What's new

America’s ‘Great Retreat’ is well underway

onebyone

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
In essence, then, the current US posture is best defined as “The Great Retreat.” The US is pulling in its military horns, at least for the time being, leaving partners and allies, especially in the Middle East and East Asia, exposed and uncertain.

Under the circumstances, many current US allies and partners may thus seek accommodation with China or in the Middle East aligned instead with Russia and Iran.

The US is rapidly lowering its military profile and backing away from commitments to allies in the Middle East and Asia
By STEPHEN BRYENJULY 29, 2021

1627560597308.png

Sailors assigned to the amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island clear out of the way of a Marine Corps F-35B Lightning II in preparation for takeoff from the flight deck of the ship. Photo: US Marine Corps / Patrick Crosley

1627560622215.png

Military vehicles carrying YJ-18 anti-ship and land-attack cruise missiles drive past Tiananmen Square during the military parade to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China, in Beijing, China. Photo: AFP via Sputnik / Anna Ratkoglo

1627560692464.png

A helmet among the destroyed trailer trucks and electronics sold for the price of iron at a bazzar outside Bagram Air Base in a district north of Kabul, Afghanistan, May 19, 2021. Photo: AFP via Anadolu Agency / Haroon Sabawoon

1627560718652.png

A THAAD interceptor is test-launched in Kodiak, Alaska, on July 11, 2017. Photo: Leah Garton / Missile Defense Agency / Handout

1627560748205.png

An F-35B Lightning II set for take off aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) in support of Northern Edge 2021. Photo: US Navy / Ethan Jaymes Morrow

1627560771779.png

The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Barry (DDG 52) transits the East China Sea. Photo: US Navy / Samuel Hardgrove

Why would the US Department of Justice drop five cases against Chinese researchers including Dr Juan Tang, a cancer researcher who allegedly lied on her visa application after photos of her were found wearing a Chinese military uniform?

Part of the answer is that Tang’s case was dropped to facilitate Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman’s high-level visit this week to China, where she was treated hostilely by her Chinese hosts.

The five cases are just part of a bigger picture which can best be termed as “The Great Retreat.” In many areas, the US is lowering its profile and backing away from its commitments.

For example, the US has pulled its only aircraft carrier, the USS Ronald Reagan, from the Pacific ostensibly to cover the retreat from Afghanistan. But whether the Ronald Reagan carrier will return to Japan in the future isn’t altogether clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
In essence, then, the current US posture is best defined as “The Great Retreat.” The US is pulling in its military horns, at least for the time being, leaving partners and allies, especially in the Middle East and East Asia, exposed and uncertain.

Under the circumstances, many current US allies and partners may thus seek accommodation with China or in the Middle East aligned instead with Russia and Iran.

What is the problem here? Let the world rejoice in the good news and join the coming Chinese Century. :D

The US is rapidly lowering its military profile and backing away from commitments to allies in the Middle East and Asia
By STEPHEN BRYENJULY 29, 2021

View attachment 766051
Sailors assigned to the amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island clear out of the way of a Marine Corps F-35B Lightning II in preparation for takeoff from the flight deck of the ship. Photo: US Marine Corps / Patrick Crosley

View attachment 766052
Military vehicles carrying YJ-18 anti-ship and land-attack cruise missiles drive past Tiananmen Square during the military parade to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China, in Beijing, China. Photo: AFP via Sputnik / Anna Ratkoglo

View attachment 766054
A helmet among the destroyed trailer trucks and electronics sold for the price of iron at a bazzar outside Bagram Air Base in a district north of Kabul, Afghanistan, May 19, 2021. Photo: AFP via Anadolu Agency / Haroon Sabawoon

View attachment 766055
A THAAD interceptor is test-launched in Kodiak, Alaska, on July 11, 2017. Photo: Leah Garton / Missile Defense Agency / Handout

View attachment 766056
An F-35B Lightning II set for take off aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) in support of Northern Edge 2021. Photo: US Navy / Ethan Jaymes Morrow

View attachment 766057
The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Barry (DDG 52) transits the East China Sea. Photo: US Navy / Samuel Hardgrove

Why would the US Department of Justice drop five cases against Chinese researchers including Dr Juan Tang, a cancer researcher who allegedly lied on her visa application after photos of her were found wearing a Chinese military uniform?

Part of the answer is that Tang’s case was dropped to facilitate Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman’s high-level visit this week to China, where she was treated hostilely by her Chinese hosts.

The five cases are just part of a bigger picture which can best be termed as “The Great Retreat.” In many areas, the US is lowering its profile and backing away from its commitments.

For example, the US has pulled its only aircraft carrier, the USS Ronald Reagan, from the Pacific ostensibly to cover the retreat from Afghanistan. But whether the Ronald Reagan carrier will return to Japan in the future isn’t altogether clear.
great story, *beautiful* pictures :)

and we can always advance again if and when we really really have to :)

congratulations, Iranians, btw. Looks like the days of economic sanction troubles will soon be behind you.
i never agreed with "breadline"-policies to begin with, by the way.
that's taking things too far indeed.

