What's new

Ancient Kingdom Discovered Beneath Mound in Iraq

Mugwop

Reaction score
Country
Haiti
In the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq archaeologists have discovered an ancient city called Idu, hidden beneath a mound.Cuneiform inscriptions and works of art reveal the palaces that flourished in the city throughout its history thousands of years ago.

Located in a valley on the northern bank of the lower Zab River, the city’s remains are now part of a mound created by human occupation called a tell, which rises about 32 feet (10 meters) above the surrounding plain. The earliest remains date back to Neolithic times, when farming first appeared in the Middle East, and a modern-day village called Satu Qala now lies on top of the tell.

The city thrived between 3,300 and 2,900 years ago, said Cinzia Pappi, an archaeologist at the Universität Leipzig in Germany. At the start of this period, the city was under the control of the Assyrian Empire and was used to administer the surrounding territory. Later on, as the empire declined, the city gained its independence and became the center of a kingdom that lasted for about 140 years, until the Assyrians reconquered it. [See Photos of Discoveries at the Ancient City of Idu]

The researchers were able to determine the site’s ancient name when, during a survey of the area in 2008, a villager brought them an inscription with the city’s ancient name engraved on it. Excavations were conducted in 2010 and 2011, and the team reported its findings in the most recent edition of the journal Anatolica.

“Very few archaeological excavations had been conducted in Iraqi Kurdistan before 2008,” Pappi wrote in an email to LiveScience. Conflicts in Iraq over the past three decades have made it difficult to work there. Additionally archaeologists before that time tended to favor excavations in the south of Iraq at places like Uruk and Ur.

The effects of recent history are evident on the mound. In 1987, Saddam Hussein’s forces attacked and partly burnt the modern-day village as part of a larger campaign against the Kurds, and “traces of this attack are still visible,” Pappi said.
Ancient palacesThe art and cuneiform inscriptions the team uncovered provide glimpses of the ancient city’s extravagant palaces.

When Idu was an independent city, one of its rulers, Ba’ilanu, went so far as to boast that his palace was better than any of his predecessors’. “The palace which he built he made greater than that of his fathers,” he claimed in the translated inscription. (His father, Abbi-zeri, made no such boast.)

Two works of art hint at the decorations adorning the palaces at the time Idu was independent. One piece of artwork, a bearded sphinx with the head of a human male and the body of a winged lion, was drawn onto a glazed brick that the researchers found in four fragments. Above and below the sphinx, a surviving inscription reads, “Palace of Ba’auri, king of the land of Idu, son of Edima, also king of the land of Idu.”

A hero facing a griffon

Another intriguing artifact, which may be from a palace, is a cylinder seal dating back about 2,600 years. When it was rolled on a piece of clay, it would have revealed a vivid mythical scene.

The scene would have shown a bow-wielding man crouching down before a griffon, as well as a morning star (a symbol of the goddess Ishtar), a lunar crescent (a symbol of the moon god) and a solar disc symbolizing the sun god. A symbol called a rhomb, which represented fertility, was also shown.

“The image of the crouching hero with the bow is typical for warrior gods,” Pappi wrote in the email. “The most common of these was the god Ninurta, who also played an important role in the [Assyrian] state religion, and it is possible that the figure on the seal is meant to represent him.”

Future work

Before conducting more digs, the researchers will need approval from both the local government and the people of the village.

“For wide-scale excavations to continue, at least some of these houses will have to be removed,” Pappi said. “Unfortunately, until a settlement is reached between the villagers and the Kurdistan regional government, further work is currently not possible.”

Although digging is not currently possible, the artifacts already excavated were recently analyzed further and more publications of the team’s work will be appearing in the future. The archaeologists also plan to survey the surrounding area to get a sense of the size of the kingdom of Idu.

Ancient Kingdom Discovered Beneath Mound in Iraq : Discovery News

Wow. That is amazing. The areas in and around Northern Zagros are said to be the first places where agriculture, livestock and farming first appeared. Satu Qala is situated between Erbil and Suleymani.

That kingdom (city) was an Assyrian kingdom and part of the Assyrian Empire. That area (Northern Iraq) was historically known as Assyria. Nothing to do with Kurds who did not even exist then as a ethnic group. It was one of the many ancient Semitic areas.

The first attested agriculture, livestock, farming etc. took place in the Levant. It is also there where you can find the oldest continuously inhabited towns (Byblos, Damascus) in the world. Semitic areas again.

