What's new

Argentina retires Dassault Mirage fleet

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
images

During a large-scale public air show, the Argentine Air Force (AAF) on 30 November officially decommissioned its fleet of ageing Dassault Mirage fighters after over four decades of active service.

The air display comprised one sample of each Mirage type used by the AAF: a Mirage IIIEA, a Mirage IIIDA, an IAI Finger, an IAI Dagger, and a Mirage 5P. Each aircraft was specially painted with a colour scheme including some from the Falklands War and others with tail art representing the years of service and remembering the names of the pilots killed in action.

A variety of aircraft from different AAF bases were showcased during the event, including the FAdeA (ex FMA) IA-58 Pucara and Lockheed Martin C130H Hercules.

To read the full article, Client Login
(120 of 209 words)

Argentina retires Dassault Mirage fleet | IHS Jane's 360

That is sad news for Argentina which thus also lose any supersonic ability.
To think it used to be that the Fuerza Aérea Argentina was the pride of the sub-continent.

It is also a defining day for fans of mil avia :

As of two days ago, Pakistan is the sole remaining user of the Mirage III-5 series!
And it will thus stay forever the last employer of the type.

Congratulations PAF :pakistan:

Great day all, Tay.

@Taygibay

Hello brother. . . Been long time. How's life been treating you sir? It's good to see that you're still an active and one of the most respected members of this forum. Your views and insights are held in highest regard and, it's always an honour talking to you. God bless you.

P.S, I'm really sorry for the national tragedy and shock that you as a nation had to endure. My condolences and respects for your loss and courage.

okey now gift those fighter to Pakistan who can operate them for a while as they have mirage rebuild factory before fulfilling JF-17 quota for PAF and get Brand new F-17 thunder .:-)

It's so nice to hear from you good @Drebin! It's been a while since you've been here.
Having seen your passage in the records, I hope you'll be able to be more regular.
It would be quite fine to see you more often.

There are such rightfully respectable members with more presence that I'll take a bit
of exception to your generous appraisal to preserve a semblance of humility. :ashamed:

Thanks for the comforting words; I knew such sentiments would come from such a good soul.
See you soon my friend, Tay.

okey now gift those fighter to Pakistan who can operate them for a while as they have mirage rebuild factory before fulfilling JF-17 quota for PAF and get Brand new F-17 thunder

Not a bad idea but the yield would be low. At most as parts inventory although possibly on
a select few structural parts. The last count on their 16 was that less than 10 were flying.
The cells are either aged or had a long exposure time with relative(-) maintenance. I'll try to
check for precise informations but half a dozen should however have remaining potential.

But yes, as a free gift to make the Rose III await the Thunder reaching full complement,
agreed, Tay.

Definirá el próximo gobierno la compra de 14 aviones israelíes - 11.11.2015 - LA NACION

Here's small link @monitor et al that's indicative of the cash woes of Argentina. The Kfirs that replaced
the envisioned JF-17 buy as much cheaper are about 35 years old ( and still too expensive ).
And they were supposed to take over for 40+ year old Mirages.
I would rather the PAF trust the ones it already owns and that Pakistan rebuilt itself.

The last Mirage acquired from France and Daggers from Israel do date back to the 1970s,
before the Falkland war.​
So confirmed as just for parts if acquired. It may even make sense to buy parts directly to save on transport.

Good day all, Tay.

That is sad news for Argentina which thus also lose any supersonic ability.
To think it used to be that the Fuerza Aérea Argentina was the pride of the sub-continent.

It is also a defining day for fans of mil avia :

As of two days ago, Pakistan is the sole remaining user of the Mirage III-5 series!
And it will thus stay forever the last employer of the type.

Congratulations PAF :pakistan:

Great day all, Tay.

oh come on .... I was expecting PAF will ask them give it to them :woot:

I was expecting PAF will ask them give it to them

Yeah, well that cash strapped, they may prefer a buyer, honestly but Pakistan is it, period.
Do remember that those last 16 are an eclectic mix with Nesher/aka Daggers locally and Mirage III and
Mirage 5P.
Unless Kfir users want the Dagger parts? ( Columbia and Sri Lanka )
The M III EA DA cells are 43 years old and have 130 000+ hours clocked / logged in!
The 5P are a little specific having been bought from Peru, trickling in from 1982 onward,

I'll just draw my hat off to the gallant Argentinian pilots that flew these machines operationally
until summer just passed and passed the torch for the last leg of this great plane's soon to
turn 60 ( 1956 ) history under the colors of the Pakistani Air Force and retire in this fair land.

The race is still on for the Mirage 5s though.
Good evening mzee and all, Tay.

Back
Top Bottom