What's new

A question about Democracy in India

I specifically said 'unpopular govt.'- since that isn't the case right now :D
yeah someway or the other its all about popularity, not going to help though.

Is India a true democracy?
Yes we absolutely are and a proud one indeed.
Multi party system sometimes does shits, but is better than one party system in any case.

UK, Germany, Switzerland...most of the western European countries.

well.. the short answer is nope.. we are not a mature democracy..

the long answer is... we got all the institution in place that a democratic country needs. But they are not working in the way you see them work in western countries you mentioned.
Also the people themselves do not always value democracy, the parties do not follow democratic way of decision making.. rule of law is flauted...

So its work in progress

Yes we absolutely are and a proud one indeed.
Multi party system sometimes does shits, but is better than one party system in any case.

What about accountability and performance?

well.. the short answer is nope.. we are not a mature democracy..
the long answer is... we got all the institution in place that a democratic country needs. But they are not working in the way you see them work in western countries you mentioned.
So its work in progress

Mature democracy? I didn't know there's such a term.

Mature democracy? I didn't know there's such a term.

Democracy goes through a process of consolidation... the longer it is practiced ... you get better at it. Also it depends on maturity of the public, the more mature the public are, the more mature institutions are.

Western democracies have the advantage of practicing it longer, as well as having mature citizen who understand it and practice it.

Some other countries are at infancy of democracy, some institutions work some dont... the change of power is a fragile process and can end in coups... or a strongman electing and getting too powerful.

Your country have neither of both.
We have auditing institution like CAG, A powerful and Strict Election Commission, A powerfull Supreme Court, an independent and influential Media and multi party means the opposition is always there.

Your country have neither of both.
We have auditing institution like CAG, A powerful and Strict Election Commission, A powerfull Supreme Court, an independent and influential Media and multi party means the opposition is always there.

That's quite a long list. Yet the level of corruption is ranked among the worst in the world, freedom of press was ranked below China too.

Democracy goes through a process of consolidation... the longer it is practiced ... you get better at it. Also it depends on maturity of the public, the more mature the public are, the more mature institutions are.

Western democracies have the advantage of practicing it longer, as well as having mature citizen who understand it and practice it.

Some other countries are at infancy of democracy, some institutions work some dont... the change of power is a fragile process and can end in coups... or a strongman electing and getting too powerful.

Too many cooks spoilt the soup, should India adopt a two-party system instead of a multi-party democracy?

Too many cooks spoilt the soup, should India adopt a two party system instead of multi party democracy?

there has been lot of debate about structure of our democracy... should it be like US (direct elected president?) .. should it be two party system only ...

I prefer multi party system.. I like choice, dont like when I have two choose between two options neither of which I like.
Also allowing people to create pressure group to force govt to act in particular way is important for me.. hence the right to form your own political party.

That's quite a long list. Yet the level of corruption is ranked among the worst in the world, freedom of press was ranked below China too.

We fully understand your replies. we know that the internet is heavily censored in China and even posts by users are closely monitored and if they are found to be fomenting trouble, the users can be thrown into labor camps.

also know that even a site like youtube is not spared and that too is heavily censored in China. We also know the 50 CENT ARMY and what all mind games they are taught starting from one liners and how to chat amongst themselves maligning other cultures while never talking anything about the culture of China's allies.

but the sad fact is that very few people understand how well pro-government internet trollers are paid in China. these are the pampered lot but democracy is coming. Who knows it may lead to Cultural Revolution Part II.

We fully understand your replies. we know that the internet is heavily censored in China and even posts by users are closely monitored and if they are found to be fomenting trouble, the users can be thrown into labor camps.

also know that even a site like youtube is not spared and that too is heavily censored in China. We also know the 50 CENT ARMY and what all mind games they are taught starting from one liners and how to chat amongst themselves maligning other cultures while never talking anything about the culture of China's allies.

but the sad fact is that very few people understand how well pro-government internet trollers are paid in China. these are the pampered lot but democracy is coming. Who knows it may lead to Cultural Revolution Part II.

CCP can't be controlling the western press, can it? They ranked China higher than India in terms of freedom of press.
Or did CCP pay them 50 cents?

there has been lot of debate about structure of our democracy... should it be like US (direct elected president?) .. should it be two party system only ...

I prefer multi party system.. I like choice, dont like when I have two choose between two options neither of which I like.
Also allowing people to create pressure group to force govt to act in particular way is important for me.. hence the right to form your own political party.

It's good to have a choice, but too many choices can be problem. Don't have to be the US presidential system, the British two- party system would limit the number of cooks.

Back
Top Bottom