Early Neolithic villages show evidence of the ability to process grain, and the Near East is the ancient home of the ancestors of wheat, barley and peas. There is evidence of the cultivation of figs in the Jordan Valley as long as 11,300 years ago, and cereal (grain) production in Syria approximately 9,000 years ago.

But this is a gradual process. New findings will undoubtedly be found that could rewrite history. Very little of the world and especially the Middle East has been excavated.

Read the article again. And why did you mention Kurds again? Did I mention Kurds? Did the article?

The earliest remains date back to Neolithic times, when farming first appeared in the Middle East, and a modern-day village called Satu Qala now lies on top of the tell.

Read the article again. And why did you mention Kurds again? Did I mention Kurds? Did the article?

I thought that you were going to claim that as Kurdish given that you are a Kurdish nationalist. I am sorry if I was too fast in that judgement. As a person that admires history greatly and has a big interest in it (especially that of my own people - Arab and Semitic) I like to be precise and don't like people trying to rewrite history.

The Middle East is a big geographical area and not a precise description. Anyway the point is that it was the Levant that first developed attested agriculture used livestocks and farming. That's all what I tried to get across. It is also in the Levant where you can find the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world (Byblos, Damascus).

As I said that might change since little of the Middle East has been excavated let alone the world. In 100 years time history might look differently.

The first attested agriculture, livestock, farming etc. took place in the Levant.

I'll guess you missed this one:

Until now, she says scientists had thought agriculture arose in the western parts of the Fertile Crescent — a region that includes Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Jordan and Israel — because that's where all previous evidences of early agriculture came from.

Iran, on the other hand, is on the eastern edges of the Crescent, and was thought to be "a non-player in the history of agriculture," says Zeder.

The new study proves otherwise, she says. It shows that communities across the entire Fertile Crescent started experimenting with farming around the same time. And that, says Zeder, is exciting.

Farming Got Hip In Iran Some 12,000 Years Ago, Ancient Seeds Reveal : The Salt : NPR

I thought that you were going to claim that as Kurdish given that you are a Kurdish nationalist. I am sorry if I was too fast in that judgement. As a person that admires history greatly and has a big interest in it (especially that of my own people - Arab and Semitic) I like to be precise and don't like people trying to rewrite history.

The Middle East is a big geographical area and not a precise description. Anyway the point is that it was the Levant that first developed attested agriculture used livestocks and farming. That's all what I tried to get across.

As I said that might change since little of the Middle East has been excavated let alone the world. In 100 years time history might look differently.

There are many theories. Saying conclusively that the Levant was the first is pretty absurd. Some believe it was the Levant, others believe it was in Mesopotamia and Northern Zagros that agriculture and holding cattle was first discovered and developped. The first civilizations were discovered in Mesopotamia and among these were the Sumerian Empire.

My point is, instead of conclusively pointing to the Levant as being the first example of agricultural revolution, it would be more correct to say that the Fertile Cresent was the first place where agriculture was first developped. Since the Ferile Cresent both includes the Levant and the Mesopotamian civilizations of Northern Zagros.

And how reliable is that study? I also read a similar report about farming and domestication of the horse in Najd 10.000 years ago. None of it is fully attested from my knowledge.

Anyway it is widely accepted by more or less all scholars that the Levant is the place where agriculture first arose. Virtually every source you use confirms that.

Of course there are varying theories like with almost everything but most of them are based in Levant and the most reliable ones too. You should do some reading about this.

The first farmers grew wheat and rye 13,000 years ago in Syria and were forced into cultivating crops by a terrible drought, according to UK archaeologists.

BBC News | Sci/Tech | First farmers discovered

Full dependency on domestic crops and animals did not occur until the Bronze Age, by which time wild resources contributed a nutritionally insignificant component to the usual diet. If the operative definition of agriculture includes large scale intensive cultivation of land, mono-cropping, organized irrigation, and use of a specialized labor force, the title "inventors of agriculture" would fall to the Sumerians, starting ca. 5,500 B.C.E. Intensive farming allows a much greater density of population than can be supported by hunting and gathering, and allows for the accumulation of excess product for off-season use, or to sell/barter. The ability of farmers to feed large numbers of people whose activities have nothing to do with material production was the crucial factor in the rise of standing armies. Sumerian agriculture supported a substantial territorial expansion, together with much internecine conflict between cities, making them the first empire builders. Not long after, the Egyptians, powered by farming in the fertile Nile valley, achieved a population density from which enough warriors could be drawn for a territorial expansion more than tripling the Sumerian empire in area.[1]

It was not until after 9500 BCE that the eight so-called founder crops of agriculture appear: first emmer and einkorn wheat, then hulled barley, peas, lentils, bitter vetch, chick peas and flax. These eight crops occur more or less simultaneously on PPNB sites in the Levant, although the consensus is that wheat was the first to be grown and harvested on a significant scale.

