What's new

A divided nation | Peace or War with Taliban?

Pakistan & TTP | Peace or War ?

• Total voters

jaibi

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A Divided Nation Against A United Enemy

For the purpose of this article I would try to be as neutral as possible yet I admit that personal opinions would somehow spill over, yet, I believe something like this is the need of the hour.

Peace with the beast?

During Pakistan’s historic elections the old time heavy weight PML-N and the new force to be reckoned with the PTI along with some other center-rightest parties promised an end to militancy, an issue which featured a lower profile than it should have in the agenda of the parties. On one side was the PPP along with the ANP and MQM that wanted to engage the terrorists or so was their perception for the common voter. On the other side was the PML-N and PTI with JUI and other religious or conservative parties looking to either pull out Pakistan from perceived American trenches or lead her to a path of peace with the TTP.

Let’s for a moment forget the premise that the Pakistan Army is calling all the shots and focus on the political aspects of it. We all know that the PML-N and PTI won over the PPP and her allies in terms of the militancy question this means that Pakistanis want peace with the Talibs.

However, a key process that gets ignored in Pakistani politics is consensus development. In a nation with a high diversity it is paramount to develop consensus and it is not just centred around the parties but amongst the common folk and after nearly a decade of fighting and bleeding Pakistanis are still not convinced that this is Pakistan’s War.
In an effort to make people think what the future holds I would present the arguments on both sides and would welcome readers to please contribute their views to me and one another.

Solution of peace

The first camp that wants peace asserts that this war is essentially an American war, not Pakistan’s and had Pakistani leadership of the time been strong enough there would have been no war in the tribal region. Building on this premise they see the 50, 000 civilians dead since 2001 as victims of American imperial power rather than casualties of an enemy of Pakistan. For them we should make peace with the terrorists and focus on the real enemy, which would mean India or the internal and desperate situation we face in the country.
On paper it looks great and there are certain points to be noted here: there is a significant population in KPK that does not want the war to continue. The victory of PTI is held often as a proof of that and essentially it should be noted for everyone that the people of KPK take the brunt of the assault from both sides, the military and the militancy, and it is hard to differentiate the effects that both of them have on the common civilian life.
It is also paramount to note that this war is essentially a large scale counterinsurgency (COIN) war and thus the support of the local populace is needed otherwise this is a lost cause or would be a Pyrrhic victory. There should be no qualms of the desperate internal situation we have, economically we cannot survive without foreign monetary support and the reason for stretching Pakistan so thin, in the minds of a significant population, is the War of Terror. Peace = prosperity = better Pakistan.

The Devil’s advocate

That being said, I would ask this portion of Pakistan a couple of questions to answer for themselves and for me or at least ponder over it.

Firstly, do you know what peace will entail? What will the Taliban do? Will they take their guns and bombs home and apply for a job at Warid or Aruj TV? Or would they take some sheep and start a small scale herding business with their expertise in logistics? What do you think? Will they disband and laugh with you over a cup of kawa about the time when Molvi so and so declared an order to take army post so and so and the Taliban fighter had forgotten his AK at home and had to borrow it from a friend of a friend and still hasn’t returned it? Are you comfortable with them going around your backyard?

Secondly, do you know what these guys do? The Afghani Talibs started similar, they were rag tag and climbed to the top and what did they do then? Implement the Shariah, banned TV and music, publically beat women whose feet would show. Do you want that to happen to your daughter? A 20 something guy snapping a stick at her feet while she walks home with you and has an AK shoved in your face. Ask the people in Swat who lived under them, they were terrified of these Muslims. Do you want to live like that?

Thirdly, are you OK with 50, 000 people of your country dying, a number greater than all the number of people we lost during our three adventures with India and the people responsible going free and actually one day taking over?
That is what peace will do. These guys are already telling us how they things are going to go. You hate the army? The government? You enjoy some idiot on TV making fun of them? Well you can’t hate them, they will kill you. Are you ready for that? Are you ready to live either as a clobber or poppy farmer or mover? Will that make you a good Muslim?

The army and the government are not perfect, I agree, but on some level, at some place, they are accountable to you. The Army chief is going, the PM will go. You can read things about them in the
papers and on TV about what they do wrong, you can have some kawah and share the baldness of the PM and his brother and have a laugh. That is going away with the Talibs in charge and have no confusion about that they are coming if they have the space and opportunity to.
I agree that the development of KPK and FATA has not been at par to what it should have been but with the greatest idiot in the PM house and greatest dictator in GHQ you still have the opportunity to have development. You guys did not want the ANP you got the PTI (I cheer you for that, I tried too but we failed) and if you don’t like them you can get some other guy. However, once a Talib comes, he will stay. Do you want that?

No peace

The no peace camp states that how can we allow people who target and kill us openly and indiscriminately to go around free? We have sacrificed, all of us, some more than others, we agree. Isn’t that how we have lived since our inception? We had to fight the Indian might, the Afghani plans and justifiably the Soviet plans (which lead to our division as well though we were practically begging for it) to take over. We have had to fight to survive. How are the Talibs any different? At best they are criminals rather than militants but still they are not someone to open doors for.
This might have started as America’s war but not it is our war. Telling someone ‘not fair’ whence we get caught in pakranpakrai is not really a way to play the game. So we must fight the Talibs and any who’d want to see Pakistan divided.

The Devil’s advocate

OK, a number of questions for you guys as well.

Firstly, ask any common man, ‘PAKISTAN KA MATLAB KIA’ what’s he going to say? I’m sure you know what. So if that’s true and that’s the only reason we have Pakistan doesn’t that justify the Talibs? If we are the choosers of our own destiny then should we not move towards a more tolerant society? If LGS makes a syllabus ‘comparative religion’ and we go crazy over it how do you expect us to fight an ideological enemy when our ideological cracks allow them to thrive? Should we not be like them and be vigilant on the streets as we are on facebook? This is a war and everyone has a part to play. It’s like the Battle of Britan for us. Are you doing enough? Are you tolerant enough to ideologically fight a mental Talib? If not then how can you put the pressure on the government when you are not coming up to the mark?

Secondly, Uncle Sam’s exiting and as the perfect metaphor for US-Pak relationships has been coined by S. Nawaz and S. Cohen about us being Uncle Sam’s condom do you truly expect them to support us? Do we not need to invest in the economy and civil infrastructure? All studies on COIN strategies show that no centralised command, on which every institution that we have is made, can defeat a well grounded insurgents. Don’t we need to support, and not on facebook, the proper reforms for our education, civil service and even the military? Wouldn’t a child who’s educated at par with a child educated from LGS, Beaconhouse, BHS, NGS and so on from a government institution regardless of the location in Pakistan be the ground to stop the recruitment of TTP? Are you doing enough to see that happen?

Thirdly, yes, the military is doing what it should by saying that these cowards will not dictate how we roll into peace. I agree. That doesn’t mean that democracy is wrong in Pakistan. These Talibs are a result of strategy born out of no accountability because even at snail’s pace, democratic institutions get their will known. Take for example the US-Vietnam war, had the US opinion not changed the war would have been much more bloodier, the Vietcong lost most of the battles but won the one that mattered: the opinion of the US citizens. In the long run that is the only way for our society to survive so should we not side with the government rather than the military if it comes to who’s in charge? We elected them. We’re responsible for them. Can’t we have a massive protest in Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad, Faisalabad, Pehsawar, Quetta and so on with slogans of no peace with Talibs, we want them gone? Are we doing enough? If not then how can we expect this to work?

The stance of war needs to take into account that the TTP has thrived because of our divisions and societal fissures which they have infected and are thriving. It’s not one institution that is responsible it is everyone in one way or another. You can do your part and convince your countrymen that you stand with them, not the Talibs. That you will support them in case anything happens, you’ve their backs. Also, your government needs to have no qualms about what you want. Protest, on the streets, not facebook to let these people know who’s boss and they want. Do your part then expect something. Are you aware that your stance is harder and thus requires more input?
Show everyone your mettle as a nation this is our generation’s 65 don’t let it turn into 71.

@Alpha1 @Capt.Popeye @haviZsultan @hinduguy @Pak-one @Slav Defece @Ayush @Armstrong @Dillinger @Secur @Hyperion @Aeronaut @Mirzy @S.Y.A @S.U.R.B. @Marshmallow

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask me our whole society needs to re-indoctrinated with a more tolerant version of Islam .

