What's new

Apache to give army more teeth

Bl[i]tZ

Reaction score
After the C-17 Globemaster III and the C-130J Hercules, it will be the turn of another US manufactured aircraft to prowl the Indian skies and perform air defence duties.

Boeing AH-64D Apache Block III is all set to bag the contract for the Indian Army’s procurement of 22 attack helicopters as the other Russian bidder Mi-28N ‘Night Hunter’ has failed to meet the requirements of the armed forces.

According to Russian news agency Novosti the Mi-28N ‘Night Hunter’ failed to meet the technical requirements and was found short on the sensors and combat systems integration leaving the AH-64D Apache Block III the only competitor.

India has issued a Request for Proposal for procuring 2.5 tonne twin engine helicopter with all weather and terrain capability in May 2008.

The AH-64D Apache Block III, Mi-28N ‘Night Hunter’ along Augusta Westland AW-129 Mangustu and Eurocopter Tiger were the other contenders for the 22 attack helicopters which is to replace the existing fleet of the army’s ageing attack helicopters.

However, Eurocopter Tiger and Augusta-129 Mangustu pulled out of the race for the tender some time back. Experts pointed out the selection of the US the manufactured chopper over the Russian Mi-28N ‘Night Hunter’ come as no surprise considering the recent acquisitions from the US.

For Russia, losing out on the deal will mean a big setback as it was hard selling the Mi-28 N along with other helicopters and short-range air defence at Aero India 2011.

“The AH-64D Apache Block III will complement the indigenously developed Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) once it is inducted into the armed forces. They will play an important role in strengthening the air defences by carrying out attacks against slow moving aerial targets, destruction of enemy air defence operations, support of combat search and rescue operations, anti-tank suites and scout duties,” Army sources said.

Apache to give army more teeth - India - DNA

I'm so fvking confused!!
Was the tender called by the IAF or IA??
I thought that these will replace the "Hind" choppers(which BTW,can still make either the AH64 or the Mi28 pee in their Dhotis:))
Anyways....some armored regiments will have to go through Hell(fire).

Why doesn't IA operate its own Air Wing? I believe you have a considerable amount of fixed wing aircraft and choppers in the Army.

they do...but a joint grid based operational capabilities between the 3 tiers is whats needed , for a multitude of mobility issues .

Flown and maintained by the IAF, but basically under IA....

the operational control is under the army at times of war . just as the marine strike jaguars based out of lohegaon Pune air base are under the navy operational control.
the IA also is looking at attack choppers . they want at least 150 of the LCH and may also go for the apache too . (no shortage of funds now a days :))
any one know the time frame as to when they will join the IAF?

Bl[i]tZ;2230382 said:
After the C-17 Globemaster III and the C-130J Hercules, it will be the turn of another US manufactured aircraft to prowl the Indian skies and perform air defence duties.

Boeing AH-64D Apache Block III is all set to bag the contract for the Indian Army’s procurement of 22 attack helicopters as the other Russian bidder Mi-28N ‘Night Hunter’ has failed to meet the requirements of the armed forces.

According to Russian news agency Novosti the Mi-28N ‘Night Hunter’ failed to meet the technical requirements and was found short on the sensors and combat systems integration leaving the AH-64D Apache Block III the only competitor.

India has issued a Request for Proposal for procuring 2.5 tonne twin engine helicopter with all weather and terrain capability in May 2008.

The AH-64D Apache Block III, Mi-28N ‘Night Hunter’ along Augusta Westland AW-129 Mangustu and Eurocopter Tiger were the other contenders for the 22 attack helicopters which is to replace the existing fleet of the army’s ageing attack helicopters.

However, Eurocopter Tiger and Augusta-129 Mangustu pulled out of the race for the tender some time back. Experts pointed out the selection of the US the manufactured chopper over the Russian Mi-28N ‘Night Hunter’ come as no surprise considering the recent acquisitions from the US.

For Russia, losing out on the deal will mean a big setback as it was hard selling the Mi-28 N along with other helicopters and short-range air defence at Aero India 2011.

“The AH-64D Apache Block III will complement the indigenously developed Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) once it is inducted into the armed forces. They will play an important role in strengthening the air defences by carrying out attacks against slow moving aerial targets, destruction of enemy air defence operations, support of combat search and rescue operations, anti-tank suites and scout duties,” Army sources said.

Apache to give army more teeth - India - DNA

Like before most of you will agree that they will going to order more may be 44 once these 22 arrives. I heard that IAF is looking to place an order for another 12+ C-130Js and 10 C-17s more.???

Like before most of you will agree that they will going to order more may be 44 once these 22 arrives. I heard that IAF is looking to place an order for another 12+ C-130Js and 10 C-17s more.???

I have heard the total number could touch 80-100 units by 2020.

Yes, we will take around 50 Apache.

There will be a follow on order of C-130Js around 6.

And as for C-17 Globemaster III we will order 6 more.

Deadline pressure on IAF to order more C-17s

We have a lot a lot of disscussion on who going to have Apaches .... IA or IAF
But my bet is still on IAF :D though I would love to see them in both :D

Code:
I have heard the total number could touch 80-100 units by 2020.

I too but in follow on order like 80/82 in 2014 after IA/IAF get along with first order in terms of operation, training, maintainance and man power

Code:

I too but in follow on order like 80/82 in 2014 after IA/IAF get along with first order in terms of operation, training, maintainance and man power

Of course, this is the way Indian defence procurement works-small intial order, larger follow-on orders.

Back
Top Bottom