Airbus plans to set up assembly line & supplier base in India

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: ECONOMIC TIMES

bl22_Airbus-Pierre_2592889g.jpg

The Airbus Group has procured equipment worth over $500 million from India in 2015, supporting 6,000 jobs among its 45 suppliers. The group is keen on its military aircraft for Make in India and wants to set up final assembly lines. However, the Eurofighter may be a thing of the past,Airbus India President Pierre de Bausset tells Manu Pubby in an interview. Edited excerpts:

Are you looking at setting up a final assembly line in India for a military aircraft?

We have bid for C295W medium transport aircraft as a replacement for IAF’s Avro fleet. If selected, together with Tata, we will set up a C295W final assembly line in India and a supplier base to feed it. We have also partnered with Mahindra for helicopter manufacturing in India. We are already laying the groundwork and are readying ourselves for fast-track implementation in case the government accepts our proposals.

On Eurofighter, we have moved on and put the campaign in India behind us.

The latest Union Budget provides only a modest increase in the defence outlay. How do you see that affecting your programs?

I believe they will find the resources if they are convinced about the merits of a proposal and see a tangible ‘Make in India’ benefit. This is where we stand out. We don’t offer India just a great product but the promise of an indigenous defence industrial ecosystem, entailing large scale jobs creation and skill development.

Ramping-up manufacturing in India would require a substantial amount of skilled aerospace workforce which is in shortage. How will you tackle this?

This is a real challenge and honestly there is no quick fix. We will work alongside partners and invest in training and skilling people. A good example is how we work with our suppliers here who, by the way, employ over 6,000 people on our projects. We provide them intensive training and mentoring. I am also impressed by how partners, like TASL in particular, have set up programmes to skill their blue collars, and I believe there are lessons in this.

What are your expectations from the new Defence Procurement Procedure?

If it succeeds in simplifying processes, cutting the time it currently takes between issuing a tender and its closure, it will be good. It should have sufficient checks and balances to not let the process stall for unqualified reasons.

The concept of strategic partnerships in the context of the Aatre Committee report needs a closer look. The segmentation, duration of exclusivity, their ability to partner and to consolidate needs to be fully assessed.

Soon Airbus will find out the make quality of India. And will pull out. Mark my words. A company making airplanes used by millions cant risk bringing down its make quality.

Soon Airbus will find out the make quality of India. And will pull out. Mark my words. A company making airplanes used by millions cant risk bringing down its make quality.

Don't be Jealous! India is already a part of Boeing's supply chain so why not Airbus?

As for quality - not too far back in time, Made in China was synonymous with poor quality and look where they are now.

Oh yeah, it's just a matter of time:argh::argh::argh:.

And then they will move it's manufacturing to pakistan. AIRBUS IS SO DUMB, they just love wasting their time and money.
:flame::flame:

This old gem again, sorry to say it but you are behind the times my chum- India is already a global player in the outsourcing of aviation components and sub-assemblies for the 787, 737, P-8, S-92, C-295, A310, A320, A330, CH-47, AH-64, F-18, C-17, C-130, Do-228 etc etc. Needless to say these are products from the leading aviation giants in the world; Airbus, Boeing, Lockhead Martin, Sikorsky and Dornier.

S-92 Cabins (incidentally TATA will deliver such cabins to the USMC's HMX-1, the squadron that flies the infamour "Marine One" that transport the POTUS, they have no issue with the "inferior" quality delivered by Indians):

ALZmvXK.jpg

Yyoz5mN.jpg

a1gkG5z.jpg

ScKX73R.jpg

Lockheed Martin Modules:

APTImxg.jpg

oe02qCe.jpg

Do-228:

uoQIFGT.jpg

Chinook:

tGIfLSz.jpg

India eyes global aviation outsourcing pie - Times of India

Boeing doubles outsourcing from India to $500 million in a year - The Economic Times

Airbus to increase Indian outsourcing to US $2 billion | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Boeing and Tata Announce Aerospace Joint Venture in India - AVIATIONNEWS.EU

Airbus, Tata To Build Indian AF Transport

Pilatus, Tata join hands to make 'Green Aircraft' at Hyderabad - timesofindia-economictimes

Tata hands over air-to-air refuelling parts to Cobham - The Hindu

When you don't like the news you resort to mud-slinging, how typical.

@PARIKRAMA @Levina @anant_s @Water Car Engineer @acetophenol @AUSTERLITZ @MilSpec @nair

On Eurofighter, we have moved on and put the campaign in India behind us.
Eurofighter's chances in India= exactly 0% then :D

@PARIKRAMA @surya kiran @Taygibay @Picdelamirand-oil @randomradio @Armani

Someday in the near future, you will be flying in an aircraft in which at least 1 part has been made in India.

Dynamatic-Oldland Aerospace™ | Dynamatic Technologies Limited | Precision Engineering

Dynamatic-Oldland Aerospace™ also works closely with EADS and Spirit AeroSystems to assemble Flap Track Beams for the Airbus Single Aisle A-320 Family of Aircrafts on a Single Source basis. This is the first time that a functional aero-structure of a major commercial jet is being manufactured in the Indian Private Sector.

Dynamatic-Oldland Aerospace™, UK, is a unique state-of-the-art Aeronautical manufacturing facility possessing complex 5 axis machining capabilities for the manufacture of Aerospace components and tooling. This high-end precision engineering Company is a certified supplier to Airbus UK, Boeing, GKN Aerospace, Magellan Aerospace, GE Aviation Systems, Lockheed Martin, Agusta Westland, Spirit AeroSystems, UK.

CORPORATE-STRUCTURE.jpg

Eurofighter's chances in India= exactly 0% then :D

When was it ever in doubt? Except for a few skeptics here. 200+ Rafale is a given. Now will it happen in 1 order. No. It will happen over the next 10 years. The overall plan like we have always said is ~350 Su-30s, 200 odd Rafale and 200 odd Tejas. Add to this InAF and the odd Jags and Mig 29s .

Back
Top Bottom