What's new

All options on the table, if Kabul doesn’t act, says officials

Major Sam

STAFF
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD:
Pakistan has conveyed to Afghanistan that it may explore other options including the use of force to stop cross-border attacks if Kabul does not take immediate steps against terrorists.

“All options, including military, are on the table… but our priority at this stage is to resolve the issue through diplomatic channels,” cautioned a senior security official, shortly after an attack on Friday afternoon at a check-post in Bajaur Agency, bordering the Afghan province of Kunar, left an FC man Abdul Qayum Bangash dead.

The senior official strongly criticised Afghan authorities for what he called ‘lack of action’ to rein in ‘terrorist sanctuaries’ on their soil. The official, who asked to remain anonymous, told The Express Tribune that Pakistan had several times urged Afghanistan to destroy terrorist hideouts on its soil in order to ensure that operation ‘Zarb-e-Azb’ is successful. “Contrary to that we have now reports that Afghan authorities are facilitating terrorists to launch attacks on our side,” he added.

Although, the official would not go into details about the military option, sources said Pakistan had warned Afghanistan that it might resort to ‘hot pursuit’ to destroy Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) hideouts in Kunar and Nuristan provinces if Kabul failed to take appropriate steps against them.

However, a senior foreign office official insisted that Pakistan would try to resolve the issue at diplomatic levels.

53.jpg

FC official killed

On Friday, Pakistan launched a strong protest with Afghanistan for the second time in three days over the latest cross border attack in Bajaur. Security officials said that at around 3 pm on Friday afternoon, militants from Kunar province fired at the Ghakhai check-post and fled. Earlier, on July 30, 70 to 80 militants attacked a check-post in lower Dir, where military officials said seven militants were killed and nine injured in retaliatory fire.

“A strong protest has been lodged with the charge d’affaires of Afghanistan over another cross-border attack by terrorists on Friday. A Pakistani soldier embraced Shahadat due to sniper fire from the Afghan side of the border at a Pakistani military post near Ghakhai Pass in Bajaur Agency,” said a statement issued by the foreign ministry.

It was stressed to the charge d’affaires that the Afghan authorities must take concrete action to stop such incidents and prevent the recurrence of cross-border fire and physical attacks by terrorists operating from Afghan territory, the statement added.

Sources said the government had also decided to take up the matter at the highest level in order to avoid further escalation in tensions.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is likely to telephone President Hamid Karzai and convey Pakistan’s concern over the increase in cross-border attacks.

In June, the prime minister sent Chief of the Pakhtoonkhwa Milli Awami Party Mahmood Khan Achakzai to Kabul after reports that terrorists from across the border were planning massive attacks on Pakistani posts.

Pakistan has sought Afghanistan’s cooperation ever since it launched a military offensive in North Waziristan Agency. Both the civil and military leadership have publicly stated that the ongoing operation is targeting all groups including the Haqqani Network.

However, Afghan authorities are skeptical of Pakistan’s claim and insisted that Operation Zarb-e-Azb has not targeted the Haqqani Network, which has launched some daring attacks in Afghanistan.

Some Pakistani officials feel the ongoing attacks from across the border might be linked with the current political impasse in Afghanistan. They suspect that President Karzai appears to cling to power by encouraging cross-border attacks that may jeopardise the transfer of power in Kabul.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 2nd, 2014.

Cross-border incursions: All options on the table, if Kabul doesn’t act, says officials – The Express Tribune

Afghanistan will not act against anti Pakistan elements, PD should bomb these rented terrorists & their hide outs in Afghanistan.

"Options" should be exercised.. i doubt that the afghan govt has any writ outside the presidential palace..

They have no control over that region and I personally don't think we should cross an international border. That is not what a civilised state does. I could just imagine the uproar from the world if we did such a thing.

The border should be beefed up, have maximum firepower there and increase our intelligence.

They have no control over that region and I personally don't think we should cross an international border. That is not what a civilised state does. I could just imagine the uproar from the world if we did such a thing.

The border should be beefed up, have maximum firepower there and increase our intelligence.

Disagree. Afghanistan has long hosted anti-Pakistan elements as a matter of policy - from Pakhtoonistan to Baluch malcontents.

We must find Mulla Fazlullah and his accomplices and neutralize them. Precedents exist and we should have no qualms in doing so.

All we should do is to ensure no Afghans are killed.

Pakistan should experiment our own drones and destroy their safe haven instead use of forces.

Disagree. Afghanistan has long hosted anti-Pakistan elements as a matter of policy - from Pakhtoonistan to Baluch malcontents.

We must find Mulla Fazlullah and his accomplices and neutralize them. Precedents exist and we should have no qualms in doing so.

All we should do is to ensure no Afghans are killed.

Two questions: Does Pakistan have the technical ability to carry out such a raid? And can Pakistan resist the inevitable fallout from such a step were it to be carried out?

Two questions: Does Pakistan have the technical ability to carry out such a raid? And can Pakistan resist the inevitable fallout from such a step were it to be carried out?

We are already experiencing plenty of fall-out. Taking out strategic terrorist assets should not be a problem. These people hail from Pakistan and getting rid of them should be our prerogative, particularly since Afghans themselves are not willing or able to do something.

I am well-aware of the reverse case. But do note that Afghans have never passed up an opportunity to host anti-Pakistan elements. If we act now, we can achieve some results. After the Americans are gone, we might not be able to take such steps. No one can say how things turn out once Americans leave. I do hope you recall the incident of Americans arresting Hakimullah Mehsud's deputy while he was travelling with KHAD operatives inside Afghanistan. Americans would understand our concerns and keep Afghans from doing something about it.

In case such a decision is made, our planners would probably make contingency plans and a strategy to be executed.

Our troops may troll them at the streets of Kabul if yara Pakistan wants :D

We had the same issue with Iraq and Syria. We tried everything but we've learned that force is the solution. Assad kicked the PKK Leader out of it's country when 55,000 troops were mobilized at border. Same with Iraq. Jets have been repeatedly bombing Northern Iraq for over years.

Especially a country like Afghanistan should have watched it's border. PA should take action.

We are already experiencing plenty of fall-out. Taking out strategic terrorist assets should not be a problem. These people hail from Pakistan and getting rid of them should be our prerogative, particularly since Afghans themselves are not willing or able to do something.

I am well-aware of the reverse case. But do note that Afghans have never passed up an opportunity to host anti-Pakistan elements. If we act now, we can achieve some results. After the Americans are gone, we might not be able to take such steps. No one can say how things turn out once Americans leave. I do hope you recall the incident of Americans arresting Hakimullah Mehsud's deputy while he was travelling with KHAD operatives inside Afghanistan. Americans would understand our concerns and keep Afghans from doing something about it.

In case such a decision is made, our planners would probably make contingency plans and a strategy to be executed.

I doubt that any such operation can be carried out by Pakistan, regardless of whether Americans are in Afghanistan or not. I can see something being carried out by sympathetic proxies, yes, but an SSG raid? I don't think so.

I doubt that any such operation can be carried out by Pakistan, regardless of whether Americans are in Afghanistan or not. I can see something being carried out by sympathetic proxies, yes, but an SSG raid? I don't think so.

Pakistanis know the place well enough. Plenty of our army men have been there in the past. Proxies would be more problematic for various reasons, I imagine. An outright raid based on solid intelligence might be an option. How else to get rid of many dozens of motivated enemy?

Pakistanis know the place well enough. Plenty of our army men have been there in the past. Proxies would be more problematic for various reasons, I imagine. An outright raid based on solid intelligence might be an option. How else to get rid of many dozens of motivated enemy?

I would still bet that such a direct raid would be very unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom