What's new

Ananda Shipyard’s new ship for export

integra

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Ananda Shipyard’s new ship for export
Staff Reporter

DHAKA, APR 28: Ananda Shipyard and Slipways Ltd (ASSL), the country’s first ship exporter on Thursday launched its 11th ship as the largest ever seagoing vessel built in Bangladesh. Ananda will formally hand over the ship titled ‘WES GRAIN’ to the Reedierie GmbH, a German-based buyer, by July this year, company source said.

“The ‘WES GRAIN’ was built at a cost of eight million Euros,” said ASSL Chairman Dr Abdullahel Bari while launching the GL class 105-meter long multipurpose ship at its yard at Meghnaghat, Sonargaon, Narayanganj.

Industries Minister Dilip Barua is expected to hand over the ship to its buyer at the shipyard in three months time, he said.

Managing Director of the company Afruja Bari, Executive Director Tariqul Islam, high officials and representatives from the German Buyer were present on the occasion. Bari also said ASSL is receiving a good number of orders from Germany, Denmark and Middle East as they consider Bangladesh as a cost-effective destination for shipbuilding for its competitive workforce and cutting edge production costs.

Ananda exported its first ship to Europe to a Danish buyer in 2008, making a history in the country’s nascent shipbuilding industry. At present, 10 more ships are being built for exporting to buyers mainly from Germany, said the company officials.

They said they have also a plan to set up about 300-metre shipyard for construction of ships in the range of 50,000 DWT, :cheers:they added.

50,000 dwt ??? Holy cow. I never expected that so early. They are going for shipping liner now...
Where will they build it?? Naraynaganj !! I doubt.

i am just proud ! They also build ferries. . .Bangladesh got the potential to develop heavy industries. . . We should not waste time. . More private sector should be encouraged.

50,000 dwt ??? Holy cow. I never expected that so early. They are going for shipping liner now...
Where will they build it?? Naraynaganj !! I doubt.

It's just a 10 yr old private company
they have good entrepreneurship. 50,000dwt isn't impossible
maybe they'll opt for shitakundo.

India will surely buy ships of this displacement since it will be cheaper than Indian built ships or those built in South Korea and elsewhere.

Many of today's developed countries started shipbuilding before they started industrialization in heavy engineering. A shipbuilding requires technologies that include steel plate cutting , bending, curving, twisting and welding according to the drawings

Now, consider a machine, any machine. Other than the electric/electronic components, a machine is built of cut and weld steel plates. To manufacture these machines a minute precision technology is needed. So, a shipbuilding experience is many steps forward in the way to build heavy machines.

In case of Japan (and probably many other countries including South Korea), there are companies like IHI, MHI, Hitachi Shipbuilding Co., and Mitsui Shipbuilding Co., who gained experince in this sector and then moved to heavy engineering that includes not only heavy machines, but also train coach/engine, rly freight coach and things like these.

I firmly believe that Ananda as well as other shipbuilding Companies' present initiatives are correct. When they accumulate enough experience and also some machine design companies spring up, they will combine their knowhows, and will be able to manufacture engineering goods, which is a pre-requisite for expansion into heavy industrialization.

By the way, India is already producing many of its own machines. So, this has become the big strength of India. Unless BD produces many of its capital goods, there is no way BD can get out of LDC status. Only stitching fabrics is not enough to bring about a stronger economy.

Sorry for the long post.

Back
Top Bottom