What's new

A scene never to be repeated again: a sky filled with black stealth fighter jets

xhw1986

Reaction score
Country
Norway
F117+fill+the+sky+A+scene+never+to+be+repeated+again++a+sky+filled+with+black+stealth+fighter+jets+F-117-25.jpg

The Lockheed F-117A, world’s first operational stealth aircraft and one of the most secret planes ever developed, only flew after darkness until its existence was publicly acknowledged in 1988.

Then, the veil of secrecy on the “Nighthawk” was gradually lifted and the stealth fighter jet (actually, an attack plane) regularly flew in daylight and later began taking part to airshows.

Although it’s not clear who took it (it must be an Air Force image) and where it was taken, the photo in this post is quite impressive: 59 production aircraft (one of those was lost to the Serbian Air Defense during “Operation Allied Force“) served with the U.S. Air Force until the type was retired in 2008 and slightly about half of them can be seen flying together in the image.

F117+fill+the+sky+A+scene+never+to+be+repeated+again++a+sky+filled+with+black+stealth+fighter+jets.jpg

On Oct. 27, 2006, twenty-five Lockheed F-117A stealth jets flew over Heritage Park at Holloman Air Force Base during the Silver Stealth event for the F-117′s 25th anniversary.

59 production “Nighthawk” aircraft (one of those was lost to the Serbian Air Defense during “Operation Allied Force“) served with the U.S. Air Force until the type was retired in 2008: about half of them can be seen flying together in the image taken by Denny Lombard and released by LM’s Code One magazine.

The F-117 Nighthawk was retired in 2008.

U.S.A will remain a decade ahead from other big powers, other world only follows it. Power of U.S.A >= Rest of whole world

I think one of these flew over my home recently. Or some sort of bomber it was really loud and very quick but larger than a fighter jet.

dont tell me , you have something for long which the world dsnt know. :-)
The F-22 and B-2 were already in development while the F-117 was in active duty. Now we have the F-35. And what have in the back rooms are open to speculations. But I will tell you this: The US effectively defeated 'stealth' a few years ago. It matters not to me if you believe me or not. But essentially, the J-20 and the PAK-FA are DOA.

The F-22 and B-2 were already in development while the F-117 was in active duty. Now we have the F-35. And what have in the back rooms are open to speculations. But I will tell you this: The US effectively defeated 'stealth' a few years ago. It matters not to me if you believe me or not. But essentially, the J-20 and the PAK-FA are DOA.

That's just unfair :(

This jet was way ahead of its time and going by its looks alone, beats F-22 hands down. Wonder if this would have been the plane rolling out of production lines instead of the F-35, with today's technology and that shape.......:smitten:

You sir always use the term low observable......why the sudden change?
Are you suggesting that US has something that can detect low observable objects much before than the enemy? But than again fielding the 1st ever low observable jet, it would had been a surprise if the US hadn't come up with something yet to detect such objects.
On a side note i do remember to read one of your posts in which you discredited the ( I don't remember the exact word) the technology the russians and the chinese are fielding to counter stealth, my question is how different is this from the ones chinese and the russians are employing?

Last edited:
This jet was way ahead of its time and going by its looks alone, beats F-22 hands down. Wonder if this would have been the plane rolling out of production lines instead of the F-35, with today's technology and that shape.......:smitten:
The F-117's body shaping technique -- angled faceting -- reduces the effectiveness of other items, such as maneuverability, engine, or radar. Did you know that the F-117 have no radar?

You sir always use the term low observable......why the sudden change?
I used the word 'stealth' cautiously. The phrasing 'low radar observable' is more appropriate but can be cumbersome.

Are you suggesting that US has something that can detect low observable objects much before than the enemy?
Yes.

On a side note i do remember to read one of your posts in which you discredited the ( I don't remember the exact word) the technology the russians and the chinese are fielding to counter stealth, my question is how different is this from the ones chinese and the russians are employing?
Radar detection is half hardware and half data processing. Neither is more important than the other.

The hardware could be any method, ranging from using low wavelengths to bi-static configuration. The data processing, which have its own hardware requirements, is about looking for patterns and this is where the US is ahead of Russia and China. Every body, from a chair to a car to the human body, is a complex body and individuals have unique radar signatures. The higher the operating frequency, the more detailed those signatures and this is where long wavelengths fails.

I explained the technical and tactical shortcomings of the long wavelengths method here...

Fundamentals of Stealth Design & Concepts of RCS Reduction | Page 3

The bi-static radar is the other option but it is a much more cumbersome method.

That leave the currently popular operating X band region as where the US concentrated our efforts in extracting those unique signatures, whether those complex bodies are 'stealthy' or not. Am sure that people would love to know these details but am not going to cross that line other than to say the data processing domain is where we have effectively defeated 'stealth'.

Back
Top Bottom