What's new

Anti-Iranian movie won Oscars

Sam1980

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It was always going to be the battle of the real-life freedom fighters. Would the Oscars glorify the 16th president responsible for the emancipation of African American slaves in the 1860s, or the rogue CIA agent parachuted into Tehran to smuggle out six Americans hiding in the Canadian embassy in 1980? Or might it even choose to ignore the controversy and applaud the rogue team responsible for finally tracking down Osama bin Laden?

n the end, the Academy ended up backing Argo – a middle option between the tub-thumping patriotism of Lincoln and the hot potato juggling of Zero Dark Thirty.

In an unusual joint presentation by Jack Nicholson and – via video link live from the White House, Michelle Obama – Affleck accepted the award alongside his producers, Grant Heslov and George Clooney. The director paid tribute to his fellow nominees (including Steven Spielberg) as well as to his cast and crew, wife Jennifer Garner, his children and the people of Iran.

But Affleck's film did not sweep the board, going home with just three awards, for best editing, best adapted screenplay and best picture. But the tigers came at night and made for an evening of more upsets than many had anticipated. Ang Lee was a surprise winner for the best director award (for which Affleck was not nominated) for his game-changing 3D adaptation of the Yann Martel novel Life of Pi. That film took four awards in total, the most of any movie this year.

The best-received speech of the evening was given by Daniel Day-Lewis, who enters the record books as the first man to win three Oscars for leading roles. He paid tribute to the man he played, Abraham Lincoln; to his own mother,; his wife, Rebecca Miller; and the presenter of his award, Meryl Streep. Streep had, he jokingly claimed, been Spielberg's first choice for the part, just as he had been in the running to play Margaret Thatcher (the role for which Streep won the best actress award last year). Though it went into the race as frontrunner, with 13 nominations, Lincoln won just two awards, for best actor and for production design.

Yet the biggest surprise of the night was doubtless Jennifer Lawrence's victory in the best actress category for her part as an unhinged widow in David O Russell's Silver Linings Playbook. In a breathless speech, the 22-year-old wished a happy 86th birthday to her fellow nominee, Emmanuelle Riva, who had been seen as favourite to take the award for her role in Amour. Jessica Chastain was viewed as the closest rival for her part in Zero Dark Thirty – in the end, that film only took one award, for sound editing, which it shared with Skyfall.

More predictable were the three awards that went to Tom Hooper's Les Misérables – two technical, and a best supporting actress gong for Anne Hathaway's showstopping role as warbling prostitute Fantine. In a brief speech, Hathaway expressed the hope that "sometime in the not-too-distant future, the misfortunes of Fantine will only be found in stories – and not in real life".

The 85th Academy Awards were notable for a ceremony heavy on the hoofing, with high-octane renditions of Bond themes by Shirley Bassey (Goldfinger) and Adele, who belted out the theme from Skyfall live for the first time. The singer also picked up the best original song award – the film's second award of the night.

An energetic rendition of All that Jazz by Catherine Zeta-Jones was the centrepiece of a reunion for the cast of Chicago (which swept the board at the Oscars 10 years ago). There was also a medley by the cast of this year's musical hopeful, Les Misérables, with Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman giving their lungs an airing.

But a song by MacFarlane entitled We've Seen Your Boobs went down less well; the Family Guy creator's stint as host was marked by less controversy than many had predicted. A close-to-the-wind crack about Rihanna and Chris Brown prompted a mass gasp, as did one about Mel Gibson. A presenting turn by Ted, the CGI star of MacFarlane's summer blockbuster, was deemed clever but not sidesplitting. Yet an Abe Lincoln joke ("I would argue that the actor who really got inside Lincoln's head was John Wilkes Booth") was greeted with more affectionate laughter.

More details soon …

Oscars 2013: Argo wins best picture, but Life of Pi helps upset Lincoln's ship | Film | guardian.co.uk

I'm just glad Ang lee started with Namastey and ended with a JAI HIND ( Subject of dispute ) in his acceptance speech ! :tup:

I'm just glad Ang lee started with Namastey and ended with a JAI HIND in his acceptance speech ! :tup:

He didn't say jai hind and ended his speech with Xie Xie and namaste.

He didn't say jai hind and ended his speech with Xie Xie and namaste.

Hmm i thought i heard a jai hind in there. I'll have to look up the transcripts when they come out i guess. In my 'roll in the mud' appeal, 'half way there' is a lot better than making no mention.

سلام

یک شعری هست که می گه :

البته اگه یادم باشه

خود گویی و خود خندی ، عجب شخص هنرمند

This movie has a big Goof. at the end of movie when they are in The plane, the guards are chasing them by car, but the plane took off and they ran away! it's a joke, because the Watch Tower could say to pilot to stop or back to the air port or the air force Take them back. just a piece of crap.a Legend to make fake Heroes Like always.

I have seen this movie, its not anti Iranian.

It is based on a true story... of escape of few Embassy employees, while others were murdered.

Yes, Hollywood is biased.. they did not made a movie about attack on Pakistan embassy... and following escapes.

I have personally interviewed the staff and helped safe evacuation of staff families, incl. women & young children.
Pakistani escape case was equally dramatic... i would not say more.

So after movie on India, Pakistan and Iran, now which country they will make film on ?

Lincoln was much better movie. Argo is over-hyped.

Silver Lining Playbook was a great choice too.

Khomenei released US hostages after Carter lost the elections and new President took oath. Just 5 minutes after taking Oath, they released them. It was a great move. Slap on face of Carter.

And no one was killed. Ahmedenijad, who was a student leader that time, was against taking hostage.

They were taken hostage and then asked US to hand over Shah of Iran.

I have seen this movie, its not anti Iranian.

It is based on a true story... of escape of few Embassy employees, while others were murdered.

Yes, Hollywood is biased.. they did not made a movie about attack on Pakistan embassy... and following escapes.

I have personally interviewed the staff and helped safe evacuation of staff families, incl. women & young children.
Pakistani escape case was equally dramatic... i would not say more.

There are very few instances when I agree with you and this is one of those...

I agree with you that Hollywood twist the storyline to make it more dramatic (I think that is the difference btwn Movie and documentry).

I hope Sohaib Mansoor Make a movie on the issue/incident you are referring to. Saying it anti Iranian Movie is not true.

So after movie on India, Pakistan and Iran, now which country they will make film on ?

Lincoln was much better movie. Argo is over-hyped.

Silver Lining Playbook was a great choice too.

Argo was all about phuck ur self. Movie was ok but over hyped.

Back
Top Bottom