What's new

Afghans celebrate their historic, 1st ever Cricket World Cup win.....

oFFbEAT

Reaction score
Country
India
As members of the Afghan national team fell to their knees in tears after winning their first-ever match in the Cricket World Cup, adoring fans at home erupted in celebration.

The Blue Tigers, considered underdogs going into the tournament, pulled off a dramatic, one-wicket win over Scotland on February 26 at the University Oval in Dunedin, New Zealand.

Following the victory, players ran around the field in wild celebration as thousands of Afghan supporters cheered them on.

In Kabul, streets were clogged with dancing revelers and motorists honking horns in celebration. Hundreds of Afghans gathered at the Afghan Cricket Board's office in the capital, waving national flags and cheering.
afghan-cricket-fan.jpg

B-wO3eWUYAA6S7K.jpg

Chasing 211 in Dunedin, Afghanistan were reduced to 97-7 but Samiullah Shenwari's 96 gave them hope.
He was caught on the boundary with 19 still required, but last man Shapoor Zadran hit the third ball of the final over for four to seal victory.
Scotland: 210 all out (50 overs): Machan 31, Haq 31, S Zadran 4-38
Afghanistan: 211-9 (49.3 overs): Shenwari 96, Ahmadi 51, Berrington 4-40
1C1C18AE-8CCE-4399-A8A5-4A3E820F5070_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy13_cw0.jpg

In other major cities, celebratory gunfire rang out, prompting police intervention. In some areas security forces joined in the celebrations. Several people were reported injured by gunfire in the southeastern provinces of Ghazni, Kunar, and Nangarhar

Afghanistan Beat Scotland by a Wicket to Win 1st Ever World Cup Match - World Cup 2015 News

Last edited:
Mini Pakistan team :p: similar culture and people congrats Afghanistan it was epic celebration :D

Congrats to Afghanistan, this is the start, hope you guys achieve more success....

congrats my afghan brothers... i wish that i may one day see a happy peaceful and progressing afghanistan

Congrats to Afghanistan Cricket team without a proper infrastructure first they Qualify for WC and now win against Scotland..!!! :-)

Back
Top Bottom