What's new

Amartya Sen: Modi should NOT be PM

Nobel laureate Amartya Sen has said he does not want Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to become India's prime minister as he does not have secular credentials.

The prominent economist also criticised Modi's model of governance, saying he did not approve of it.

"Yes, I don't want him," Sen told CNN-IBN in reply to a question on whether he wanted him as his prime minister.

"As an Indian citizen, I don't want Modi as my PM. He has not done enough to make minorities feel safe," he said.

Sen elaborated on his comment by stating, "He could have, first of all, been more secular and he could have made the minority community feel more secure."

"No, I don't approve of it. I don't think the record is very good. I think I don't have to be a member of the minority in order to feel insecure. We Indians don't want a situation where the minority feel insecure and could legitimately think that there was an organised violence against them in 2002. I think that is a terrible record and I don't think the Indian prime minister as an Indian citizen, who has that kind of record. No, I do not."

Sen said the physical infrastructure in Gujarat may be good but Modi has not done enough for minorities or for the majority population. He also said that the Gujarat model needs to do much more on the health and education sectors.

He said Modi could have made the majority community feel that they are not maltreating the minority and going against the Indian tradition of being tolerant.

"He could have also taken both of the facts -- that Gujarat’s record in education and healthcare is pretty bad and he has to concentrate on that -- as much as he is concentrating quietly on the physical infrastructure," the Nobel laureate said.

BJP recently anointed Modi as the chairman of its election campaign committee. He is widely believed to be the party’s choice for the prime ministerial candidate in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.

© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Tags: Narendra Modi, CNN-IBN, BJP, Gujaratrsquo, Gujarat

Nobel laureate Amartya Sen has said he does not want Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to become India's prime minister as he does not have secular credentials.

The prominent economist also criticised Modi's model of governance, saying he did not approve of it.

"Yes, I don't want him," Sen told CNN-IBN in reply to a question on whether he wanted him as his prime minister.

"As an Indian citizen, I don't want Modi as my PM. He has not done enough to make minorities feel safe," he said.

Sen elaborated on his comment by stating, "He could have, first of all, been more secular and he could have made the minority community feel more secure."

"No, I don't approve of it. I don't think the record is very good. I think I don't have to be a member of the minority in order to feel insecure. We Indians don't want a situation where the minority feel insecure and could legitimately think that there was an organised violence against them in 2002. I think that is a terrible record and I don't think the Indian prime minister as an Indian citizen, who has that kind of record. No, I do not."

Sen said the physical infrastructure in Gujarat may be good but Modi has not done enough for minorities or for the majority population. He also said that the Gujarat model needs to do much more on the health and education sectors.

He said Modi could have made the majority community feel that they are not maltreating the minority and going against the Indian tradition of being tolerant.

"He could have also taken both of the facts -- that Gujarat’s record in education and healthcare is pretty bad and he has to concentrate on that -- as much as he is concentrating quietly on the physical infrastructure," the Nobel laureate said.

BJP recently anointed Modi as the chairman of its election campaign committee. He is widely believed to be the party’s choice for the prime ministerial candidate in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.

© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Tags: Narendra Modi, CNN-IBN, BJP, Gujaratrsquo, Gujarat

No problem... Let him not vote for BJP....if he has a vote:D

No problem... Let him not vote for BJP....if he has a vote:D

...........Amritya Sen is a man who knows what he wants and how to get it. :lol:

............did you know Amritya Sen got his Nobel Prize after his 3rd marriage. His 3rd wife is Emma Rothschild of the same Rothschild foundation who set up Nobel Prize for Economics :angel:

A year later he got Bharat Ratna too ....... talk about marrying right :azn:

Kofi Annan, ex-General Secretary of United Nations got Nobel Prize for peace after marrying Nane Maria Lagergren of Rothschild dynasty.

Now you know what you need to do if you want a Nobel prize :devil:

He is they suprior with greater braincells thou maggot. He winneth the nobel because he was random forumer not. But coz brain cells superior. He knoweth more than thou and understands more than thou.

He is an Economist. And Politics is not just economics.

Then why conduct such costly elections. We may just ask Mr Sen to nominate the PM.

He is an Economist. And Politics is not just economics.

Then why conduct such costly elections. We may just ask Mr Sen to nominate the PM.

You just pulled that out of your @$$ don't you. I'm scared for you man, it almost looks like you believe in what you said.

If he was talking about economics , people would have listened .

He is talking about secular credentials and this makes it another cr@p article.

If he is so much concerned about secular credentials , he should ask people not to vote for congress because of sikh riots .

If he was talking about economics , people would have listened .

He is talking about secular credentials and this makes it another cr@p article.

If he is so much concerned about secular credentials , he should ask people not to vote for congress because of sikh riots .

At the very least you can infer that he is not impressed with 'Gujarat Model' : A nobel winning economist thinks that it's 'ok' for growth- and you think it's 'great'. Who would be more believeable? Economists are also supposed to be public intellectuals so his 'secular' talk is valid input.

At the very least you can infer that he is not impressed with 'Gujarat Model' : A nobel winning economist thinks that it's 'ok' for growth- and you think it's 'great'. Who would be more believeable? Economists are also supposed to be public intellectuals so his 'secular' talk is valid input.

So according to you how will be best suited for PM post ??? Bhondu (rahul) ??? Just because he is Gandhi???

You just pulled that out of your @$$ don't you. I'm scared for you man, it almost looks like you believe in what you said.

it seems you are an attention seeker.you along with razpak have already become a laughing stock on PDF.
Is amartya sen still holding an indian pass port?if he is still an indian citizen he has every right to express his views.i dont have any problem

Back
Top Bottom