What's new

Analysis: Dr. Afridi - Enemy of the State?

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Analysis: Dr Afridi: Enemy of the state?
Ismail Khan
532cff9654d42.jpg

File photo
Updated 2014-03-22 08:12:45

Dr Shakil Afridi’s confessional statement reads like a page straight out of a cold war spy novel: how the Central Intelligence Agency recruited him and how his handlers, in some cases women, transported him — covered in a blanket and ducked in the backseat of a car — from outside a bookshop in the Jinnah Super Market to a built-in container office.

He was sent on a wild goose chase before given a more specific task in Abbottabad to collect samples in a fake vaccination campaign to help track down the elusive Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden. But, if Dr Afridi is to be believed, he had a hunch he was on to something big, though never did his CIA handlers tell him who it was — until the morning of May 2, 2011 when he was woken up by a caller from Islamabad. They had got the man they had been hunting since 9/11. It was time Dr Afridi pack up and leave for Kabul.

And he would have gone had his wife not stopped him, an investigator recalled. “Have you done anything wrong?” the officer quoted Dr Afridi’s wife as asking him. Puzzled, the 50-year-old physician from Bara, Khyber tribal region, decided to stay on. Equally puzzled were those who wanted to punish Dr Afridi for helping his foreign spymasters and bringing shame and embarrassment to his country — an issue that dodges Pakistan even today.

The problem was that Pakistan was supposed to be a US ally, actively engaged with ‘friends’ to track down Bin Laden. If Dr Afridi was to be charged with supporting a foreign intelligence agency, what would become of the US-Pakistan alliance in the war on terror?

Months after he was picked up in Karkhano bazaar near Peshawar following the Operation Neptune Spear that resulted in Bin Laden’s takedown, senior officials mulled Dr Afridi’s fate. That he was an embarrassment and a disgrace to the nation, it was agreed. But how to frame charges against him, they wondered.

And in a bizarre decision they decided to accuse him of collaborating with the outlawed Lashkar-i-Islam — an outfit that had earlier kidnapped him and released him upon payment of ransom.

A year later, he was produced before the court of the Bara assistant political agent and was sentenced to 33 years imprisonment for supporting Lashkar-i-Islam, despite ‘evidence’ of his collaboration with the CIA and Dr Afridi’s confessional statement, detailing his meetings with his handlers and the payments he had received for different tasks and assignments. The Bara assistant political agent simply said he was not competent to hear the espionage charges.

Nearly a year later, an appellate court (FCR commissioner) upheld the verdict of the lower court but reduced Dr Afridi’s sentence. But, in another bizarre twist, the appellate court directed the political agent to prepare a case against Dr Afridi for his involvement in anti-state activities by supporting a foreign intelligence agency for further proceedings before a competent court.

If these twists in the case were not baffling enough, more puzzling is the directive to the Khyber political agent to “adduce the evidence in consultation with the concerned intelligence agencies and prepare a case” against Dr Afridi both under federal and provincial laws for further proceedings in the competent court of law.

Are we back to square one? Dr Afridi was arrested for an offence he had committed in Abbottabad under the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provincial government. With purported evidence at hand, the case against him would have been tight. But instead of pressing criminal charges against him for supporting a foreign intelligence service in Abbottabad, he was prosecuted under the Frontier Crimes Regulations.

And now again the appellate court wants the Khyber political agent to provide evidence of Dr Afridi’s collaboration with the CIA to a competent court, ostensibly for an offence that has occurred not in Khyber tribal region but in Abbottabad. Does this involve the issue of jurisdiction? And which competent court would the case go to now?

More importantly, why did the Bara assistant political agent cite jurisdiction as an issue for not trying and convicting Afridi on espionage charges and why has the appellate court come to that conclusion now?

The bigger question perhaps is: will the political administration now cite spying charges against Dr Afridi which, if pressed, may keep him in jail longer? With his appeal turned down by the appellate court, Dr Afridi’s next recourse would be a review before the three-member Fata tribunal comprising two retired bureaucrats and a lawyer. If history is any guide, Dr Afridi’s fate is more or less sealed.

No matter how much you Wish that ... But Not Happening ... Tell that to your US Overlords .

As long as he is in jail, the damage to Pakistan's other national interests will be considerable. It is only a matter of time before the costs become too high to keep him incarcerated. Either way, it will be a losing game for Pakistan.

No matter how much you Wish that ... But Not Happening ... Tell that to your US Overlords .

What is his crime? Helping find a criminal that you and I both know people in the top brass knew where he hid? Was his crime to apprehend a killer of innocents, whose actions has resulted hell being unleashed upon Pakistanis and Muslims throughout the world? Please we llet go the killers of citizens( that white american spy dont recall his name) while our leaders go out on "medical" check ups? (Nooras timings were dubious as hell, zardari sab was in dxb)/

Who does your loyalty lie with? With crooks or an ego of our might when there is none? His crime was to help US apprehend a terrorist?

He was apprehended from Pakistan, a mere mile away from the military institution. You should thank that the US do not blame our top leadership or else it would be nothing but hell for us. Way worse than we have become accustomed to.

What is his crime? Helping find a criminal that you and I both know people in the top brass knew where he hid? Was his crime to apprehend a killer of innocents, whose actions has resulted hell being unleashed upon Pakistanis and Muslims throughout the world? Please we llet go the killers of citizens( that white american spy dont recall his name) while our leaders go out on "medical" check ups? (Nooras timings were dubious as hell, zardari sab was in dxb)/

Who does your loyalty lie with? With crooks or an ego of our might when there is none? His crime was to help US apprehend a terrorist?

He was apprehended from Pakistan, a mere mile away from the military institution. You should thank that the US do not blame our top leadership or else it would be nothing but hell for us. Way worse than we have become accustomed to.
Want Me to List his Crime ??

1. He Betrayed his country .
2. Because of This Basta*d people stooped giving their Children Polio Vaccine .
3. He Betrayed the Whole Profession of Medicine .
4. He Helped Sold the loves of Millions of children for some bucks .
5. Because of him the TTP has a reason to target Polio teams .

So sorry if want to Murder this Bastar* myself .. A Traitor of this Nation will not get any sympathy from me , you can Skin him alive for all I care , or feed him to the sharks ..

So sorry if want to Murder this Bastar* myself .. A Traitor of this Nation will not get any sympathy from me , you can Skin him alive for all I care , or feed him to the sharks ..

How conveniently ignore the great accomplishment he committed of ridding this earth from the menace of OBL. These fucks have been attacking Polio teams before Afridi. Go read up on some cases. A jahil will try to see Islam in Polio and his narrow perception wont let him. So he will kill, be in the name of Islam or Afridi. TTP doesnt need a reason? Just an excuse. They blew up people in Mosques, should i stop praying? I mean where does it stop with you guys. Should i stop going to markets because it has been bombed? Slippery slope, you had one point you just stretched it into 5.

Dr Afia is a murderer she deserves to be hung from the gallows. This guy? Not sure.

PS: This forum has tanked in quality and the admins are to blame.

If exposing the ills within his country was a taken to be a crime one could take it with a pinch of salt.

But betrayed what ? The fact that the worlds most wanted terrorist was hiding in Pakistan while the nations head swore that he wasn't and his nation was an ally in the WOT can hardly be called a betrayal.

Is it being suggested that honest citizens should keep quiet while their leaders & army goes about betraying the nation & the world ?

But he helped reduce the timeline of US troops presence. F.O.X why did the US took his help when Pak authorities could have done the same more effectively. There must've been reasons mate. They had previous experiences which were not so good about informing the army/intelligence. And may be I am wrong, as my information is limited to what I see in the news articles, the only contradictory thing is that OBL was never there. But then, why wouldn't you guys prove it, for the sake of credibility atleast?

Not a Bad Idea ... IT will a Good lesson for the Traitor .

It will set two examples:

1. A bright example for citizens of Pakistan that no matter what you believe in, if you go against the establishment, you are the no.1 enemy of the state.

2. A stark example, that will go down the history books for the world to remember that Pakistan is the only country that not only hides and protects mass murderers of civilians but also punishes those who go after these mass murderers, unless the hunters are more powerful, which in this case are the Americans. Very exceptional.

Is this how you want your country to be seen as?

How conveniently ignore the great accomplishment he committed of ridding this earth from the menace of OBL. These fucks have been attacking Polio teams before Afridi. Go read up on some cases. A jahil will try to see Islam in Polio and his narrow perception wont let him. So he will kill, be in the name of Islam or Afridi. TTP doesnt need a reason? Just an excuse. They blew up people in Mosques, should i stop praying? I mean where does it stop with you guys. Should i stop going to markets because it has been bombed? Slippery slope, you had one point you just stretched it into 5.

Dr Afia is a murderer she deserves to be hung from the gallows. This guy? Not sure.

PS: This forum has tanked in quality and the admins are to blame.
Great Accomplishment ?? are you kidding me , Accomplishment for whom ? His Country , or the World ?? .. NO ... all was done for the political benefit for the Campaign of Obama .

If he is a Hero they Why Edward Snowden if hiding ?? didn't he also expose the American Gov ? didn;t he also do a great service to humanity ?? Stop Kidding yourself .

A Traitor is always a traitor .. and He Shall Die a Traitors Death .

It will set two examples:

1. A bright example for citizens of Pakistan that no matter what you believe in, if you go against the establishment, you are the no.1 enemy of the state.

2. A stark example, that will go down the history books for the world to remember that Pakistan is the only country that not only hides and protects mass murderers of civilians but also punishes those who go after these mass murderers, unless the hunters are more powerful, which in this case are the Americans. Very exceptional.

Is this how you want your country to be seen as?
MAss Murdred .. ??

He killed 3000 people
USA killed 3 million ..

Who is the mass murdered ?? just because one is a super Power it gives them the right to bomb civilians ??

Great Accomplishment ?? are you kidding me , Accomplishment for whom ? His Country , or the World ?? .. NO ... all was done for the political benefit for the Campaign of Obama .

If he is a Hero they Why Edward Snowden if hiding ?? didn't he also expose the American Gov ? didn;t he also do a great service to humanity ?? Stop Kidding yourself .

A Traitor is always a traitor .. and He Shall Die a Traitors Death .

MAss Murdred .. ??

He killed 3000 people
USA killed 3 million ..

Who is the mass murdered ?? just because one is a super Power it gives them the right to bomb civilians ??

So you are saying OBL was a victim? I give the **** up. There is no saving Pakistan, and Pakistanis are the reason for the impending doom on this nation.

Back
Top Bottom