What's new

Analysts want US policy shift on Pakistan

mujahideen

Reaction score
Analysts want US policy shift on Pakistan

* Say US should broaden ties with Pakistan to include civil society, court system and police
Daily Times Monitor

LAHORE: “In light of increasing instability in Pakistan and the apparent decline of President Pervez Musharraf’s influence, American analysts say the United States needs to broaden its approach toward Pakistan to include aid not just to its army, but to civil society organisations, political parties, the court system and police,” a Eurasia Insight report said. “Such a policy shift by Washington could help produce a Pakistani government with a greater ability to fight extremists,” it said. At a hearing of a subcommittee of the US House Committee on Foreign Affairs, titled US-Pakistan relations: Assassination, Instability and the Future of US Policy, Rand Corporation analyst Christine Fair said President Musharraf lacked the “political legitimacy” required to fight insurgents. “It is increasingly clear that holding fair and transparent elections provides the best chance for stabilising the country,” said Lisa Curtis, a fellow at the Heritage Foundation. Pentagon, the report said, was assessing changes in training and assistance to the Pakistan Army in light of a recent uptick in violence in FATA. “FATA ... continues to be of grave concern to us, both in the near term and the long term,” said Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Pakistan, he told Eurasia Insight, was a sovereign country and President Musharraf had to address the problem directly. “Is it a threat that the [Pakistanis] are ready to handle? Do they need help? Do they need training help? Do they need other types of help? That’s what we’re trying to assess right now,” said General James Cartwright, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. “Despite temptations to cut military aid to Pakistan, analysts warned that doing so would run the risk of making Washington look like a fickle ally,” the report said. Ashley Tellis, an analyst at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said, “They are in a transition where you have a new chief of army staff, who by all accounts is a professional military officer, very sympathetic to advancing US counterterrorism objectives. I would prefer to see the United States give him a chance.” “What is clear is that before Pakistan devolves any further into chaos and violence, US policy has to change. It is obvious that the administration’s reliance on President Musharraf to bring democracy to Pakistan while fighting against the extremists has not worked,” said Representative Gary Ackerman, a Democrat from New York. The report said only one person, Rep Dan Burton of Indiana, suggested that Washington ought to stick it out with Musharraf. “Right now President Musharraf is the only game in town and we ought to be supporting him,” Burton said. “Musharraf is a declining asset,” Christine Fair countered. “We need a real Plan B.”

Courtesy Daily Times

I also agree, US should participate more to build stable civil society in Pakistan. India government can also help to build democracy in Pakistan, few months back I saw an interview of Pakistan minister praising Indian democracy and wanted learn many lesson from her.

LOL Munda. Keep your version of democracy. When you have Dalits freely voting and occupying the Parliament as they should, then Pakistan can learn from your democracy. :tup:

I also agree, US should participate more to build stable civil society in Pakistan. India government can also help to build democracy in Pakistan, few months back I saw an interview of Pakistan minister praising Indian democracy and wanted learn many lesson from her.

Honestly I really do appreciate your comments on India helping Pakistan out. But you see each country is different and thus should develop a type of government which most suits the population. Now the Pakistani Minister was referring to the stability of Indian politics, which unfortunately our politics lack. It is true India indeed has many things Pakistan can adopt, but I think we should have things which are jsut for us. But nonetheless thank you for your response and insight.

LOL Munda. Keep your version of democracy. When you have Dalits freely voting and occupying the Parliament as they should, then Pakistan can learn from your democracy. :tup:

Mayawati, the Chief Minister of the most populous state of India, UP, is a Brahman I reckon and she won on Brahman votes!

It does make the day to find these amusing interludes of fabled dubiousness!

That apart, I think that democracy or otherwise, it is best to allow the Pakistanis to chart out their own destiny, without any advice, unless they ask for it themselves as Imran Khan has done.

Even then, Imran Khan does not make Pakistan!

Both India and Pakistan should look themeselves beyond a religion. In order to prosper with peaceful co-existance, the hatered which being prevailed in both the counteries against each other should need to get eliminated. India has long realiases the fact that if it has prosper in terms of economic growth as well improved Sociel dimension, then it need to perceive the notion of friendship with pakistan.

If US wants to help for real the best thing for her to do will be to just leave pakistan and let her solve her own problems. We are quite capable of doing so. The things get worse when US couldnt just mind her own bloody damn own buisness and start interfering in almost every matter, from democracy to military, counter insurgentsi and manymore.

President Musharraf recently in an interview said that West needs to stop seeing other nations with their style of democracy and the example he gave out was that in UK at a crime scene a yellow strip is placed and people obey it and they never intent to cross it by any means while in pakistan even if one builds a wall, people will find a way to make a hole in it and get to the other side. This is true to every extent that there is no comparision between the two completely different sides of the world and US needs to stop promoting her style of everything all around the world, this will only make things worse for her and others.

Both India and Pakistan should look themeselves beyond a religion. In order to prosper with peaceful co-existance, the hatered which being prevailed in both the counteries against each other should need to get eliminated. India has long realiases the fact that if it has prosper in terms of economic growth as well improved Sociel dimension, then it need to perceive the notion of friendship with pakistan.

The problems between india and pakistan is not because we both cannot tolerate eachothers religion but due to the still pending disputes between the two nations.

The problems between india and pakistan is not because we both cannot tolerate eachothers religion but due to the still pending disputes between the two nations.

I partially disagree with you IceCold,

The problem between Pakistan and India is primarily religion, then the disputes which arose due to independence

"If US wants to help for real the best thing for her to do will be to just leave pakistan and let her solve her own problems. We are quite capable of doing so. The things get worse when US couldnt just mind her own bloody damn own buisness and start interfering in almost every matter, from democracy to military, counter insurgentsi and manymore."

IceCold, were you leading Pakistan you'd dis-engage from the United States in every way possible?

You are right Kent and i am completely in favour of this concept but the problem is that no one is willing to trust each other since one feels that the nature of other's is to betray always.

As far as the Indian realization is concerned i can only say that if all the descriminations faced by Minorities are dealt with without being impartial then only India can claim what you mentioned. Correct that it is prospering in every aspect of Economic Growth but Social Growth is by far lacking in most of India.

"If US wants to help for real the best thing for her to do will be to just leave pakistan and let her solve her own problems. We are quite capable of doing so. The things get worse when US couldnt just mind her own bloody damn own buisness and start interfering in almost every matter, from democracy to military, counter insurgentsi and manymore."

IceCold, were you leading Pakistan you'd dis-engage from the United States in every way possible?

There is a difference in engaging positively and negatively. Right now what the US is doing, medling in the internal matters of pakistan, yes i would definately dis-engage in most matters from the US. Stop seeing everything from westerneyes and smell the real coffee.

I partially disagree with you IceCold,

The problem between Pakistan and India is primarily religion, then the disputes which arose due to Independence.

Thats one way of seeing things. While yes i wouldnt completely ruleout the religion factor, but the main source is because of the disputes and since the disputed region is a muslim majority area so i would say that religion does play a role but not primarily.

" i would definately dis-engage in most matters from the US."

What would those be? What areas would you not dis-engage from America? Thanks!:)

Back
Top Bottom