fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Michael HughesForeign Policy Strategist

Posted: December 28, 2010

A Game Changer for Afghanistan.

A recent Open Letter to President Obama written by a host of well-known and experienced Afghan experts, which includes a recommendation to end the escalating war in Afghanistan and Pakistan through a power-sharing arrangement with the Taliban, presents itself as a realistic new alternative.

This "call to reason" comes from individuals purportedly well-equipped to recommend a workable solution that fits the needs of the United States, its Western allies and, of course, the affected populations of both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Afghanistan and the Taliban what passes for reason has already been revealed as a series of loaded arguments based on false assumptions which repeat exactly the same mantras that produced Afghanistan's Taliban tragedy to begin with. And this letter is no exception.

During the Clinton administration the pressure came to recognize a Taliban regime that had seized control through the direct efforts of America's ally Pakistan. Posing as an indigenous force the Taliban fooled the war-weary Afghans into laying down their arms but upon assuming control acted as vicious occupiers while engaging in brutality towards women and the ethnic cleaning of Afghanistan's non-Pashtun minorities. Now we are told again that the "Taliban today are now a national movement."

Yet today's Taliban are no more a national movement chosen by the Afghan people than they were in the 1990s. The only difference to today's Taliban is in their level of military sophistication and their ability to control the false narrative of their creation to their advantage. Today's new Taliban narrative amounts to a formula for state collapse. So why is this distinguished group of experts willing to accept it?

One cannot rightly blame this group for its effort at reconciliation with the Taliban when no other viable options are known to be available. However, the clear defect in the open letter and all other medicaments bandied about to date is the lack of genuine indigenous feedback. And this is exactly what we at the New World Strategies Coalition (NWSC) firmly believe, because there is only one solution for peace in Afghanistan - and that is an Afghan solution.

Fixing the problem does not lie in a presupposed remedy but in the process itself - one constructed from scratch that will place the totality of the future design of the Afghan state into the hands of the Afghan people.

It's time to abandon the standard approach of purely focusing on U.S. and NATO collective security interests at the expense of Afghanistan's national interests. And the NWSC rejects the notion that we have to work with Afghanistan as it is and not how it can be.

Contrary to the conventional wisdom espoused in the open letter being pushed by the likes of Alex Strick van Linschoten, co-editor of My Life With the Taliban, Afghans do not have to choose between the lesser of two evils - Karzai or the Taliban - because there is another path to peace and national reconciliation.

The current situation is so intractable that to fix it requires more than simply "thinking outside the box" - it requires throwing the entire box away, as Afghans symbolically tell friend and foe alike a new age is dawning. Afghanistan in its current state is unrecognizable to most Afghans anyway; hence a major paradigm shift is in order.

We propose restoring indigenous tribal institutions and resuscitating national solidarity by holding a series of three "All-Afghan Jirgas" to select a new national government and leadership - the first two of which will be conducted in neutral foreign countries outside of the destabilizing and corruptive war zone, with the finale held back home in Afghanistan to announce the results of a legitimate national self-determination movement that will express the true will of the Afghan people.

The NWSC has developed a game-changing process and a tool, outlined in a white paper entitled Afghanistan National Reconciliation, which will revive Afghan nationalism and empower Afghanistan's "silent majority", so they can, finally, choose their own destiny.

Michael Hughes writes similar articles as the Afghanistan Headlines Examiner and the Geopolitics Examiner for Examiner.com.

Follow Michael Hughes on Twitter: Michael Hughes (mhughes3500) on Twitter

Majority of the Afghans are Pushtoons and the current setup and foreign powers negate this reality by exploiting other minorities(which include the drug lords and there loyals) to do there biding.That strategy is bound to fail.
Solving Afghanistan will be a huge task and would require all stake holders to negotiate and give up there proxies and stop fueling violence but is that possible ??

No doubt the Afghanistan of today is very different from that of decades past -- but be careful, some seek to hide a lie like a drop in a ocean of truth - consider:

We propose restoring indigenous tribal institutions and resuscitating national solidarity by holding a series of three "All-Afghan Jirgas" to select a new national government and leadership - the first two of which will be conducted in neutral foreign countries outside of the destabilizing and corruptive war zone, with the finale held back home in Afghanistan to announce the results of a legitimate national self-determination movement that will express the true will of the Afghan people

Is that the future the Afghans have shed blood for, to be once again under the thumbs of tribal leaders?? to be differentiated by tribes? by ethnicity and not character, not values, not ideas? shame, shame!

And after so much blood shed, so many sacrifices for a chance to have a say in their own governance, they are to give it away not in a universal franchise vote, but idiot jirgas in which the powerful and their interests are represented -- and then his "game changer" will be "announced" as the will of the people - shame! shame! Mr. Hughes has made himself a candidate for my size 12 boot up his sorry behind.

Majority of the Afghans are Pushtoons and the current setup and foreign powers negate this reality by exploiting other minorities(which include the drug lords and there loyals) to do there biding.That strategy is bound to fail.
Solving Afghanistan will be a huge task and would require all stake holders to negotiate and give up there proxies and stop fueling violence but is that possible ??

They are not majority, and even if they are majority they dont have the right to hijack Afghanistan. Afghanistan is for everyone, not just for pashtoons as our pakistani bros suggest most of the time, before you say something out of emotion, please think what the real consequences be for pakistan in the long run. As i have said before, Afghanistan wont be a country unless everybody's and every ethnicity's rights is respected and protected in real terms in Afghanistan, otherwise nothing and nothing will come out. One or another group might take control of the country temporarily, but a few years or decades later the volcano will erupt again, america might go back, but pakistan will stay right there. The frustration built up on the minds and bodies of non pashtoons over their mistreatment/discrimination/stealing land etc by the pashtoon elite which gave superiority to pashtoons have gaven it such a blow that nobody is able to distinguish thhis fire, as a result the pasthons are also burning in this fire. If we in our country and you as a neighbour want to have a peace in your next door, please think for the long term instead of securing something in the short term which will have greater negative effe4ct in the long term.

No doubt the Afghanistan of today is very different from that of decades past -- but be careful, some seek to hide a lie like a drop in a ocean of truth - consider:

Is that the future the Afghans have shed blood for, to be once again under the thumbs of tribal leaders?? to be differentiated by tribes? by ethnicity and not character, not values, not ideas? shame, shame!

And after so much blood shed, so many sacrifices for a chance to have a say in their own governance, they are to give it away not in a universal franchise vote, but idiot jirgas in which the powerful and their interests are represented -- and then his "game changer" will be "announced" as the will of the people - shame! shame! Mr. Hughes has made himself a candidate for my size 12 boot up his sorry behind.

Those who have lost their lives especially during the soviet and their relatives are having a really hard time to come to terms how they were betrayed by everybody and that includes the so called leaders of the mujahideen. that war was disaster, nobody predicted its consequences, otherwise people would have been wise enough not to fight. those blood were spilt for nothing.

really? see below.

Pashtun 38-46% 41%
Tajik 37-39% 37%
Hazara 6-13% 9%
Uzbek 5-7% 9%
Aimak 0-0% 0%
Turkmen 1-2% 2%
Baloch 1-3% 1%
Others (Nuristani, Arab, etc.) 0-4% 1%
No opinion 0-2% 0%

Poor counting my friend... Tajik + Hazara + Uzbek + Aimak + Turkman + Baloch + the rest = ~60%..... so the majority are non-Pashtuns... so to keep repeating that majority of Afghanistan is Pashtun is my friend a lie... this lie which is used to try to boss around all the other tribes... all those tribes have united and are bigger than Pashtuns... because I guess they got sick of Pashtuns pushing them around while being only 40% of population..

when we talk about majority we talk about single majority not the rest of whole. and sorry you forget to count few more dozen other ethnic groups, that will raise your majority a little more.

Poor counting my friend... Tajik + Hazara + Uzbek + Aimak + Turkman + Baloch + the rest = ~60%..... so the majority are non-Pashtuns... so to keep repeating that majority of Afghanistan is Pashtun is my friend a lie... this lie which is used to try to boss around all the other tribes... all those tribes have united and are bigger than Pashtuns... because I guess they got sick of Pashtuns pushing them around while being only 40% of population..

You have excellent brain ... :cheesy:

when we talk about majority we talk about single majority not the rest of whole. and sorry you forget to count few more dozen other ethnic groups, that will raise your majority a little more.

I did say.. "the rest"... ;)

and I know its so much easier to only see points we like but you missed this I think...

all those tribes have united and are bigger than Pashtuns... because I guess they got sick of Pashtuns pushing them around while being only 40% of population..

Taliban = Pashtun movement = 40%
UIF = all non-Pashtuns movement = 60%

Taliban looses.. UIF wins.. in demographics game... simple..

Back
Top Bottom