What's new

An Alternative to the Average Indian Politician

JayAtl

BANNED
Reaction score
NEW DELHI — The voters of Delhi face the terrifying certainty that their most fervent wish will be granted.

n November, they will have the opportunity to bring to power the kind of person they have claimed for years they want to see in politics: an incorruptible man who is good at math, who has not been marinated in politics. An indignant man with genuinely black hair who does not wear the starched white clothes that Indians recognize as the costume of corruption, but instead appears in public in a modest cotton shirt that he never tucks into his modest trousers and with a cap that has a reprimand to politicians written on it. An engineer who once cleared the toughest engineering entrance exam in the country. A man who could have grown rich had he pursued a management degree or written terrible books, which elite Indian engineers do successfully, but who instead chose to enter public life vowing to disrupt political corruption and who became one of the key activists who persuaded the Indian government to pass an extraordinary act granting citizens the right of access to public documents.

Arvind Kejriwal and his Aam Aadmi Party will debut in electoral politics this November and contest all 70 seats in the Delhi assembly elections. On trial will be the people of Delhi themselves, and a beloved Indian hypothesis that they deserve better than rotten politicians. If virtue alone were to decide elections in India, the two major parties in Delhi, the governing Indian National Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party, would not stand a chance against Mr. Kejriwal.

“We will form the government,” Mr. Kejriwal told me on Saturday when I interviewed him before a small audience that had come to listen to him in a lakeside restaurant. He said this without any facial twitches or the high passion of delusion, but as a matter of fact. He said that in most of Delhi where the poor and the lower-middle class live there is no water supply for days and no electricity for hours every day. Politicians from both the Congress party and the B.J.P. control “cartels,” he said, that own water tankers, and it is in their interest to ensure that people face water shortages. According to Mr. Kejriwal, there is “an undercurrent” in Delhi against established political parties that was perceptible only to the poor, and to him. “People are fed up,” he said.

On Sunday, he announced at a public gathering that he would run from the high-profile constituency of New Delhi, the fief of the current chief minister of Delhi and a powerful leader of the Congress party, Sheila Dikshit, who is often described by political observers as “maternal” by way of a compliment. There is more to her, of course. She has been diminished in recent times by corruption charges, but she still has a reputation for being very efficient. She pushed through Delhi’s excellent Metro system, where her image is featured on the walls of the trains, indeed looking somewhat maternal, while warning young people against sexually transmitted diseases. Mr. Kejriwal used to ride on the Metro until fame ensured that he had to deny himself the best feature of Delhi.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/06/world/asia/06iht-letter06.html?ref=world

I am confused weather to vote for Apni Aadmi Party or BajPa

I am confused weather to vote for Apni Aadmi Party or BajPa

go to your representatives office in your area and ask them a set of questions most important to you and then make your choice.

I love this man but hate his policies. His stand on throwing out private corporations and taking over/ nationalizing compaies is STUPID. we've seen that before and it's as if he hasn't understood the implications of that!!!

all Delhi residents please avoid him and his party

I love this man but hate his policies. His stand on throwing out private corporations and taking over/ nationalizing compaies is STUPID. we've seen that before and it's as if he hasn't understood the implications of that!!!

He never said to nationalized any thing, only strictly control monopoly.

Kejriwal is an unknown entity in politics. Whether he'll get the votes or not is the million dollar question. I respect his anti corruption crusade and his fight for the 'aam admi', but......

As the saying goes, a known devil is better than an unknown angel. And so it's going to be that same old lady who'll win! QED!

Kejriwal is like Mamata Bannerjee, well meaning but an absolute blockhead with his policies.

@JayAtl

Just because you have migrated to US,you should not wish ill for India.

This man is a commie and want to roll back whatever reforms that have taken place since 1990.He wants to nationalize everything and sent India back to subsistence beggar state.

Last edited by a moderator:
@JayAtl

Just because you have migrated to US,you should not wish ill for India.

This man is a commie and want to roll back whatever reforms that have taken place since 1990.He wants to nationalize everything and sent India back to subsistence beggar state.

I simply posted an article .... that too one published in the NY times about an Indian politican. I don't even know his politics...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom