What's new

Any truth that India is a dirty country?

Indians lack civic sense.. Maybe because it's so chaotic and crowded they dont respect personal space or the environment.. And contrary to belief it's not just the lower strata communities.. It lies across the country.. Rich and poor', educated and illiterate.. What i've noticed atleast with rich and middle class Indians they tend to keep their homes clean but sweep all the dirt on to the road.. Building millions of toilets is not going to solve the issue instilling good values does, Cos people are just going to litter no matter what if there are no dire consequences
the civic sense aspect is well known but it can be changed by showing a life that is cleaner and better. People in cleaner localities do not litter as much. I think we behave a bit like dogs. ;)
Local authorities should invest in garbage management and disposal. They should have bins at regular interval in roads, and high foot traffic areas.
There is one bit which needs regulation, its the hindus throwing dead bodies into 'sacred' rivers. That should be outlawed and criminal cases should be booked against such people.

Here in london, people litter too, if not as much. You are never too far from a bin. Even then the litters are cleaned every day, possibly twice. Smokers are the most insensitive people to littering, throwing cigarette butts everywhere.

I would ask you to provide arguments supporting such assertion.

Large cities can be kept clean only by large private players being given contracts to keep them clean. They put standard processes, large fleets and are accountable to service levels. In India even in megacities like Mumbai and Delhi it's the local corporator/ MLA who gets the cash and the responsibilities. They give contracts to cronies who can siphon off the cash. The results are there for all to see.

Large cities can be kept clean only by large private players being given contracts to keep them clean. They put standard processes, large fleets and are accountable to service levels. In India even in megacities like Mumbai and Delhi it's the local corporator/ MLA who gets the cash and the responsibilities. They give contracts to cronies who can siphon off the cash. The results are there for all to see.
is it true that local corporators give contract to private parties to keep their area clean? I thought the corporation/municipalities keep army of cleaners to do the job.
How normal is such practice? Tier2 cities? towns?

the civic sense aspect is well known but it can be changed by showing a life that is cleaner and better. People in cleaner localities do not litter as much. I think we behave a bit like dogs. ;)
Local authorities should invest in garbage management and disposal. They should have bins at regular interval in roads, and high foot traffic areas.
There is one bit which needs regulation, its the hindus throwing dead bodies into 'sacred' rivers. That should be outlawed and criminal cases should be booked against such people.

Here in london, people litter too, if not as much. You are never too far from a bin. Even then the litters are cleaned every day, possibly twice. Smokers are the most insensitive people to littering, throwing cigarette butts everywhere.

No offence mate.. But what i'm gonna state might get me mobbed and abused by the Hindu zealots here.. But the highly casteist and class structure in Indian society is a major cause as well.. Because certain jobs like sanitation are designated to certain communities and others dare not put their fingers in to it.. Quite literally

Yes people in other places like London do litter but most dont, Mostly done by teenagers, Delinquents, Bogans (Chav's to you pomms) :-) or homeless .. In India it's generally across the board.. The reason nobody cares nor are there consequences.. Sri Lankan mentality was the same a decade or so ago on littering (Not other sanitation issues) but strict rules and heavy fines meant that even ordinary people thinks twice before they throw something on the roads.. Hence thier cities have become spotless.. Why i took Lanka as an example is it 's a developing country itself with similar culture, West has progressed a lot in that aspect.. But yeah there needs to be strong deterrents

is it true that local corporators give contract to private parties to keep their area clean? I thought the corporation/municipalities keep army of cleaners to do the job.
How normal is such practice? Tier2 cities? towns?

There is a lot of crossover responsibilities. In Bangalore Frazer Town Area we are asked to dump our garbage by ROADSIDE on a spot oppsite poor dwellers. The corporation trucks pick it directly from there. Tell me how are the people of our locality responsible for this uncleanliness? We don't have an option. And no swacha bharat can happen without this system being booted out.

No offence mate.. But what i'm gonna state might get me mobbed and abused by the Hindu zealots here.. But the highly casteist and class structure in Indian society is a major cause as well.. Because certain jobs like sanitation are designated to certain communities and others dare not put their fingers in to it.. Quite literally

Yes people in other places like London do litter but most dont, Mostly done by teenagers, Delinquents, Bogans (Chav's to you pomms) :-) or homeless .. In India it's generally across the board.. The reason nobody cares nor are there consequences.. Sri Lankan mentality was the same a decade or so ago on littering (Not other sanitation issues) but strict rules and heavy fines meant that even ordinary people thinks twice before they throw something on the roads.. Hence thier cities have become spotless.. Why i took Lanka as an example is it 's a developing country itself with similar culture, West has progressed a lot in that aspect.. But yeah there needs to be strong deterrents
1423432404174.png

not sure whether caste system plays a role, but hindu idea of cleanliness is selfish and creates filthy communal area. The idea is my body should remain clean, no matter what, I should remove anything unclean from my body. But dont care if that affect others. My house should remain clean, but yeah, after removing dirt, I should just throw outside.
I dont want toilet in my house because it will make my house 'unclean'. I will crap everywhere else though.
I want to clean soul of my dead relative, so chuck their bodies in 'sacred' water. They got cleaned but river got dirty. Who cares, river goddess cleans herself.

There is a lot of crossover responsibilities. In Bangalore Frazer Town Area we are asked to dump our garbage by ROADSIDE on a spot oppsite poor dwellers. The corporation trucks pick it directly from there. Tell me how are the people of our locality responsible for this uncleanliness? We don't have an option. And no swacha bharat can happen without this system being booted out.

1423432404174.png
yes, thats what I said in original post, the waste management system is primitive, and needs investment. In bigger cities there should be method to how you do it, otherwise its madness.

not sure whether caste system plays a role, but hindu idea of cleanliness is selfish and created filthy communal area. The idea is my body should remain clean, no matter what, I should remove anything unclean from my body. But dont care if that affect others. My house should remain clean, but yeah, after removing dirt, I should just throw outside.
I dont want toilet in my house because it will make my house 'unclean'. I will crap everywhere else though.

The caste system comes in to play because communities think it's not thier role to clean up the neighborhood or other peoples shit quite literally.. Because caste designates particular communities for that job and expects them to do it.. And such livelihoods are abhorrent to most non Dalits.. It's a superior mentality

yes, thats what I said in original post, the waste management system is primitive, and needs investment. In bigger cities there should be method to how you do it, otherwise its madness.

hey should do like they do in the US- give it to large private contractors and take the responsibilities away from the small corporators and MLAs.

The caste system comes in to play because communities think it's not thier role to clean up the neighborhood or other peoples shit quite literally.. Because caste designates particular communities for that job and expects them to do it.. And such livelihoods are abhorrent to most non Dalits.. It's a superior mentality

1423432404174.png

India members ,is there any map websites that supply the streetview service of India?

hey should do like they do in the US- give it to large private contractors and take the responsibilities away from the small corporators and MLAs.

1423432404174.png

A congress hindu zealot ?? Quite the abomination.. :o:

Cleanliness should be taught in school, lot of people are completely ignorant that they are doing it. I met an Indian, quite rich but little common sense or class recently. We were sightseeing with some other friends and the guy was throwing stuff on road pretending it to be normal. I lost my temper and said while in london, dont throw stuff on road please.

Cleanliness should be taught in school, lot of people are completely ignorant that they are doing it. I met an Indian, quite rich but little common sense or class recently. We were sightseeing with some other friends and the guy was throwing stuff on road pretending it to be normal. I lost my temper and said while in london, dont throw stuff on road please.

I've had similar experiences

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom