What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Milli tank projesinde sözleşme iptali
Altay'ın motor geliştirmesini ve üretimini gerçekleştirecek olan Tümosan, sözleşme imzaladığı AVL firması ile taahhütleri yerine getirmediği için sözleşmesini iptal etti
http://ekonomi.haber7.com/ekonomi/haber/2245411-milli-tank-projesinde-sozlesme-iptali

English: The agreement with Austrian AVL regarding engine systems has been cancelled. The original agreement was about technical support with regards to the development of the engine with TUMOSAN. AVL hasn't fulfilled its obligation and timeframe in addition to Austrian government's enactment about restricting sales to Turkey. In short a middle finger has been shown to Austria

It seems we are on our own with regards to the national engine. We could need some assistance in this field from other countries that we can ACTUALLY COUNT ON

Mitsubishi, Fiat-Iveco or closely monitor South Korean national powerpack project for their K2. Currently they employ German made MTU, but this year domestic South Korean Doosan DST engines will be installed

No really ? ^ ^

Flashback :

https://defence.pk/threads/turkish-aviation-programs-updates-discussions.62985/page-26#post-5325176

https://defence.pk/threads/turkish-aviation-programs-updates-discussions.62985/page-26#post-5326749

Doosan DST DV27K Diesel Engine

Last edited:
Yes, as i said until Doosan engines are ready they use German. But this year Doosan engines will be installed

If altay is chosen and given to otokar this year , then you have to wait another year for the first "offcial" ones to appear. and changing engine is not a simple battery swap. if the german or the Korean engine is slighty different then you have to redisgn and retest the tank ( more delay). so if the gov say altay will be delivered next year, then it will be a german engine if not then could be the other one

If altay is chosen and given to otokar this year , then you have to wait another year for the first "offcial" ones to appear. and changing engine is not a simple battery swap. if the german or the Korean engine is slighty different then you have to redisgn and retest the tank ( more delay). so if the gov say altay will be delivered next year, then it will be a german engine if not then could be the other one
The first batch of 250 will have MTU engine, its aimed that the remaining 750 will have domestic engine.

I was talking about the south korean K2 tank. This year 2017 Doosan engines will be employed in the K2s. So far the K2's use German MTU, because Doosan engines have not been ready. Seriously you guys need to read closer before dissecting my post, for clarity read my original post again:

The agreement with Austrian AVL regarding engine systems has been cancelled. The original agreement was about technical support with regards to the development of the engine with TUMOSAN. AVL hasn't fulfilled its obligation and timeframe in addition to Austrian government's enactment about restricting sales to Turkey. In short a middle finger has been shown to Austria

It seems we are on our own with regards to the national engine. We could need some assistance in this field from other countries that we can ACTUALLY COUNT ON

Mitsubishi, Fiat-Iveco or closely monitor South Korean national powerpack project for their K2. Currently they employ German made MTU, but this year domestic South Korean Doosan DST engines will be installed

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/altay-mbt-program-updates-discussions.211194/page-159#ixzz4W8SQxcvZ

I was talking about the south korean K2 tank. This year 2017 Doosan engines will be employed in the K2s. So far the K2's use German MTU, because Doosan engines have not been ready. Seriously you guys need to read closer before dissecting my post, for clarity read my original post again:

The agreement with Austrian AVL regarding engine systems has been cancelled. The original agreement was about technical support with regards to the development of the engine with TUMOSAN. AVL hasn't fulfilled its obligation and timeframe in addition to Austrian government's enactment about restricting sales to Turkey. In short a middle finger has been shown to Austria

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/altay-mbt-program-updates-discussions.211194/page-159#ixzz4W8SQxcvZ

my bad

Well Gulf state are interested, don't know if they gonna wait till the second batch with the indegenious one...

A lot of oppurtunities will be missed but in the long run a Altay in mass production will also be cheaper once the engine is hopefully ready, so it could still be a export success. If not a possible Altay 2 will be.

A lot of oppurtunities will be missed but in the long run a Altay in mass production will also be cheaper once the engine is hopefully ready, so it could still be a export success. If not a possible Altay 2 will be.

if the second batch is an indi one, then Atla "2" will only be out after at least 5-7 years... and as every new "toy" export is meant to gain few $ investment back from the project. Meanwhile if Turkey economy suffer from more "external" perturbation, then the altay project will not be in safe tracks

Well although the economy is not great World Bank & Co still expect the economy to grow modestly by 2% or so.

And compared to other projects the tanks are dirt cheap. There is no way that Altay will not be ordered. They might lower the numbers or strech it out over a longer time but 1000 Altays it will be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom