Analysis: Justice delayed for PTI

Jazzbot

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Analysis: Justice delayed for PTI

554835b746cb9.jpg

Minutes after an election tribunal on Monday ordered re-election on a Lahore national assembly seat (NA-125, Cantonment) won by Railways Minister Khawaja Saad Rafique in the 2013 election, Dr Awab Alvi tweeted: sad fact what the election tribunal should have decided in 120 days, takes one year, 11 months and 23 days — justice delayed is justice denied.

His tweet largely summed up the feeling of millions of Pakistanis, including but not limited to Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) supporters, who want the country’s electoral system to be reformed and election disputes decided swiftly, or at least within the stipulated timeframe of four months.

But the question is: can the election tribunals investigate allegations, ascertain facts and decide the petitions against the winners by the losing candidates within the given time? Opinion is divided on this matter.

Some lawyers say that the “implementation of certain actions may help speed up decisions by the tribunals in most cases”. However, the allegations of vote rigging and irregularities as levelled by PTI’s Hamid Khan against his rival, Khawaja Saad Rafique, are not easy to investigate, and it would be better to avoid rushing the matter in such cases.

How quickly can an election petition be disposed of depends largely on what the petition pertains to, says lawyer Saroop Ejaz. “In cases where petitions challenge the eligibility of a [winning] candidate [on the basis of misdeclaration of his or her assets or academic qualifications, etc], it is easier to decide the matter swiftly. When a petition raises factual controversies [such as vote rigging as in the case of NA-125], it may take longer to arrive at a decision because it requires deeper investigations and scrutiny of evidence as well as questioning of witnesses.”

Many concur with him, pointing out that the tribunal that ordered re-election in the NA-125 constituency had reached the decision only after extensive inspection of the election record by a local commission it had appointed for the purpose, verification of thumb impressions of voters by Nadra and random scrutiny of the ballots from 10 polling stations.

Indeed, the election tribunals set up after the 2013 elections have done a much better job than before. A report that quoted anonymous Election Commission of Pakistan officials said 355 of the 387 petitions filed across the country had already been decided.

It is in spite of the stay orders obtained by both defenders and challengers from the higher judiciary to avoid or delay an adverse decision, and long and repeated adjournments sought by their lawyers as a tactic to prolong the tribunals’ proceedings.

Lawyers say several petitions from the 2002 and 2008 polls are still pending with the tribunals.

In the past, the tribunals were headed by high court judges, who had little time to spare to hear election petitions owing to the standard workload. This time the ECP hired retired judges for the job, which has made all the difference.

Lawyers argue that the working of the election tribunals could still be improved a lot through better management. The tribunals, for example, should be bound to complete the hearings of petitions within the stipulated time unless they have some solid reason for breaching the four-month period.

Furthermore, they should be empowered to penalise any state institution, official and individual found deliberately delaying production of evidence, document, or information required by them. Then, the parties involved in the election disputes should not be allowed unnecessary adjournments by the tribunals or stay orders by the higher judiciary.

Prominent lawyer S.M. Zafar says the stipulated timeframe for deciding election petitions was ‘directory’ and not ‘mandatory’. “You can’t set a timeframe for deciding the election petitions, but you can motivate the judge heading the tribunal to take as less time as possible to make the decision. What we require is better management of the working of the tribunals for swifter decisions on election disputes,” he says.

Political analysts — and some PTI leaders — are unanimous that politically the “delayed decision” on Hamid Khan’s petition against rigging in NA-125 has cost the party a lot.

“The Nawaz Sharif government would’ve collapsed if this decision had come during the PTI’s anti-government sit-in in Islamabad,” Punjab PTI president Ejaz Chaudhry told Dawn.

NA-125 is one of the four national constituencies (NA-110 in Sialkot, NA-122 in Lahore and NA-154 in Lodhran being the other three) where the PTI has been demanding forensic examination of the election record from day one to prove that the 2013 elections were “systematically” stolen from it.

“Timing is everything in politics. The PTI may not be able to draw as much political advantage from the favourable decision on NA-125 now as it could have during its dharna. Yet it is a moral victory for the party and a big setback for the ruling PML-N,” said journalist and political analyst Suhail Warraich.

Nonetheless, Dr Hasan Askari, political analyst, says the tribunal’s decision has brought the PTI back to a position where it can assert in the country’s politics. “Another such adverse decision for the PML-N — for example, in another Lahore constituency, NA-122, from where Speaker Ayaz Sadiq defeated PTI chairman Imran Khan — would put the PML-N on the defensive and the PTI on the offensive,” he said.

Published in Dawn, May 5th, 2015

@Leader @chauvunist @Pukhtoon @Jzaib @Bratva @Crypto @ajpirzada @Bilal. @pkuser2k12 @Peaceful Civilian @nomi007 @Pomegranate @Aether @Color_Less_Sky @Norwegian @Jaanbaz @Jf Thunder @Akheilos @Armstrong @Jango @Jungibaaz @Horus @batmannow @Devil Soul @cb4 @Tameem @Muhammad Omer @Danish saleem @SBD-3 @xyxmt @airmarshal @WAJsal @Patriots @KURUMAYA @Pakistani Exile @Zarvan

It was suppose to be done in 120 days, but took years.

Welcome to dhaka start Nation ....1st they cover their *** and say show proof when proof is given they drag their feet to enjoy their time....

All hail PTI for taking a stand against election rigging and call for electoral reforms for the first time in history.
Otherwise:

Lawyers say several petitions from the 2002 and 2008 polls are still pending with the tribunals.

Even after long dharna and big effort finaly, They got the decision otherwise he was surviving on stay orders for 50 years

Funny a political party whose name is "Tehreek E Insaf" did a insaf struggle for its own cause only. They are lucky to have cases decided in 1.5 year or so, otherwise a bloody civilian like me can wait (in my grave obviously) for my personal case to be decided most probably when my grandson is a grandfather.

