What's new

Afghanistan beat Pakistan 3-0 in Kabul friendly Football match

Ahmad Shah Abdali

Reaction score
Afghanistan's footballers have triumphed 3-0 over Pakistan in a friendly match, the first international game played in Kabul in a decade.

KABUL- The home side dominated the game from the kick-off, going three goals ahead mid-way through the second half to the delight of their rapturous supporters.

It was the first game between the two countries in Kabul for 30 years.

The match was billed as an indication of Afghanistan's return to normality after decades of war.

Hopes were high that it might also help ease political tensions.

The outcome of the game - broadcast live - triggered a wave of post-match delirium in a country bedevilled by decades of war and poverty, sparking rowdy celebrations across the country.

However there were few Pakistani supporters or women fans of either team in the 6,000-capacity crowd at the recently-built Afghanistan Football Federation (AFF) stadium.

Afghanistan took the lead in the "friendship match" through striker Sanjar Ahmadi in the 20th minute. Forward Harash Atefi doubled the score 12 minutes later, and midfielder Marouf Mahmoudi made it 3-0 in the 71st minute.

The BBC's Karen Allen in Kabul says the friendly was being seen as a deeply symbolic moment.

Afghan and Pakistani political leaders are due to meet for critical peace talks next week.

Many Afghans saw the match as a sweet victory over an old and bitter adversary.

"I am a huge football fan, and this match was so important for us," Shabir Ahmad, 27, a government employee at the match told AFP news agency.

"There are a lot of rivalries between Afghanistan and Pakistan, even if this match was meant to boost friendship."

AFF Secretary General Sayed Aghazada said that the match showed "that after a very difficult period" Afghanistan "was returning to normality".

"Afghan football has improved in terms of organisation and infrastructure, and we now believe that football can play an even bigger role in our country."

Pakistani officials also expressed optimism that the match would deepen the relationship between the two countries.

Football was not banned during the Taliban's rule in Afghanistan from 1996 until 2001, but during their time in power they used the old Ghazi stadium in Kabul as a venue for executions, stonings and mutilations.

One spectator, Ahmadzai Fazeli, 25, told AFP that Taliban insurgents at a roadblock in volatile Wardak province had wished the team every success.

"On the way here the Taliban stopped me. I told them I was going to the football match, and they happily let me pass," he said. "Now I am here feeling very patriotic and happy."

Ranked 139th in the world, Afghanistan had last played at home in 2003 against Turkmenistan.

Pakistan's team is ranked 28 places below Afghanistan and has not played in Kabul since 1977.

Head coach Zavisa Milosavljev told AFP that his aim was to get international exposure for youth players and players "who don't play continually".

"Pakistan also has problems," he said. "We haven't played a single match in Pakistan."

BBC News - Afghanistan beat Pakistan 3-0 in Kabul friendly

Congrats to afghan members

I knew it.because pakistan football team is only good at getting salary.

Time for pakistan to leave cricket and rather concentrate more on football.

cricket is very boring.

I want Pakistan football team in fifa world cup :P

I do agree that we should invest more in football. Cricket is already so deeply ingrained in Pakistan that talent recruitment isnt a priority as much.

Put a team of talented Pakistanis - including Baloch Makkranis these guys and it would have been 6-0 -- Pakistan.

Either way -- i'm glad that Pakistan took the step to help Afghanistan show itself as a place where foreign teams could play in "friendlys" -- and that too despite the fact that there was violence and instability before the game started, as well as danger to our players.

I want Pakistan football team in fifa world cup :P

Inshallah one day. No reason why we can't.

Go afganistan.....
afghanistan-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif

@farhan_9909 @Abu Zolfiqar - Did you guys get to watch the match ? :what:

I did & believe me our team played worse than most University teams here in Lahore !

I kid you not the players were of a caliber who made me want to pluck out my eyes !

They'd kick the ball & they ball instead of going forward would go diagonally ! :hitwall:

They'd stop the ball on their chest & it'll bounce of them as if they're playing Volleyball ! :pissed:

And they defenders were so bad that numerous times the Goalie (our Goalie) was alone ! :disagree:

Pataaa nahin Pakistan ki team thiii ya kisssi galiii mohaleiii kiiii ? :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't knew that Pakistan had a football team.

@farhan_9909 @Abu Zolfiqar - Did you guys get to watch the match ? :what:

I did & believe me our team played worse than most University teams here in Lahore !

I kid you not the players were of a caliber who made me want to pluck out my eyes !

They'd kick the ball & they ball instead of going forward would go diagonally ! :hitwall:

They'd stop the ball on their chest & it'll bounce of them as if they're playing Volleyball ! :pissed:

And they defenders were so bad that numerous times the Goalie (our Goalie) was alone ! :disagree:

Pataaa nahin Pakistan ki team thiii ya kisssi galiii mohaleiii kiiii ? :angry:

i didnt bother, because i knew the team was garbage from the gitgo ; i saw some of the highlights though

With my own eyes I have witnessed teenager/youth in Dharampura (Lahore) at the Mian Mir shrine grounds play a shyt load better than these guys. Even Habib bank and other corporate teams have lost to these kids.

I've seen Makkrani Baloch play football - i even snapped pictures and short videos of them in action, and they were proud to display their skills on the field as well as their ball control at a standstill.

it's almost as if we sent this team just to embarrass ourselves and give the afghans an easy victory.

do we have anyone here who have been to the grounds @ Mian Mir? Go there next time when the locals are balling.

Last edited by a moderator:
do we have anyone here who have been to the grounds @ Mian Mir? Go there next time when the locals are balling.

I've been there - They're good ! :)

I've also been here at the FIFA training center here in Model Town - They're very good too ! :)

Plus the clubs in Township, Model Town Extension, Johar Town & most of all Samanabad are pretty darn good too !

I swear most of them were a lot better than this team of ours !

Ok do we have a football team.

Congrats to Afghanistan.

Back
Top Bottom