What's new

Advanced JF-17 versions coming, 10 years after service entry

block 3 is superior to f16 except for payload which is less

It depends with which F-16 Block you are comparing the latest JF-17. I would certainly assume that the latest JF-17 surpasses the earlier F-16 variants which is a big deal. I think it would be fair to say that the latest JF-17 is in many areas definitely at par with the more advanced F-16 models. For Pakistan that is a dream come true. You are right about the payload. I assume we are content with the payload because we always knew the constraints since its inception.

Last edited:
It depends on which F-16 Block you are comparing the latest JF-17. I would certainly assume that the latest JF-17 surpasses the earlier F-16 variants which is a big deal. I think it would be fair to say that the latest JF-17 is in many areas definitely at par with the more advanced F-16 models. For Pakistan that is a dream come true. You are right about the payload. I assume we are content with the payload because we always knew the constraints since its inception.
i meant block 52+ except for the payload thing and on par with 60 70/72

Without a single unit produced, that is a tall claim. Their may be aspects of the block 3 which may be equal, some may even be superior, but there are likely others such as the EW capabilities of the Blk 52+ which the JF-17 block 3 may not be able to equal. Remember the Block 52+s carry very advanced American EW and ECM/ECCM systems which was the main reason the US wanted to keep these away from China. These include:

1. ALQ-211 AIDEW (advanced integrated defensive electronic warfare system)

2. AN/ALQ-184 ECM Pod (The ALQ-184 is a self-protect electronic countermeasures (ECM) electronic warfare (EW) pod used on U.S. Air Force tactical aircraft. Its computer-controlled multibeam receivers and mini-TWT amplifiers operate in both receive and transmit modes to selectively direct high power jamming against multiple emitters. The system provides instantaneous RF signal processing that is wide open in angle and frequency. Features such as a high sensitivity multibeam receiver, continuous wave, pulse and pulse Doppler allow a 100 percent probability of threat detection. http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/alq184/)

IF (and that is a big IF) the JF-17 has systems that are as good as these, it will be a huge boon for PAF, but remember, the US has been doing this for a long time, the Chinese and Turks, not so much. But if you can get even 80% equivalence through chinese/turkish/Itallian systems (including EAD DRFM) along with the AESA radar, that may put you fairly close in EW capabilities of block 52+. Combined with the detection power and jamming resistance of the AESA and if you get the EOTS from J-20/J-31, you may very well have a fighter that is electronically on par with Block 60, Gripen E/F/NG, or Rafale.

For example the Rafale's Optronique secteur frontal (OSF) is said to have aircraft detection ranges of 100km. The reported (by China) range for the EORD-31 for B-2 is 150km and 110km for F-22 (again, thats Chinese sources so not sure how accurate that truly is). Now if the KLJ-7A's reported 170km frontal detection range is accurate, then it is probably roughly equal to the RBE2-AA which is thought to be ~180-190km. However that is a tall claim given the likely sized difference between RBE2-AA and KLJ-7A. I would bet the KLJ-7A is more in the 130-150km range which is still quite impressive and is superior to the F-16 block 60's AN/APG-80 (130km) which would also find its way to the F-16IN.

However, it is too early to say that the JF-17 Block 3 will definitively be superior to the Block 52+. It depends on too many variables. It has the potential to be ELECTRONICALLY superior and may be equal on the EW front (maybe better when in the whole package). Hell, with the right configuration it could electronically be as good as the F-16IN, Gripen E/F/NG, and Rafale. BUT, that depends on the selection of the final electronics suite.

Add to this the fact that it desperately needs a more powerful engine (WS-13E with its 20,000lbs of thrust is ideal), and if you lighten the weight with composites (which also helps lower RCS) and exchange the hybrid controls for Full FBW as @Bilal Khan (Quwa) stated, and add 2 hardpoints, then you are in business.

Last edited:

Yep. That is a fair assumption. Although the Block 60, 70 etc. are very capable fighters and the latest JF-17 Block might surpass them in certain areas, remain equal in others and might come short in some. That is nothing short of a tremendous achievement. Exactly what Pakistan has been yearning for a long time.

Last edited:
block 3 is superior to f16 except for payload which is less

You are comparing 1970s F-16 with new JF-17. So in essence JF-17 is also 1970-80 tech ? That was even before I was born ! Pakistan must concentrate on manufactuting J-31 with a license in Pakistan

You are comparing 1970s F-16 with new JF-17. So in essence JF-17 is also 1970-80 tech ? That was even before I was born ! Pakistan must concentrate on manufactuting J-31 with a license in Pakistan
Bruh, the J-31 isn't even finished.

I got this pic from jf17 thread.
Seniors/ well informed members are requested to shed some light on it.
Is it real or just some one in love :smitten: with block III(like me:woot:) has used his imagonation for a possible/desired desighn.as we can see number of hard points increased and specially two under intakes.
(2).jpg

w
I got this pic from jf17 thread.
Seniors/ well informed members are requested to shed some light on it.
Is it real or just some one in love :smitten: with block III(like me:woot:) has used his imagonation for a possible/desired desighn.as we can see number of hard points increased and specially two under intakes.
View attachment 377050
what do u mean by 2 under intakes

Chinese-Pakistani JF-17 Thunder Fighter Will Fly In 2017

Advanced JF-17 versions coming, 10 years after service entry

Alan Warnes | Aviation Week & Space Technology
Feb 13, 2017

With the first export orders signed and new capabilities being introduced at a rapid pace, 2017 looks set to be an important year for the JF-17 Thunder developed by China and Pakistan.

The first flight of a two-seat version—JF-17B—is planned for the first quarter, Pakistan will stand up its fifth squadron flying the aircraft, and contracts are due to be signed for the most advanced variant, the Block 3, complete with active, electronically scanned array (AESA) radar.

The new fighter is critical to the Pakistani air force’s growth plan. Besides introducing new capabilities, it helps avoid Western sanctions that have previously blighted its operations. The development of a two-seat version is seen as key to adding capabilities and generating export orders. Assembly of the first twin-stick aircraft is underway at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) in Kamra. Three are being built, one for China’s Avic and two for Pakistan’s air force. Having a two-seater in the testing and development program will speed up the integration of weaponry, according to Chinese partner Catic. The first JF-17B is expected in Pakistan by mid-2017.

“Pakistan’s air force has never needed dual seaters to train its fighter pilots. We took delivery of the Shenyang F6, Chengdu F-7P/PG, Hongdu A-5C and the JF-17 without a trainer version,” says Air Marshal Arshad Malik, the chairman of PAC. “But we appreciate the Thunder’s technologies will be new to many of our markets [in Africa, the Middle East and Asia] so we opted to develop a dual-seater with our Chinese friends,” he adds.

With contracts for 50 Block 1 and 50 Block 2s signed and deliveries of all but the last 14 Block 2s, attention is now switching to a contract for 50 Block 3 models. However, it is looking increasingly as if production of these aircraft will not start until 2019, and as a result PAC will manufacture 12 additional Block 2s in 2018, to ensure production does not halt.

A decision on a new AESA radar for the Block 3s will be made this May. There are several contenders, including at least two Chinese options. One is the upgraded China Electronics Technology Group Corp. KLJ-7A, while Leonardo (formerly Selex ES) is also offering a system.

Another improvement is an aerial refueling capability. Trials and qualifications of a new production aircraft built with a Chinese inflight refueling probe are also reportedly underway.

Block 3 enhancements will also include new avionics, better electronic warfare systems, increased payload and more sophisticated weaponry. PAC officials describe it as the ultimate JF-17—and with an AESA radar, it will have the capability to employ longer-range weapons and track multiple aircraft. If the requirement is there, Block 1/2s will be upgraded to the Block 3 standard later.

The Russian-made Klimov RD-93 engine, which has flown over 30,000 hr. with Pakistani air force JF-17s, will likely to be replaced by a Chinese option. But this will take time and will come as an upgrade.

PAC is currently producing 16 aircraft a year for the air force; the 16th fighter aircraft for the service was handed over on Dec. 31. A similar number will be delivered this year to cover the last batch of Block 2 jets. “We can increase our output even further to cope with future exports,” Malik adds. Nigeria has already confirmed an order for three JF-17s, but no further details are known.

Pakistan’s air arm is operating the JF-17 with four squadrons at four bases, with a fifth due to form shortly. Its aircraft have been qualified for the anti-shipping role, equipped with the C-802AK missile and air defense duties with the SD-10A beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile (AAM) and the PL-5E short-range AAM.

Several air-to-surface weapons have also been integrated, including the CM-400 stand-off supersonic missile and the CM-102 lightweight anti-radiation missile. Work with the 500-lb. GB-1 laser guided bomb and the YINGS III targeting pod, on display at the Zhuhai Air Show last November, is underway. Pakistan’s air force is exploring further options as it looks to continuously boost its operational readiness.

Chinese-Pakistani JF-17 Thunder Fighter Will Fly In 2017 | Aviation Week & Space Technology

@HRK @Path-Finder @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Oscar @Windjammer @Horus @TheDarkKnight @PAR 5 @Ulla @django

Last edited:
The JF-17 is good achievement for Pakistan but strategically it is 20 years too late. JF-17 would have been a great fighter in the 1990s. I think Pakistan should concentrate on license manufacture of J-31 and future TFX fighters in next decade.
Let them roll out of the production line first
License manufacturing, why will they allow you to do license manufacturing until unless you have joint manufacturing rights or joint projects

Please be very careful on copyright issues
Did you take permission from av week prior to reproducing the whole article here?
Some publishers are stricter than others

Back
Top Bottom