising.

Hope to see it in IA tank units in full fury. Imagine this beast, backed up by Apaches and LCHs. :devil:

Relax! Your optimism is a little misplaced!

Paradoxically, while the tank itself has demonstrated high speed, firepower, and mobility, at 67 T, the tank is too heavy to be deployed across the border with Pakistan. It is unable to effectively traverse terrain filled with natural and/or artificial obstacles. Or areas criss-crossed with rivers and canals. That rules out most places in Rajasthan, Punjab and the mountainous terrain of the J&K sector.

This has forced the army to identify areas where the Arjun-II can safely be deployed and its operational units based. This probably means the Arjun-II will not fight alongside the T-90s and T-72s. It will certainly not be part of the Indian Army’s strike corps formations, as it could get bogged down in unfamiliar terrain. This runs counter to the philosophy of armoured formations, which are designed for mobile offensive operations deep inside enemy territory.

Unlike the T series tanks that have been airlifted to high altitudes like Leh and even out of the country, the Arjun cannot be airlifted by the IL-76 and C-130 J transports of the Indian Air Force (IAF). The C-17 Globemaster inducted by the Indian Air Force (IAF) has a maximum payload of 75 tonnes — insufficient to airlift the 67 tonne Arjun Mk-2 with attendant support equipment.

In a nutshell, they would most likely be used only in holding formations to be used against the enemy's strike corps, defeating the very basic concept of the requirement of tactical and strategic mobility of armored formations.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but then I thought I need to put this out so people don't start celebrating prematurely!

Paradoxically, while the tank itself has demonstrated high speed, firepower, and mobility, at 67 T, the tank is too heavy to be deployed across the border with Pakistan. It is unable to effectively traverse terrain filled with natural and/or artificial obstacles. Or areas criss-crossed with rivers and canals. That rules out most places in Rajasthan, Punjab and the mountainous terrain of the J&K sector.

What about the lesser ground pressure exerted which is even better than the T-90s that the IA top brass eagerly lapped up for a repeat order?

Funny how such claims have been debunked again and again by the DRDO while Army top brass is adamant without any proof other than 'import is better'

This has forced the army to identify areas where the Arjun-II can safely be deployed and its operational units based. This probably means the Arjun-II will not fight alongside the T-90s and T-72s. It will certainly not be part of the Indian Army’s strike corps formations, as it could get bogged down in unfamiliar terrain. This runs counter to the philosophy of armoured formations, which are designed for mobile offensive operations deep inside enemy territory.

Where the fck was the 50T requirement when Arjun was in the making?

It was never there. Instead, the Army brought it up one term before the tank was up and ready.

If you remember, the field trials of Mk1 that succeeded beating the T-90s also included unfamiliar terrain and obstacle clearance apart from ground pressure, maneuverability, gun stabilization and other key aspects to be tested.

Arjun came forth fair and square and IA was left fumbling for words and trying to find excuses.

I am the last person to usually take DRDO's side, but here they have PROVEN that IA is simply giving excuse to import against a delayed but still quality platform made in house.

Come on man, don't you remember how they were left red faced on why they're not accepting Arjuns even after successful pitting?

Unlike the T series tanks that have been airlifted to high altitudes like Leh and even out of the country, the Arjun cannot be airlifted by the IL-76 and C-130 J transports of the Indian Air Force (IAF). The C-17 Globemaster inducted by the Indian Air Force (IAF) has a maximum payload of 75 tonnes — insufficient to airlift the 67 tonne Arjun Mk-2 with attendant support equipment.

MBTs are anyway not going to be fielded in the Himalayan terrain.

Tell me, do you think that any of the MBTs were ever going to be fielded in a conflict which starts an average altitude of 10,000+ feet? Here, there is a thing called light tanks category that has smaller guns, are lighter in armour and can tread in Himalayan surrounding.

Arjuns and T-90s and even the 72s were never meant to be used on the Eastern theatre.

Check out the Chinese light tanks in China section and see what difference I am talking about.

The standard heavy MBTs were meant ONLY for the Western sector because tactically, a tank battle with conventional MBTs is IMPOSSIBLE here in the Himalayas.

There's a separate category of tanks altogether needed.

It is a terrible excuse and a last minute clause that IA inserted to reject the tank.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but then I thought I need to put this out so people don't start celebrating prematurely!

Too bad they didn't participate when Arjun was being made.

I have already mentioned above some things that the Army has failed to clarify since the beginning.

What about the lesser ground pressure exerted which is even better than the T-90s that the IA top brass eagerly lapped up for a repeat order?

Funny how such claims have been debunked again and again by the DRDO while Army top brass is adamant without any proof other than 'import is better'

Where the fck was the 50T requirement when Arjun was in the making?

It was never there. Instead, the Army brought it up one term before the tank was up and ready.

If you remember, the field trials of Mk1 that succeeded beating the T-90s also included unfamiliar terrain and obstacle clearance apart from ground pressure, maneuverability, gun stabilization and other key aspects to be tested.

Arjun came forth fair and square and IA was left fumbling for words and trying to find excuses.

I am the last person to usually take DRDO's side, but here they have PROVEN that IA is simply giving excuse to import against a delayed but still quality platform made in house.

Come on man, don't you remember how they were left red faced on why they're not accepting Arjuns even after successful pitting?

MBTs are anyway not going to be fielded in the Himalayan terrain.

Tell me, do you think that any of the MBTs were ever going to be fielded in a conflict which starts an average altitude of 10,000+ feet? Here, there is a thing called light tanks category that has smaller guns, are lighter in armour and can tread in Himalayan surrounding.

Arjuns and T-90s and even the 72s were never meant to be used on the Eastern theatre.

Check out the Chinese light tanks in China section and see what difference I am talking about.

The standard heavy MBTs were meant ONLY for the Western sector because tactically, a tank battle with conventional MBTs is IMPOSSIBLE here in the Himalayas.

There's a separate category of tanks altogether needed.

It is a terrible excuse and a last minute clause that IA inserted to reject the tank.

Too bad they didn't participate when Arjun was being made.

I have already mentioned above some things that the Army has failed to clarify since the beginning.

When the tanks are put to test, are these parameters not tested?
How was the performance of Arjuna when compared with T90?

If this weight issue was going to limit the tanks usability, why was it allowed to go ahead with the development in the first place.

It seems to be a case of hoping they(drdo) don't succeed then if they actually deliver it, ensure that they don't suceed.

We got a superb paltform in the form of Arjun MK1. Now comes MK2. Great news. Since the design and capabilities are evolutionary, we should come up with more and more version. Army should put up realistic GSQR. From MK2 it is evident that we are learning very fast.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...rials-kicked-off-rajasthan.html#ixzz2bvnTh9b5

Does this mean that the new engine development work is over? is it ready for production?

Excellent!

I really hope that IA orders this in much larger triple digits than the 300 total ordered so far for Mk1.

It looks more promising.

Hope to see it in IA tank units in full fury.

Imagine this beast, backed up by Apaches and LCHs. :devil:

It seems that Bheem will be ordered too

Recent news suggest revival of Bheem Project

Between every portion of Arjun MkI,I like the hull section most.Arjun MkI has probably the most well protected hull in the world after M1A2 with an isolated ammunition compartment,only draw back in Arjun MkI is absence of blow off panels.Other than that,it's hull is the most well developped and protected.

Arjun is out of question in NE agreed. But your post on West border is totally wrong.

Every armoured thrust is planned well in advance with Plan -A,B,C. They have dedicated bridges to cross obstacles. And it is true for T-90 as well as Arjun.

If ever time arises Arjuna will lead the dash and T-90 will cover/attack flanks.

We don't need Arjun to defend against armour , simple ATGM and field guns can do the job.

When the tanks are put to test, are these parameters not tested?
How was the performance of Arjuna when compared with T90?

If this weight issue was going to limit the tanks usability, why was it allowed to go ahead with the development in the first place.

It seems to be a case of hoping they(drdo) don't succeed then if they actually deliver it, ensure that they don't suceed.

All problems were about logistics and they(IA) have solved it already.

Last year tests were development tests the current tests are "user trials" ,They didn't release the video though but I can tell you that was mind blowing.

Unofficial news is IA is more than satisfied with MK-2 and a likely order of 300 new and upgrade of current MK-1 .
Lets wait for the results. DRDO has a tendency to boost things and IA has a past recored of pushing down Arjun.

For the people bitching about the weight of the Tank let me ask who formulated the GSQR? and why were they quite till near the end of the completion of the project? If there were no large order placed for this Tank it's just Bribe, Vodka and Russian wh@re's have killed an excellent indigenous project.

All problems were about logistics and they(IA) have solved it already.

Last year tests were development tests the current tests are "user trials" ,They didn't release the video though but I can tell you that was mind blowing.

Unofficial news is IA is more than satisfied with MK-2 and a likely order of 300 new and upgrade of current MK-1 .
Lets wait for the results. DRDO has a tendency to boost things and IA has a past recored of pushing down Arjun.

I like that part. Do post updates for us.

I like that part. Do post updates for us.

It was last year summer trials day and night but thats all I can tell you.
After that there were winter and monsoon trials but have not idea what happen there. Lost the contact with the contact ;)

For the people bitching about the weight of the Tank let me ask who formulated the GSQR? and why were they quite till near the end of the completion of the project? If there were no large order placed for this Tank it's just Bribe, Vodka and Russian wh@re's have killed an excellent indigenous project.
Let's not get carried away bro. If that were true the Russians wouldn't be b!tchong about its diminishing presence on the Indian defence scene- would they?

Back
Top Bottom