What's new

A few questions regarding Bangladesh

Khan_21

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I have alot of bengali friends here in Malaysia. Apparently I hear things from them about Bangladesh over a cup of coffee and I tell things from Pakistan . After interacting with them for 2 years I have a few questions which i hope bangladeshi posters can answer :

1. Lack of Highways

I was shocked to hear from them that Bangladesh did not have a single highway/expressway . When i showed them pictures of expressways in Pakistan they started laughing and saying we may never have those sort of highways in years . What's the reason for lack of highways/motorways? Population density?Less land? .

2. Lack Of Foreign Brands

They told me the only western food outlets in Bangladesh are pizza hut , KFC and Gloria jeans .Was really shocked to hear there is no Mcdonalds in Bangladesh for a country of 160 million . Why such less variety of western outlets compared to India and PK which almost have every western brand available . Does your government not allow them or the brands aren't interested ?

3. Everyone Lives in Apartments

My friends tell me housing societies are not common there and that everyone lives in apartments . Do you guys have posh housing societies or just apartments? Is it due to less land ? . Whats the equal in bangladesh to lets say what he have here in Pakistan Bahria town , Defence areas ?

3. Dhaka syndrome

The ones that are from Dhaka considers other Bangladeshi's inferior to them . Is that usually prevalent ?

4. Money Problems

I was being told by them that we cant receive money by money gram or western union etc because our government has banned outgoing money . I was like What? . So these guys receive money through indirect means from Bangladesh . What's the reason for this?

5 . India/Pak obsession

Many of them have India/Pak obsession . They will curse india/PK both but yet admire numerous other qualities . And yes they also bitch and moan about how small their country is or how insignificant it is to the world compared to these two . is that true for most of the population?

How true are these of bangladesh /Bengalis in general ?

Last edited:
Khan Sahib, your question No 6 is extremely racist, i would request you to delete that part.

1. Highways

Dhaka - Mymensingh Highway

Dhaka-Chittagong 4 lane Highway (Under construction)

2. Foreign Brands

Why isn't there a McDonald's outlet in Bangladesh?
I mean there are KFC, A&W and Pizza Hut outlets here, right?
1 Answer
Piam Rodrigues
Well, McDonalds' wanted to invest in Bangladesh, but some clauses regarding food hygiene and health regulations put by them weren't welcomed by any Bangladeshi franchise companies. As McDonald's won't compromise with its rules and regulations and the Bangladeshi companies won't play by their rules, McDonalds' didnt happen in Bangladesh.

Written 12 Feb

https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-there-a-McDonalds-outlet-in-Bangladesh

True but housing societies are also available.

Pink City, Dhaka

pinkcity-dhaka-bangladesh-an-expression-of-green-living-29261740.jpg

3. Racism against other Bangladeshis

Dhaka in a mega city but Dhaka dwellers don't consider others inferior to them but there is huge racism against Barisal people. Most people of other divisions don't like to marry men / girls from Barishal because there is a stereotype against them that they are uncultured and creepy as hell. Especially Noakhali people don't like Barishal people at all and vice versa. These people don't / rarely inter-marry with each other. Like you have Punjabi, Sindhi, Balochi, Pathans etc , we have Dhakaiya, Sylheti, Noakhailla, Barishailla etc.

4. Money Problems

True. We can't send money in foreign countries using Western Union and Moneygram. Only incoming is allowed.

5 . India/Pak obsession

Bangladeshis are obsessed with India, not Pakistan because India is surrounding Bangladesh from all sides. With Pakistan it had a past but there is no geographical and cultural connection at all.

6 . Poor English skill

Bangladeshis need only Bengali to communicate in daily life. English is not medium of communication hence most Bangladeshis, even those educated ones are weak in English.

Last edited:
1. Highways

2. Foreign Brands

Why isn't there a McDonald's outlet in Bangladesh?
I mean there are KFC, A&W and Pizza Hut outlets here, right?
1 Answer
Piam Rodrigues
Well, McDonalds' wanted to invest in Bangladesh, but some clauses regarding food hygiene and health regulations put by them weren't welcomed by any Bangladeshi franchise companies. As McDonald's won't compromise with its rules and regulations and the Bangladeshi companies won't play by their rules, McDonalds' didnt happen in Bangladesh.

Written 12 Feb

https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-there-a-McDonalds-outlet-in-Bangladesh

True but housing societies are also available.

Pink City, Dhaka

pinkcity-dhaka-bangladesh-an-expression-of-green-living-29261740.jpg

3. Racism against other Bangladeshis

Dhaka in a mega city but Dhaka dwellers don't consider others inferior to them but there is huge racism against Barisal people. Most people of other divisions don't like to marry men / girls from Barishal because there is a stereotype against them that they are uncultured and creepy as hell. Especially Noakhali people don't like Barishal people at all and vice versa. These people don't / rarely inter-marry with each other. Like you have Punjabi, Sindhi, Balochi, Pathans etc , we have Dhakaiya, Sylheti, Noakhailla, Barishailla etc.

4. Money Problems

True. We can't send money in foreign countries using Western Union and Moneygram. Only incoming is allowed.

5 . India/Pak obsession

Bangladeshis are obsessed with India, not Pakistan because India is surrounding Bangladesh from all sides. With Pakistan it had a past but there is no geographical and cultural connection at all.

6 . Poor English skill

Bangladeshis need only Bengali to communicate in daily life. English is not medium of communication hence most Bangladeshis, even those educated ones are weak in English.

Thanks .

Foreign Brands

Do you guys have burger king , hardees , Johnny rockets , TGI fridays etc etc ? . 160 million is a huge market to miss by these brands .

Money

Is it because of huge money laundering in bangladesh ?

1. Lack of Highways

I was shocked to hear from them that Bangladesh did not have a single highway/expressway . When i showed them pictures of expressways in Pakistan they started laughing and saying we may never have those sort of highways in years . What's the reason for lack of highways/motorways? Population density?Less land? .

Correct. But rural roads are best int he sub continent. Politicians used to take most of the development budget to their villages to earn more votes. So no money left for the national highways.

2. Lack Of Foreign Brands

They told me the only western food outlets in Bangladesh are pizza hut , KFC and Gloria jeans .Was really shocked to hear there is no Mcdonalds in Bangladesh for a country of 160 million . Why such less variety of western outlets compared to India and PK which almost have every western brand available . Does your government not allow them or the brands aren't interested ?

Correct.. Local competition is very high. Besides foreign brands despite being high in name don't want huge upfront investment required associated with land or space acquisition.

My friends tell me housing societies are not common there and that everyone lives in apartments . Do you guys have posh housing societies or just apartments? Is it due to less land ? . Whats the equal in bangladesh to lets say what he have here in Pakistan Bahria town , Defence areas ?

Correct. Land is as costly as New York or Tokyo here.
3. Dhaka syndrome

The ones that are from Dhaka considers other Bangladeshi's inferior to them . Is that usually prevalent ?

Completely false. 95% of Dhakaites are outsiders, Most of them maintain a second home back in the villages.
4. Money Problems

I was being told by them that we cant receive money by money gram or western union etc because our government has banned outgoing money . I was like What? . So these guys receive money through indirect means from Bangladesh . What's the reason for this?

Correct. Its complex to explain. You can send as much as you want through LC. Govt wants to make sure you bring merchandise against every cent you send outside. They dont want to drain their reserve by unauthorized laundering.

5 . India/Pak obsession
Many of them have India/Pak obsession . They will curse india/PK both but yet admire numerous other qualities . And yes they also bitch and moan about how small their country is or how insignificant it is to the world compared to these two . is that true for most of the population?
How true are these of bangladesh /Bengalis in general ?

Some are, not who are busy in making money.

Last edited:
Thanks .

Foreign Brands

Do you guys have burger king , hardees , Johnny rockets , TGI fridays etc etc ? . 160 million is a huge market to miss by these brands .

Money

Is it because of huge money laundering in bangladesh ?

160 million people don't have the buying capacity to avail those brands. Real market is extremely niche for foreign brands, except Indian brands. Even Pizza Hut, KFC are not really direct franchisee. Indian franchisee control Bangladeshi outlets.

160 million people don't have the buying capacity to avail those brands. Real market is extremely niche for foreign brands, except Indian brands. Even Pizza Hut, KFC are not really direct franchisee. Indian franchisee control Bangladeshi outlets.

Local brands with similar price tags doing extremely well in Dhaka

Bangladesh lags behind in Infrastructure but as Economists say Bangladesh has converted her money into social development..For example Birth Rate Life expectancy. Today 98% Girls enroll into primary school. 96% children are vaccinated where as In India it's only 57%. 3% Bangladeshis defecate openly. Compare it with your country. Our idea of development is different.

1. Highways

Maybe he meant expressways

These are expressways in Sri Lanka

Correct. But rural roads are best int he sub continent

Hmmm.. Thats a bold statement mate.. Having been to Pakistan, India and obviously Sri Lanka.. I can vouch especially Pakistan has some really great rural highways, Sri Lanka as well it's rural road network is actually better than it's inner city roads

Understandably i haven't been to Bangladesh.. Could you post some pics ?

Maybe he meant expressways

These are expressways in Sri Lanka

Hmmm.. Thats a bold statement mate.. Having been to Pakistan, India and obviously Sri Lanka.. I can vouch especially Pakistan has some really great rural highways, Sri Lanka as well it's rural road network is actually better than it's inner city roads

Understandably i haven't been to Bangladesh.. Could you post some pics ?

Bangladesh will have elevated expressway in Dhaka-Chittagong route.

elevated-expressway.jpg

Plan to Build Dhaka-Chittagong Elevated Expressway

http://www.urbantalkies-bd.com/plan-to-build-dhaka-chittagong-elevated-expressway/

Back
Top Bottom