A.Rafay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
600911-afghanistanflagafp-1378493482-125-640x480.jpg

Alliance of non-Pukhtun leaders under fire for widening ethnic divide​

ISLAMABAD:
Election fever has gripped Afghanistan ahead of the presidential elections scheduled to be held in a few months. In preparation of this, three new alliances have taken form within just two weeks.

More than a dozen senior non-Pukhtun leaders, mostly from the Northern Alliance, forged a major coalition last week. However, it has faced immense criticism for widening the ethnic divide as it involves no Pukhtun leader.
Leaders of the Election Union of Afghanistan were expected to name a candidate at the time of its launch on August 29, but failed to put one forward. Leaders say they will soon declare candidates for president and vice-president after a mutual decision is reached.
The alliance comprises of nearly 13 political parties, fronts, coalitions and councils. Though it has been under harsh criticism for underrepresentation, the alliance’s leaders have been in contact with Pukhtun leaders, including President Hamid Karzai’s elder brother Abdul Qayyum Karzai and former Afghan interior minister Ali Ahmad Jalali. Both individuals, however, shied away from attending the launch ceremony.

Non-Pukhtun leaders who attended the ceremony on August 29 included Dr Abdullah Abdullah, Ahmad Zia Masud, Gen Abdur Rashid Dostum, Salahuddin Rabbani, Mohammad Mohaqeq and Amrullah Saleh.
Possible contenders from the union remain few, namely Dr Abdullah and Masud.
Civil society groups have also accused the non-Pukhtun coalition of fueling ethnic and religious problems. They urged the Afghan government to vigilantly monitor the coalition’s activities.
Network of Young Activists for Reform and Change, a youth group, accused the coalition of speaking the same political language and pretending as if elections will only be limited to Afghanistan’s northern provinces, where most coalition members hail from.
The youth group organised a gathering in Kabul on September 2 and condemned the formation of the alliance on ethnic grounds, warning such a move would divide the nation.
Election Union leaders, realising the mass criticism against their ethnic approach, hinted at holding talks with leaders in southern and eastern parts of the country.
Tajik leader Wali Masood Masud called on all prominent figures from the south to join hands with the Election Union to establish a strong government through a transparent and fair election.
“We request all political parties and sides to reach an agreement on a single candidate to address people’s concern and achieve the larger objective of building Afghanistan,” Masud said in an interview with Channel One TV. “The union wants to hold a major conference for brothers from the east and south, and we are in contact with prominent political figures.”
The Pukhtuns plan to form their own alliance in coming days. Ali Jilali, Qayyum Karzai and fomer ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad are involved in backdoor negotiations to form a counter alliance.
Jalali told Tolonews TV national unity should be considered while forming any coalition for the upcoming presidential elections. “Potential candidates are very cautious about contesting the elections and prefer to be nominated by a coalition or a team,” he said.
Analysts, however, remain pessimistic over the ongoing discussion of forming coalitions. They claim no individual or group has succeeded in presenting a comprehensive programme to rescue the country from its current crisis.
“The issue of ethnicity has turned into a big problem in Afghanistan recently. Most of these gatherings are aimed to attain power rather than to serve people’s interests. Strategies are based on individual interest,” said Sediqollah Towhedi, the head of Free Media Watch.
Ethnicity will play a key role in influencing the presidential elections, especially considering the presence of weak political parties. In the absence of active political parties, individuals are more powerful and coalitions are seasonal, periodic and based on individual interest.

Alliance of non-Pukhtun leaders under fire for widening ethnic divide – The Express Tribune

If a non-Pashtun wins the elections, or the Pashtun community doesn't turn up in large numbers, it's gonna make the entire situation worse.

I've said it millions of times, it's not the rest of the world that's holding back Afghanistan, it's Afghanistan's tribalism that's holding back Afghanistan.

--

Mods, please stick this thread. The 2014 Afghanistan general elections are going to be a major game changer for everyone, it deserves a dedicated thread on the forums.

Actually I tried to think of realistic scenarios where a blood bath could be averted -- sadly I could not think of any.

Would be interested to learn, if folks know of possible routes out of this mess?

I am a Pashtun but will never argue on what you guys as 'Pakistani' doing for my country; this mentality needs to be changed first within our country and later outside that Pashtuns aren't meant to be too good for ruling Afghanistan; for me even a Pamiri can rule Afghanistan if he has plans for the people of Afghanistan to take them out from all the miseries and take Afghanistan to a new path with all his heart.

I never had an election card but will take one and will vote for anyone who suits better the post 2014 elections; he could be a Hazara, Tajik, Uzbek or Pashtun doesn't matter to me.

PS: I am happy that such alliances are active they were those who fought eachother in Kabul streets but now they talk on the table for power sharing big change I see and very positive engagement. Good luck to any servant of the people of Afghanistan!

Back
Top Bottom