What's new

A Heart of Gold ?

Reaction score
Country
India
What is courage ? ......the ability to do the right thing ? to correct your mistakes ? to take responsibility ?

Hyderabad Tanishq thief seeks ‘social change’ - The Times of India

Tanishq%20case%20burglar_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0.jpg

HYDERABAD: A wannabe pilot, eager to send a message on growing social inequality in India and widespread corruption, carried out one of the biggest jewellery heists in recent times and cheerfully surrendered before flummoxed cops who were groping for clues across the country.

Nearly 48 hours after the sensational robbery at the Tanishq showroom, 23-year-old G Kiran Kumar said he stole jewellery worth Rs 6 crore from a store in the heart of Hyderabad to pay for his pilot training course and also get a corrective surgery done on his polio-stricken cousin, before the 'aam aadmi' in him had a change of heart.

"I am fed up with the way the system is functioning these days. Politicians are thieves who loot us for five years and I became a thief just for a night to show the world the growing inequality in the country," Kumar, an intermediate passout said.

"If given a chance, I can serve the society better than any politician," said Kumar, who has four brothers and a widowed mother at home to feed from the paltry money he earns as a mason. "If you are poor, no one cares about you. No one gave a damn about what I wanted to do in life," said Kumar, underscoring how in India the rich-poor divide has widened to an all-time high in urban areas, according to National Sample Survey findings.

Kumar, the prime accused, walked into a local television channel's office late on Sunday and told the receptionist that he was the one who had carried out the heist.

"My cousin Anand needs money to undergo a surgery. We tried to get help, but no one cared," he told the police later.

Ten special teams of the Hyderabad police were searching for professional offenders across the country and were at a loss for words when confronted about how the two rookies pulled off a heist in a high-security area close to the chief minister's camp office.

Kumar took the police to his house in suburban Hyderabad and showed them the booty, neatly packed in a travelling bag.

"On questioning, Kumar initially claimed that he alone committed the burglary to expose loopholes in the security apparatus and society in general. But when confronted with CCTV evidence, he confessed to the involvement of his cousin, Anand," Hyderabad police commissioner Anurag Sharma said.

During interrogation, a smiling Kumar, who hails from Guntur district, said he too, like thousands of other youth had landed in Hyderabad to pursue his dreams.

"We were desperate for money to fulfill our dreams. I tried masonry, plumbing and electric wiring work, but only got poorer with every passing day," Kumar, who broke into the store on Friday night through a 'soft spot' in the rear wall, said. According to their plan, the duo carried out a recce of Tanishq a few times and on January 22 night they began chiselling the rear wall. They finished removing most of the brick that night itself and returned home. The next day, Kumar again went to the Tanishq store and discovered that no one had noticed the drilling and returned there with Anand on January 24 night for the burglary.

After entering the shop, Anand broke shelf locks and stole 15.5 kg of gold ornaments and valuable gems worth Rs 5.98 crore. After putting the loot in a bag, they quietly walked all the way back to Rasoolpura, as they had no money to pay for an auto or cab.

To fox sniffer dogs from detecting their scent, they sprinkled chilli powder at the scene of offence, he said.

Based on his confession, police recovered 528 gold bangles, 40 bracelets, 33 necklaces, 89 pendants, 58 ear studs, 98 rings, colour stones and emeralds, all worth Rs 5.75 crore.

The police are now on the lookout for Anand, who left the city with three gold bangles. On Sunday, police had said that the security guards were from ISS agency, but later clarified that they actually belong to SIS security agency.

Based on Kumar's confession, police recovered 528 gold bangles, 40 bracelets, 33 necklaces, 89 pendants, 58 ear studs, 98 rings, colour stones and emeralds, all worth 5.75 crore

Last edited:
The other explanation is that he and his accomplice got cold feet and decided to cook up the story . any case he is off to jail.

Nobody gets cold feet with 5.75 crore worth of gold. :disagree:

Everybody begins somewhere.
Do look at things objectively . he had 6 cr worth of gold taken from tanishq showroom. how is he going to sell it? the minute he did he will draw attention to him self. hence i said he got cold feet.

Do look at things objectively . he had 6 cr worth of gold taken from tanishq showroom. how is he going to sell it? the minute he did he will draw attention to him self. hence i said he got cold feet.

If he was smart enough to steal 6 cr. worth of jewels, he sure is smart enough to sell it. Apparently he already sold some of it to pay for his school fees and his brothers operation.

He can always travel to a different city in India and sell it. There are hundreds of ways to sell gold. In any case he did the right thing and deserves a break. However I am sure the cops are going to build their career by ruining his life.

If he was smart enough to steal 6 cr. worth of jewels, he sure is smart enough to sell it. Apparently he already sold some of it to pay for his school fees and his brothers operation.