What is the problem here? Let the world rejoice in the good news and join the coming Chinese Century. :D

What is more entertaining, is the squealing of American sidekicks and lackies on the certain scenario of being left at the mercy of "hostile neighbours". Broken promises aaeenn???? lol

Enjoy! :D

What is more entertaining, is the squealing of American sidekicks and lackies on the certain scenario of being left at the mercy of "hostile neighbours". Broken promises aaeenn???? lol

Enjoy! :D

How about Pakistan's true cowardice, becoming the lackey lapdog of China?

now, that wasn't a scientifically accurate statement of mine at all.
more like an angry human statement.

if you want me to return to being a true patient diplomat, then you will all refrain from spreading gloat-ful arrogant anti-American statements that could well go viral in the Muslim world and provide significant recruit numbers to "organisations" like ISIS and alQuada!

down boy. play dead. so you stay alive and prosperous!

LOL It hurts you very much that Pakistan and China cooperate. I like it very much.

What happened to your promise that US/NATO were going to invade and occupy Pakistan? LOL

FYI, Pakistan is today finally free from Western meddling. China and Pakistan haven't even started yet. Just wait and see what happens from here on. Regional cooperation is about to spread far and wide.

LOL It hurts you very much that Pakistan and China cooperate. I like it very much.

not at all. i think it's a wise move, for the moment.
that's what i *really* think.
i think your forum arrogance is stupid beyond belief, though.

What happened to your promise that US/NATO were going to invade and occupy Pakistan? LOL

I NEVER EVEN MADE SUCH A STATEMENT, LET ALONE PROMISE!
and neither did any of my peoples in NATO, not even the Americans.
liar.

FYI, Pakistan is today finally free from Western meddling. China and Pakistan haven't even started yet. Just wait and see what happens from here on. Regional cooperation is about to spread far and wide.

until China needs your nukes to participate in a war over the South China Sea oil reserves, of course.
they did just publish a nuclear first strike policy towards Japan if Japan helps out in a 'conventional war' over Taiwan, for instance.

then you'll get nuked just like Shang Hai and Beijing. Don't think we won't.

Last edited:
Look at the history of all old empires. Retreat was never a straight line. Sometime it was fast and swift. Sometime it was slow and even had a comeback before descending again.

now, that wasn't a scientifically accurate statement of mine at all.
more like an angry human statement.

if you want me to return to being a true patient diplomat, then you will all refrain from spreading gloat-ful arrogant anti-American statements that could well go viral in the Muslim world and provide significant recruit numbers to "organisations" like ISIS and alQuada!

down boy. play dead. so you stay alive and prosperous!

HAHAHAHA, how old are you?

As for Pakistan and China, Pakistan developed its relation with China at the time when rest of the world discarded and isolated the Chinese as drug addicts. For your understanding, its similar to America-Israeli partnership. Hell, it was Pakistan which played the role of bridge to bring China and America close. You are clueless clown.

ISIS and Al Qaeda? They are Cia/mossad projects, what you do with them its your own issue. No one gives a shite about these foreign sponsored terrorist organization whose sole goal is to kill Muslims and create anarchy in Muslim lands.

Wheos gloating? The report is from Indian media, an American lacky. They are clearly being left in a lurch by yanks. We, the Pakistan, havent even started yet. Those who camped in Afghanistan for last 20 years and ran the terrible terrorism campaign against Pakistani citizens, 70k+ dead and many injured, they will have to pay with interest.

We got long memories kid. And we will have our revenge. Sit down and pray that you lot were not among those who lit fires in Pakistan during last two decades.

i don't care a rat's *** about the past!

i care about the *future*, mid-term to long-term.
and that's what YOU ALL should be focussing on too.

as to my age : i'm 44 at the moment. but what's that got to do with it?

and India is an American ALLY, like Pakistan is a Chinese ALLY at the moment.

you muslims claim, with your foolishly transparent and arrogant lies, that the US has lost the war on terror.
WE WON IT.

and if you EVER practice terrorism again, then you will find out THE HARD WAY *again*, how foolish that really is.

hell, i bet even Allah will think twice about letting you guys into his best Heaven.
that's probably reserved for the wise and peaceful among you.
The sad news is that the past is knowable but the future is unknown. Focusing on the future is a waste of time. Focusing on NOW is more productive.

The sad news is that the past is knowable but the future is unknown. Focusing on the future is a waste of time. Focusing on NOW is more productive.

i agree, to an extent..

but some of us are (near-)experts at predicting that mid-to-long-term future for Earth's populations, though :)

we do that by reading tons of the bestsellers in science-fiction (or watching the sci-fi movies) (see u*torrent.com for instance, if you're on a low budget), *and* reading about history in for instance this forum's *great* "historical warfare" (paraphrased) sub-forum...

the future is indeed hard or impossible to predict if you don't study the past civilizations victories and downfalls as well.

so i did both :)

i've been at that since about the age of 5, by the way.
truly teaches you that real war is *ugly*.

