What's new

AirForce Monthly - 2 Chinese AESA radar competing for Block 3

Not really ... with AESA radar and EW suite f16 will be detected first ... however, bvr of f16 are also top class and have a great success rate but WVR suerly rafael has edge unless PAG gets AIM 9x ... real difference is aesa radar .. blk 52 could have edge due to small and nible size if gets upgraded to V configuration ..

Rafale AESA radar and EW suit will only have advantage when F-16 block50/52+ EW suit can not handle those and I think in this department F-16s can give Rafales run for their money, do remember that both sides will be deploying AWACS and EW assets too.

What if PAF goes for upgradation of its F-16 to block 60 standard?

What's roughly is purchasing capacity of PAF besides JF-17 block 3?
nothing, untill the PA is the main force and mind set doesnt change PAF will not be to buy anything
75% of funding goes to army.
army needs to reduce its size from massive 7lac to 5 lac(it already has a 2lac strong para military force as well).
if Pakistan could pay 3-4b $ in 90s, i bet it can arrange 3-4B for air force if there was a strong will

it still matter of debate how much funding hsould armed forces get, though in my opinion army should not get the pirority it should be the airforce, but we are seeing a reverse trend here

nothing, untill the PA is the main force and mind set doesnt change PAF will not be to buy anything
75% of funding goes to army.
army needs to reduce its size from massive 7lac to 5 lac(it already has a 2lac strong para military force as well).
if Pakistan could pay 3-4b $ in 90s, i bet it can arrange 3-4B for air force if there was a strong will

it still matter of debate how much funding hsould armed forces get, though in my opinion army should not get the pirority it should be the airforce, but we are seeing a reverse trend here

But as far as I know 24% is left for acquisition for arms/weapons and it is divided among three on priority ??

su 35 bad idea because india knows it in and out, the time was 90s and when he lost it

Iaf and Egyptian fly f16 so does 25 other af in the world so does this means they have everything on each other ??

;)

Su30 were qualified with French domicile pods for Malaysia so does this means now anyone using pods or plane are compromised ???

or cough 3-4 billion dollars and go for mix of old and new eurofighter typhoons..i am not sure how germany will respond but italy and UK would be easier to convince

italy has about 24 fighters in storage that were offered to Romania at cost of 1.2 Billion dollars with training

pakistan should be able to convince them if they opt for mix of old and new fighters
The Typhoons Italy and Spain are offering are Tranche 1s. The Tranche 1 is basically an interceptor, albeit a very good one, but the PAF has been seeking a true swing-role platform to succeed the Mirage ROSE I and II, which have split air defence and strike, respectively. The Italian/Spanish Tranche 1 would be amazing for the ROSE I, but for the strike element ROSE II/III, the PAF would basically need the Typhoon Tranche 3.

Kuwait is paying about $325 million per Tranche 3, but that includes weapons and a support package (i.e. maintenance, logistics, training, etc) which I (opinion) expect is for at least 15-20 years.

Last edited:
Air cooling implies GaN devices are used for their being high power with less thermal activation..

As far as I know GaN is so far the most promising and some folks have put them into sockets. Definitely, lots of R&D for extensive bandwidth engineering with new materials is going on. Are the Chinese using some other III-V devices or engineering GaN itself?
Chinese Manufacturers Catch up in GaN Technology

Chinese manufacturers technology have advanced in the past year to result in large GaN price fluctuations, and have entered III-V EPI-wafer synthesizing industry to build a comprehensive IoT and telecommunication supply chain in the upstream sector.

2016-08-23

http://www.fineohms.com/en/chinese-manufacturers-catch-up-in-gan-technology/

that explains it.
damn! let me guess you live in sunny California.

would you reckon it would use a Chinese isrt or a European[italian] one.
Chinese IRST, since the AESA radar will be Chinese.. integration is important..

Dude, the thing India will have when we have our JF-17 block 3 are rafales. I heard today that India is negotiation for more rafales. The question is will JF-17 block 3 stand in front of rafale with all these new features?
It is a good sign that the JF-17 Blk3 is going to be a hell of a fighter, for India to negotiate for 50 more Rafale to counter it..

The Typhoons Italy and Spain are offering are Tranche 1s. The Tranche 1 is basically an interceptor, albeit a very good one, but the PAF has been seeking a true swing-role platform to succeed the Mirage ROSE I and II, which have split air defence and strike, respectively. The Italian/Spanish Tranche 1 would be amazing for the ROSE I, but for the strike element ROSE II/III, the PAF would basically need the Typhoon Tranche 3.

Kuwait is paying about $325 million per Tranche 3, but that includes weapons and a support package (i.e. maintenance, logistics, training, etc) which I (opinion) expect is for at least 15-20 years.

I wonder how many F-16 block 52 or M2k we can get in 325 Million Dollar ?

if pakistan can get an offer that matches Romania offer(i doubt it though) for used typhoons i.e 24 for 1.2B dollars, add another 12-18 new trench 3 Acs @100 million that would be 3 billion .
for weapons, add another billion $ ..
Total package of somewhere around 4 billion dollars, should solve PAF short term short coming against IAF. Add this to some older f-16s here and there and thunder program, PAF will be potent enough to face IAF

other options are obliviously flanker at around 70 million though i doubt Russia will agree to this and recent sales to india suggest its more than 70M.

I am not sure about f-16s, but seems getting anything beyond B52 is impossible.
with no AESA and no new gen weapons its not going to give any tech edge or boast

i dont know how the GCC deal works, seemingly they may much more than any other country. india is getting its rafale base price at around 100Mwith weapons, training
I wonder how many F-16 block 52 or M2k we can get in 325 Million Dollar ?
325 seems to be inflated cost, its not the fly over cost which should be around 100 million about 20 million expensive than f-16.
This probably includes, weapons, training, and even maintenance logistics that Kuwait would probably not do locally for over life time of the fighter

325 seems to be inflated cost, its not the fly over cost which should be around 100 million about 20 million expensive than f-16.
This probably includes, weapons, training, and even maintenance logistics that Kuwait would probably not do locally for over life time of the fighter

well even than buying a 100+ M$ planes for Strikes roles for PAF will be a no go .. what we have to do is get remaining F-16's , those block 52 are very potent fighters , and with a good pilot and AIM-9X/C it can rival Rafale or at least stand some chance .. and F-16 are also good for Air to Ground strike roles as we see in FATA ..

well even than buying a 100+ M$ planes for Strikes roles for PAF will be a no go .. what we have to do is get remaining F-16's , those block 52 are very potent fighters , and with a good pilot and AIM-9X/C it can rival Rafale or at least stand some chance .. and F-16 are also good for Air to Ground strike roles as we see in FATA ..
ahh--if only we could get the aim 9x
no b52 are inferior to rafale they dont have an AESA

ahh--if only we could get the aim 9x
no b52 are inferior to rafale they dont have an AESA

I never say they are Superior to Rafale , what i say with AIM9X and with skills of Pilot they will stand a chance under PA air space .. of course one on one Rafale will beat the fuel out of F-16 any day but there wont be many one on one Air battles specially in Indo-Pak wars ..

I never say they are Superior to Rafale , what i say with AIM9X and with skills of Pilot they will stand a chance under PA air space .. of course one on one Rafale will beat the fuel out of F-16 any day but there wont be many one on one Air battles specially in Indo-Pak wars ..
brother you aint getting aim9x or aim 120D

brother you aint getting aim9x or aim 120D

well 2-3 years ago we were not getting AH-Z1 Zulu's to , and also a year ago 8 F-16's were offered which we refused to pay to get them .. If US needed Pakistan to keep its interest in region and keeping the balance in S.Asia they might release the sell of these AIM9X and AIM120D along with 18 remaining F-16's .. be hopeful brother :)

Back
Top Bottom