Funny a political party whose name is "Tehreek E Insaf" did a insaf struggle for its own cause only. They are lucky to have cases decided in 1.5 year or so, otherwise a bloody civilian like me can wait (in my grave obviously) for my personal case to be decided most probably when my grandson is a grandfather.

Someday, Somewhere, Someone has to take a stand to start things.There's always have to be a first. Who knows this will change the dynamics of judicial system in future? I know I'm being very optimistic, but what's harm in dreaming?

Someday, Somewhere, Someone has to take a stand to start things.There's always have to be a first. Who knows this will change the dynamics of judicial system in future? I know I'm being very optimistic, but what's harm in dreaming?

No harm in dreaming, we have been doing so for last many years. And our future generations can inherit these dreams from us (what else is there to pass on to them?) My problem is why they had to start a struggle for themselves only? Injustice in Pakistan is not something new, if they had street power to influence why did not they raise their voice to reform laws for speedy justice to be served to common person. Don't you think its a selfish act on the part of IK and his party? What is the ranking here? Pakistani People first? Or Party first?

No harm in dreaming, we have been doing so for last many years. And our future generations can inherit these dreams from us (what else is there to pass on to them?) My problem is why they had to start a struggle for themselves only? Injustice in Pakistan is not something new, if they had street power to influence why did not they raise their voice to reform laws for speedy justice to be served to common person. Don't you think its a selfish act on the part of IK and his party? What is the ranking here? Pakistani People first? Or Party first?

Frankly speaking, in a way you can say that it was selfish on the part of IK and his party to raise voice and show street power ONLY for election rigging. But, having said that, even after all that struggle and 2 years long mess, what we have in hand? Just one constituency's elections being declared null and void, that too after allowing the rigging party the right to have a stay order on this decision, file a counter case in higher court and delay this decision for another couple of years. :hitwall:

We have to understand, that after all PTI is taking a new initiative that hasn't been taken in decades. Also PTI only has mere 35 odd seats in national assembly, they simply don't have the numbers to force things on govt. So right now it will be harsh on them, if we blame them for the mess our elders have created in 70 long years.

Frankly speaking, in a way you can say that it was selfish on the part of IK and his party to raise voice and show street power ONLY for election rigging. But, having said that, even after all that struggle and 2 years long mess, what we have in hand? Just one constituency's elections being declared null and void, that too after allowing the rigging party the right to have a stay order on this decision, file a counter case in higher court and delay this decision for another couple of years. :hitwall:

We have to understand, that after all PTI is taking a new initiative that hasn't been taken in decades. Also PTI only has mere 35 odd seats in national assembly, they simply don't have the numbers to force things on govt. So right now it will be harsh on them, if we blame them for the mess our elders have created in 70 long years.

You have given an extra credit of two years to our elders :D.

I would start from the point where we decided to become darling of only one super power, I could never understand what was the logic behind that but any how no use to cry over spilt milk.

Exactly my grievance why waste time when there is no output of the effort and struggle, why not do a critical thinking and highlight the area where to hit exactly, so that this useless corrupt judicial system can be uprooted once and for all, and beneficiaries of the reformed system are not only political parties but everyone who is innocent and deserves justice.

What a failed justice system this country has . A fake parliamentarian and for how long ... ? what if some of his colleagues are sitting in parliament on fake mandate . what a brutal system .

Exactly my grievance why waste time when there is no output of the effort and struggle, why not do a critical thinking and highlight the area where to hit exactly, so that this useless corrupt judicial system can be uprooted once and for all, and beneficiaries of the reformed system are not only political parties but everyone who is innocent and deserves justice.

That my friend is the point, but the question is how this is going to happen? We don't want a blood bath or anarchy to prevail in this country like Egypt etc, especially when we are fighting a war on our western borders. A peaceful dharna was taken to the cleaners by all sections of this society and PTI had to pay the price for that dharna by facing worst kind of criticism from every possible direction.

Nothing is going to change if we won't be putting in efforts and struggle.

That my friend is the point, but the question is how this is going to happen? We don't want a blood bath or anarchy to prevail in this country like Egypt etc, especially when we are fighting a war on our western borders. A peaceful dharna was taken to the cleaners by all sections of this society and PTI had to pay the price for that dharna by facing worst kind of criticism from every possible direction.

Nothing is going to change if we won't be putting in efforts and struggle.

Serious effort with mature thinking is what is required. First step (for me at least) is challenge the current way of doing politics in Pakistan by your actions and not words only, why search for candidates who you think can bring votes because they are peers, chaudhries, khans etc. And educate awam why sell their vote for just mere reason that candidate is from their Bradari, or he is active to get our sewerage pipes cleaned when there is a blockage, or just that he paid for or served me a lunch? The voters are ill informed, misguided in their evaluation of the problems, they don't have collective thinking of problems their solutions and benefits, they are surrounded by their own individual problems and don't realise that if reforms are done on a larger scale it will automatically remove their individual financial, social problems that they face as being citizens of this country. Nobody is asking for a bloodbath but a precise to the point serious collective effort.

And I am sure DJ butt and songs he plays is not the solution for all this and beyond.

What a failed justice system this country has . A fake parliamentarian and for how long ... ? what if some of his colleagues are sitting in parliament on fake mandate . what a brutal system .

Yeah and its not limited to judiciary only, the shamelessness of our politicians can be judged by just looking at an example that ex-speaker of assembly performed an Umrah at expense of taxpayers money.

I wonder what happened to all the PML-N fans now?
How they made fun of PTI's calls for inquiries into rigging, and now it's proven.

Back
Top Bottom