ISIS and Al Qaeda? They are Cia/mossad projects, what you do with them its your own issue. No one gives a shite about these foreign sponsored terrorist organization whose sole goal is to kill Muslims and create anarchy in Muslim lands.

ISIS and alQuada are self-governed, self-motivated, and do their own recruiting and training of troops!
whatever weapons they managed to steal from the Americans was often blasted apart along with their commanders by our drones..

We got long memories kid. And we will have our revenge. Sit down and pray that you lot were not among those who lit fires in Pakistan during last two decades.

attack us at your own peril and the peril of some of your wives and children as well.
such is the opinion of the vast majority of *our* populations and commanders.

and i'm not the one lighting fires. i'm the one who occasionally has to fight 'fire' with 'fire' (in words and ideas only, *so far*. i truly hope it can stay that way!)..

i'll give you one example : you've been using what we call colatteral damage, the loss of fairly innocent lives, the emotional and material support staff of commanders in organisations like ISIS and alQuada, as a recruitment tool.
you can do that because we use bombs on missiles on small drones to kill terrorist commanders and some of their troops.

so now we're (probably, i'll keep advocating for this every now and then (meaning not all that often, due to budget constraints)), working on somewhat larger drones (with more range and more weather resistance and much better cameras on board), with high-powered lasers, which will heat up the brain (to the point of 'exploding that brain') of a terror commander or soldier in microseconds.
the wives and kids can then stay alive and grieve over the loss of that guy.

Last edited:
i agree, to an extent..

but some of us are (near-)experts at predicting that mid-to-long-term future for Earth's populations, though :)

we do that by reading tons of the bestsellers in science-fiction (or watching the sci-fi movies) (see u*torrent.com for instance, if you're on a low budget), *and* reading about history in for instance this forum's *great* "historical warfare" (paraphrased) sub-forum...

the future is indeed hard or impossible to predict if you don't study the past civilizations victories and downfalls as well.

Even population, which is publicly recognized subject to be easily predicted, can be hard to predict, too. Nobody in China has predicted 10 years ago how Chinese population would be now, which turns out to be a surprise for policy makers who are scrambling to revert the course set by the one-child policy. Few people who make future prediction actually bet on it. In another word, to have their own skin in the game. That is how reliable it can be.

Even population, which is publicly recognized subject to be easily predicted, can be hard to predict, too. Nobody in China has predicted 10 years ago how Chinese population would be now, which turns out to be a surprise for policy makers who are scrambling to revert the course set by the one-child policy. Few people who make future prediction actually bet on it. In another word, to have their own skin in the game. That is how reliable it can be.
noted. :)

i don't care a rat's *** about the past!

i care about the *future*, mid-term to long-term.
and that's what YOU ALL should be focussing on too.

as to my age : i'm 44 at the moment. but what's that got to do with it?

and India is a NATO ALLY, like Pakistan is a Chinese ALLY at the moment.

you muslims claim, with your foolishly transparent and arrogant lies, that the US has lost the war on terror.
WE WON IT.

and if you EVER practice terrorism again, then you will find out THE HARD WAY *again*, how foolish that really is.

hell, i bet even Allah will think twice about letting you guys into his best Heaven.
that's probably reserved for the wise and peaceful among you.

We do care about past as our 70K+ citizens are dead in the proxy wars America and its CIA along with its allies waged against the citizens of Pakistan from Afghan soil in two decades.

You pray that your kind was not the partner in this terrorism campaign against Pakistan otherwise a new orifice will be drilled for you. You are very tiny and insignificant entity.

ISIS and alQuada are self-governed, self-motivated, and do their own recruiting and training of troops!
whatever weapons they managed to steal from the Americans was often blasted apart along with their commanders by our drones..

LOL, and I am the queen of England.

You are rat with similar level of intelligence. Listen to this man, he is American lacky spilling the beans.

i agree, to an extent..

attack us at your own peril and the peril of some of your wives and children as well.
such is the opinion of the vast majority of *our* populations and commanders.

and i'm not the one lighting fires. i'm the one who occasionally has to fight 'fire' with 'fire' (in words and ideas only, *so far*. i truly hope it can stay that way!)..

i'll give you one example : you've been using what we call colatteral damage, the loss of fairly innocent lives, the emotional and material support staff of commanders in organisations like ISIS and alQuada, as a recruitment tool.
you can do that because we use bombs on missiles on small drones to kill terrorist commanders and some of their troops.

so now we're (probably, i'll keep advocating for this), working on somewhat larger drones (with more range and more weather resistance and much better cameras on board), with high-powered lasers, which will heat up the brain (to the point of 'exploding that brain') of a terror commander or soldier in microseconds.
the wives and kids can then stay alive and grieve over the loss of that guy.

Your sorry arse should pray that you and your kind was not involved in the terrorism campaign against Pakistani citizens. We have already reduced America from the sole super power to the one of many. If we can do that to America, you punny shitholes will be crushed like maggots. MARK MY WORDS, world will come to realise soon as to what price will be extracted from those, who have shown the audacity to spread terrorism and proxy wars in a NUKE POWER. So KNOW YOUR PLACE.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom