What's new

AIRFORCE, Switzerland style.

jhungary

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
China
When people talk about Switzerland, first thing come to mind was their irresistible chocolate. Well, up on the mountain range of the Alps have the best bred milk of the entire universe (Probably an overkill). But then you will immediately associate the country with their neutrality.

Switzerland being renounced as a neutral country. generally do not engage into any conflict in this world. Nor will start any. Have been able to stay neutral between the 2 great war is not easy, but that does not mean Switzerland is anykind of sissy that do not fight.

Infact, the truth is very much far from that, swiss is a fighter nation, where every man, women and old men are conscript and they don't let you go until you reach a very old age. Last war dating back to 1871. Where the Franco-Prussian war call for arms of Switzerland. Switzerland responsed and have never use their troop since.

Being the only 2 branch of their military (Switzerland is a landlocked country and hence no navy) Air Force is the heart and the guardian of the skies. Which also serve as the first responder of any conflict or incident that would require an armed intervention.

Switzerland Air Force operate 3 Squadron (34 planes) of F-18 hornet

Swiss_AF_Boeing_FA-18D_Hornet.jpg

and 4 Squadron (48 planes) of F-5 Tiger

220px-X-street.jpg

Talks have been established between Switzerland and Sweden to buy some of the JAS-39 Gripen and with the expected delivery of 2018, thus replacing the F-5

However, at this point you should know that Switzerland being a small country. It's Airforce does not operate like many other country. That is they don't generally operate in Air Field.

Switzerland have designed so that Military Airfield will intersect with Major Arterial Highways thus with every major incident, if the said airbase is bombed, the Swiss can launch their plane with co-joined highway and make it into make shift airfield.

Another feature of Switzerland Airforce that do what normal country would not is, they do not maintain a 24/7 coverage in peace time. Yes, no planes were to fly over after office hours or weekdays.

According to FACTS magazine, the decision NOT to keep 24/7 operational ability is based on several factor.

1.) Switzerland is a small country with small air corridor, you can fly from any point in Switzerland to any other point in Switzerland within 15 minutes using a F-18

2.) The noise control law dictate that all aircraft (Military Aircraft included) must not be taking off or landing in urban area after 22:30.

3.) Budget requirement dictate that training hours and airfield maintenance are not optimal for 24/7 service

So, literally, in peace time every member of Switzerland Air Force got to go home after 5:30 and have week end off. ain't that great??

Swiss Air Force | globerove.com
Swiss Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@jhungary nice post bro but what kind of squadron formation is this ? 3 Squadron (34 planes) which means 11.333 planes (that is also not correct) in each squadron :P

Last edited by a moderator:
@jhungary, I thought F-5 were de-activated.

I was hoping they opt or F-18E/F because they have Infrastructure in place.

Apple store in Switzerland. :whistle:

Apple-Store-Assualt-Rifle-e1313095992660.jpg

The Gripen was selected...

The Gripen was selected...

Yeah said I was hoping, lets hope they get brand new Gripens and not second hand refurbished considering sweden is selling-leasing second hand.

So, literally, in peace time every member of Switzerland Air Force got to go home after 5:30 and have week end off. ain't that great??

24X7 duty in armed forces are boring . I am jealous to swiss armed forces, in my country even 24X7X365.25 :cry:

@jhungary nice post bro but what kind of squadron formation is this ? 3 Squadron (34 planes) which means 11.333 planes (that is also not correct) in each squadron :P

I actually have no idea, but this is what they say

Flghter Squadron 11, Fighter Squadron 16, Fighter Squadron 17 are flying with F-18

No, they are still using F-5E for air Policing and as a Electronic Aircraft. Gripen will be fully replace F-5 starting from 2018

Talked to a Swiss Pilot when I was in Sweden some years ago and he said neither Gripen nor Superhornet should be chosen, many in Swiss Air Force prefer the EuroFighter. Because in case of a war, the Swiss Air Force may be folded into the command of Germany Luftwaffe. They should be using Typhoon instead of Gripen, but since Gripen is way cheaper, they have no choice...

24X7 duty in armed forces are boring . I am jealous to swiss armed forces, in my country even 24X7X365.25 :cry:

lol :lol:

Yeah said I was hoping, lets hope they get brand new Gripens and not second hand refurbished considering sweden is selling-leasing second hand.

as far as I know, Swiss will first lease the ex-Swedish Gripen first, and then upgrade to NG when the time come.

as far as I know, Swiss will first lease the ex-Swedish Gripen first, and then upgrade to NG when the time come.

No, the Swedes have offered a lease of their Gripen C/Ds and will upgrade parts of their own once to E/F level in future, but the Swiss is aimed to get new E/Fs when they will be available around 2018. When they take C/Ds it would only be a stopgap solution.
Fighters for Switzerland makes no logical sense and is mainly a matter of pride. They don't participate in European or UN missions, they can't stand a day if attacked by most of their neighbors and more importantly, they can't afford anything else than a Gripen anyway, which made the whole competition worthless.

Well, i don't have access to military people but public sphere suggest the leased ones will be returned, and that the E models will be all newly built, with considerable amount of parts from Switzerland.

#edit: nvm sancho beat me to it.

No, the Swedes have offered a lease of their Gripen C/Ds and will upgrade parts of their own once to E/F level in future, but the Swiss is aimed to get new E/Fs when they will be available around 2018. When they take C/Ds it would only be a stopgap solution.
Fighters for Switzerland makes no logical sense and is mainly a matter of pride. They don't participate in European or UN missions, they can't stand a day if attacked by most of their neighbors and more importantly, they can't afford anything else than a Gripen anyway, which made the whole competition worthless.

That's actually was what I was saying. Swiss is leasing the Gripen C/D from Sweden first, and then replace them with NG when they are ready. by the way, Swiss is one of the country that's contributed to NG development and they are also paying for it.

Also leasing the Ex-Swedish Gripen help the Swiss trained with later Gripen NG. The lease will be coming to Switzerland from 2016

And Switzerland is an active UN Peace Mission Participant and also EUROFOR mission.

milit.parsys.0003.Image.jpeg

Swiss UN in Lebanon

unmee__aethiopien.parsys.79384.Image.jpeg

In Sudan

eaf3643f6730fe187f6d532cfdbb79f461720a86_r.jpg

Swisscoy Desert training

factsheet.parsys.0001.Image.direct.jpeg

Swisscoy, KFOR, Kosovo

eufor.parsys.0001.Image.jpeg

EUFOR, Bosnia

Many people actually do not know Swiss is one of the biggest international deployment partner of UN and for some reason, they usually answer to call of the NATO/EU too.

The swiss defence motto is you can try and attack us, but we will bleed you dry even if you succeed, that's why they can stay neutral in many war....But yes, if they are being attack, chances are Germany will be the one that that suppose to protect Switzerland, unless, of course, the attacker is Germany itself...

Some ground forces possibly, but not fighters in any war and not only Germany, but also France or Italy could easily expand their air policing areas over Swiss, which would be much more effective and cheaper for them. However, now they have to settle with the least capable fighter according to their evaluation, which still is much more than they need.

Back
Top Bottom