Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 12-Mar-2010

Jane's Defence Weekly

Afghan president dismisses Pakistani training offer

Farhan Bokhari JDW Correspondent - Islamabad

Afghanistan's president, Hamid Karzai, has dismissed a proposal by Pakistan's army chief, General Ashfaq Kayani, to train recruits for the nascent Afghan National Army and police force, highlighting the underlying frictions between the two neighbours.

Speaking to a select group of journalists on 11 March on his first trip to Pakistan since his re-election last year, Karzai said his country continued to struggle with the legacy of its days under the former Soviet Union.

"Let me be very, very frank and clear here with you," said Karzai. "Afghanistan has an experience of training its troops with a neighbour and that neighbour was the Soviet Union and, in the memory of the Afghan people, training troops with neighbours mean subsequent trouble."

In February Gen Kayani for the first time publicly offered to train Afghan troops, signalling Pakistan's intention to become a key player in a future Afghan security regime.

Pakistani military and civilian government officials said after Gen Kayani spoke that Pakistan was keen to become involved in the establishment of a new Afghan security arrangement, in part to block any attempt by its arch-rival, India, to become more closely involved with Afghan security.

In response to Pakistan's concern over India's activities in Afghanistan, Karzai said his government will make certain that Afghan territory is not used to undermine Pakistan's interests. A senior official travelling with the Afghan delegation told Jane's that Karzai and other members of his regime saw closer Pakistani military involvement with the new Afghan security apparatus as a concern, since they believe it could facilitate the return of Islamic militants such as the Taliban.

In 1978 a communist coup in Afghanistan, which brought down the monarchy of Sardar Mohammad Daud, was widely seen to have been instigated in part by Soviet-trained Afghan army officers. The coup was followed just a year later by an invasion of Afghanistan by Soviet troops.

In the 1990s Pakistan's intelligence and military were widely seen to have created the Taliban, which subjected Afghanistan to six years of puritanical rule. The Taliban were ultimately ousted by the US-led intervention in Afghanistan that followed the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

so much for the 'twin-brother' theory!:rofl:

well i mean its not like he has any control over it, if he doesnt go our way he's screwed simple as that

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just don't get your logic. Why would he be screwed if did not go your way? Do you mind explaining?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just don't get your logic. Why would he be screwed if did not go your way? Do you mind explaining?

Simple fact no reconciliation/peace without Pakistan

As one top-level Afghan official said,
"We love India, but we fear Pakistan. That is a stronger emotion.''

well i mean its not like he has any control over it, if he doesnt go our way he's screwed simple as that

Dude, I seriously don't blame the Afghans for the lack of trust between Pak and Afghanistan. Pak has meddled in Afghan affairs since long. The 80's and the 90's were the high water mark of Pak involvement in Afghan affairs. Instead of resolving the civil war, you guys were backing one side against the other. And that too through the hardcore mullahs of Taliban. The Saudis and the Pakistan were the only two countries that recognized the Afghan Taliban govt. The same group that you created and are now working with the US to eliminate.

On top of that the attitude that many Pakistanis throw around - "Its our birth-right to remote control Afghanistan and they have no option but to depend upon us". People say India acts as the big brother in the subcontinent, the truth is Pakistan is no different. Afghanistan is a prime example of that. :coffee:

^Pakistan supported the Pashtuns because they shared a common culture with them and did not want NA to get in power.

Pakistan took part in the 1st Afghan war cuz the soviets were at our side and we did not want to be sandwitched between the soviets and the indians. And ofcourse we had our Muslim (and Pashtun) brothers to defend.

I have a feeling this Kharzoi will end up like this:

e7f009c4067d0bb1108832b5569a324f.jpg

And you also might have a feeling that Talibans will again rule the Afghanistan. I can understand why they hate you and they right in this one.

Its good for us we can have Afghanistan at our end as my enemy's enemy is my friend.:victory::blink:

Can the indians shed some light on what was their gov official stance on the Russian occupataion of Afghanista.

And you also might have a feeling that Talibans will again rule the Afghanistan. I can understand why they hate you and they right in this one.

Its good for us we can have Afghanistan at our end as my enemy's enemy is my friend.:victory::blink:

God loves a trier, but he hates a chancer.:disagree:

God loves a trier, but he hates a chancer.:disagree:

Very much correct.....

You tried to exploit them when ever you got the chance for pennies you got from US.

Today also you want a Taliban rule for them which you dont even want for yourself....

By the way till now God havent met me and told me so i dont know what he like and dislikes. and i m sure he is free from likes and dislikes. he just gives us chances and let us follow making our destinies and end results.

Back
Top Bottom