He can always travel to a different city in India and sell it. There are hundreds of ways to sell gold. In any case he did the right thing and deserves a break. However I am sure the cops are going to build their career by ruining his life.
The roads going out of hyd are sealed and checking is at a maximum it would be difficult to leave.. from what i gather it was his accomplice who took a few bangles and got away . plus if as he said he did this to highlight social evils then why let his friend take some of it away ?
no this guy stole for the purposes of stealing and when he could not get away cooked up this story.
i do agree that people who steal are forced to do so under extreme circumstances for the first time and these were such for him . but lets not think he is a saint.

The roads going out of hyd are sealed and checking is at a maximum it would be difficult to leave.. from what i gather it was his accomplice who took a few bangles and got away . plus if as he said he did this to highlight social evils then why let his friend take some of it away ?
no this guy stole for the purposes of stealing and when he could not get away cooked up this story.
i do agree that people who steal are forced to do so under extreme circumstances for the first time and these were such for him . but lets not think he is a saint.

I did not call him a saint. But a courageous lad who has what it takes to be successful in life. He has the drive and the can do attitude. I just hope some one gives him a break.

He did sell some of it to pay his fee and get this bro operated.

If the roads in hyd are sealed so tight, how did his accomplice get away ? .......you must know better than to think a naka bandi can catch new criminals. It is used to catch history sheeters. The cops were looking for an inter state gang.

I did not call him a saint. But a courageous lad who has what it takes to be successful in life. He has the drive and the can do attitude. I just hope some one gives him a break.

He did sell some of it to pay his fee and get this bro operated.

If the roads in hyd are sealed so tight, how did his accomplice get away ? .......you must know better than to think a naka bandi can catch new criminals. It is used to catch history sheeters. The cops were looking for an inter state gang.
His friend has not got away , he is yet to be caught.
as for this guy , i doubt his intentions . but then lets agree to disagree. :)

Hyderabad: After the first suspect in Tanishq showroom burglary case Kiran surrendered on TV, another suspect, G. Anand, 24, followed suit by revealing himself on another Telugu TV channel and was soon arrested by the police.

Anand, who is handicapped due to polio, said he had committed the robbery to fund his treatment, and to fulfil his ambition to become a dancer. He revealed that they had tried to sell the stolen jewellery with the help of their neighbour, Padma, but had failed.

He confessed that they feared the woman might inform the police and decided to surrender.

Police recovered the gold which Anand had kept with him. Anand, who went to the Telugu TV channel on Tuesday night after watching Kiran's surrender on TV, revealed that he was persuaded by Kiran’s meticulous planning.

However, Ashok Jewellers, to whom they went to sell the items, refused to buy the items. The duo got scared thinking that the jeweller or the woman would inform the police. Kiran decided to give himself up and asked Anand to escape with some gold ornaments,” said West Zone DCP Satyanarayana.

In another striking revelation, Anand said that they dug the wall with a screw driver and a blunt object and not with a driller.

“Kiran found the weak point of the building. After making the hole, I went inside and collected the jewellery while Kiran stayed out. By 4 am, I finished and called him on his mobile. He came back and we together walked with the bag. Later, we hired an autorickshaw and went to our room,” said Anand.

Police officials said that Anand was careful enough to not leave behind any clue. “As per Kiran’s advice, besides wearing gloves and plastic bags on his legs, he put gel on his head too so that hair did not fall on the floor,” said the DCP.

Police officials said that the security guards were fast asleep when the burglary occurred. Anand informed his parents that he committed the burglary before surrendering.

After pulling off the heist successfully both found it difficult to dispose of the loot.

"It was very difficult for them to dispose the property. So they realised that it was better to surrender before getting caught," said the DCP.

Anand, who is a native of Eepur of Guntur, also informed his parents that he committed the burglary before surrendering.

Tanishq case: Second suspect gives up | Deccan Chronicle

As i have been saying form the beginning , there guy got cold feet and realized they could not sell the gold , hence cooked up this stupid story.

As i have been saying form the beginning , there guy got cold feet and realized they could not sell the gold , hence cooked up this stupid story.

What stupid story ? With gold worth 6 crores he could have escaped to a different city and lived a comfortable life.

He wanted to lead a honest life, that is why he got scared.

What it shows is that the desire to be good was far greater than his greed for a good life. Sure he got cold feet, but what matters is what he did after he got cold feet.

There are those who would have considered killing the neighbour padma and the gold smith to remove any evidence. ..... ......... it the choices we make that define us.

The fact remains that those two chose to walk away from the dark path, away from the temptation. I am not sure how many of others will do the same. Especially if you have 6 crore worth gold (~ 1 million $) in your procession. People have killed for much less.

Back
Top Bottom