The first attested use of wild grain is also traced back to the Levant. Dates back to 22.000 years!

Anthropological and archaeological evidence from sites across Southwest Asia and North Africa indicate use of wild grain (e.g., from the c. 20,000 BCE site of Ohalo II in Israel, many Natufian sites in the Levant and from sites along the Nile in the 10th millennium BCE).

History of agriculture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think that it is wrong to say that the Levant is the birthplace of agriculture given all the evidence rather than the larger Fertile Crescent area which is not a homogenous area and quite big. At least most scholars agree and overwhelming evidence also points to it being the case. Such as the above one.

Besides none of all this has anything to do with the news of archaeologists finding an Assyrian city kingdom that was part of the Assyrian Empire.

Your article:

In 2009, archaeologist Nicholas Conard of the University of Tubingen led an excavation in the foothills of the Zagros, a mountain range that runs along the Iran-Iraq border.

Based on the suggestion of an Iranian colleague, he'd picked an area close to the border with Iraq and began excavating a mound about eight meters high. Before long, they hit pay dirt: The sediments were rich with artifacts. "Sculpted clay objects, clay cones, depictions of animals and humans," says Conard.

Clearly not in Iranian heartlands, border areas of Mespotamia’s heartlands, come on man you gonna claim superiority over that as well ?

Funny how everyone is trying to claim these inventions as his, you didn’t invent ****.

The domestication of pigs and other wild animals was first developped in Berchem/ Chayonu in modern day Diyarbakir;

Çayönü is possibly the place where the pig (Sus scrofa) was first domesticated. The wild fauna include wild boar, wild sheep, wild goat and cervids. The Neolithic environment included marshes and swamps near the Bogazcay, open wood, patches of steppe and almond-pistachio forest-steppe to the south.

There is generally very little doubt that the technology and development of agriculture and domestication was developped in Mesopotamia. Which is not unlikely because the whole region was nourished by the rivers of Euphrat and Tigris.

Kurds by the way have more West-Asian components in their DNA than Saudi Arabs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArAJcY18g2GadC1kRjhxcHNfSGhPYlUxbEI0VVZPR0E#gid=0

LOL. There have barely been any genetic tests conducted on Saudi Arabians. Besides 90% of all Saudi Arabians belong to haplogroups that are native to the Middle East so that is a fallacy.

According to your link "Saudis" have much more so-called Mediterranean blood (nearly 40%) whatever that is than Kurds and Iranians who only have 25%.:lol:

Nearly as much as Spaniards and Italians. Makes no sense.

What the hell is "Red Sea" that Saudis happen to have 35% of? Moroccans 3000 km away have 25%.:lol:

Bedouins having nearly 40 % Mediterranean blood and 30 % West Asian? What the hell?

It also says that they have 0 Sub-Saharan. Makes no sense either since every Middle Eastern population has that to some degrees.

Iranains have 0.5 percent Sub-Saharan while Saudis have 0. Interesting.

A kid made that sheet.

LOL. There have barely been any genetic tests conducted on Saudi Arabians. Besides 90% of all Saudi Arabians belong to haplogroups that are native to the Middle East so that is a fallacy.

Acocrding to your link "Saudis" have much more so-called Mediterranean blood (nearly 40%) whatever that is than Kurds and Iranians who only have 25%.:lol:

Nearly as much as Spaniards and Italians. Makes no sense.

What the hell is "Red Sea" that Saudis happen to have 35% of? Moroccans 3000 km away have 25%.:lol:

Bedouins having nearly 40 % Mediterranean blood and 30 % West Asian? What the hell?

It also says that they have 0 sub-saharan. Makes no sense either since every Middle Eastern population has that in some degrees.

A kid made that sheet.

The sheet consist of all kinds of different samples of Saudi genetics.

Back
Top Bottom