I would extend it further and say that we need to re-indoctrinate ourself with more tolerance that is independent of faith. Like perhaps Israel and Turkey. We need to make every Pakistani feel safe and proud to be Pakistani.

well, a very comrehensive article that covers all the aspects..but there are a few counter arguments which guys like me have already been seeming to present,and that the ultimate solution is peace,

im not in mood to repeat the things again and again...my ultimate opinion is 'do best to establish peace,if failed,go for the FINAL SHOWDOWN..but eliminating these extremists isn't that easier...they may be pushed in FATA to go back in afghanistan...

anyhow thanks for posting!

Pakistani State is responsible for all the mess. Its simple, the state policy of stretagic depth has backfired as TTP.
Trying to make Afghanistan as its backyard, Taliban movement was supported by our establishment. To support afghan taliban against brilliant warlord ahmad shah masood, thousands of madrassa students of fazlur rehman and sami ul haq were handed over guns and sent to afghanistan. Nek mohammad, baitullah mehsud, hafiz gul bahadur, maulvi nazir all served in the afghanistan against northren alliance, they were sponsered by pakistani establishment. When you gave up on taliban and took action against them, your assets within tribals areas took arms against you and within few years they started calling themeselves TTP.
Is'nt army the biggest terrorist in the region? They turned kashmir into warzone by sending punjab-based militants there, many of whom are now part of TTP. ISI also played big role in turning tribal areas and kpk into madrassa-istan. These madrassas served as recruiting centres for afghan jihand and taliban movement for aims and stretagies of ISI.
Its ISI/army which needs to be fixed and control.

I would extend it further and say that we need to re-indoctrinate ourself with more tolerance that is independent of faith. Like perhaps Israel and Turkey. We need to make every Pakistani feel safe and proud to be Pakistani.
are you hinting Secularism? :)

well, a very comrehensive article that covers all the aspects..but there are a few counter arguments which guys like me have already been seeming to present,and that the ultimate solution is peace,

im not in mood to repeat the things again and again...my ultimate opinion is 'do best to establish peace,if failed,go for the FINAL SHOWDOWN..but eliminating these extremists isn't that easier...they may be pushed in FATA to go back in afghanistan...

anyhow thanks for posting!

I do not confess to know what is the best course. In my view the consensus and unity of our people is more important and if we go for peace (something I don't agree with, I think we should strengthen our civilian forces and take them down with that, especially their economic infrastructure based on criminal enterprise which is bad for our country). I don't think we should allow them to use our country. For me we should change tactics, take the battle on a more civilian front with crackdowns and proper armament with the military ready to train and support where we need them.

I don't believe we should think of them as being good for us in any way we need to defeat them not compromise with them. In my view it would come through a civilian response. Allowing them to prosper will come to bite us.

are you hinting Secularism? :)

:) I'm not hinting it I'm proposing it. What we want theoretically comes from the Israeli model: a state for a religious ethnic group but the system will not work if its based on classical theocracy because there is no consensus there and we have this mess. That is if we want to go there. There is a heavy synthesis of secularist system in Israel as well. All we want was to be safe and free. That's the only model that offers that. Not where we have been such as the Ziast model.

Pakistani State is responsible for all the mess. Its simple, the state policy of stretagic depth has backfired as TTP.
Trying to make Afghanistan as its backyard, Taliban movement was supported by our establishment. To support afghan taliban against brilliant warlord ahmad shah masood, thousands of madrassa students of fazlur rehman and sami ul haq were handed over guns and sent to afghanistan. Nek mohammad, baitullah mehsud, hafiz gul bahadur, maulvi nazir all served in the afghanistan against northren alliance, they were sponsered by pakistani establishment. When you gave up on taliban and took action against them, your assets within tribals areas took arms against you and within few years they started calling themeselves TTP.
Is'nt army the biggest terrorist in the region? They turned kashmir into warzone by sending punjab-based militants there, many of whom are now part of TTP. ISI also played big role in turning tribal areas and kpk into madrassa-istan. These madrassas served as recruiting centres for afghan jihand and taliban movement for aims and stretagies of ISI.
Its ISI/army which needs to be fixed and control.

That is a very valid point. We need to be clear about who is in control these military strategies have not worked well and for the long run we need to be clear about it. I agree that we must also focus inwards as well as outwards. We, as a system, allow the TTP to thrive and to eradicate them we must improve ourselves.

@jaibi - if you wrote this than i hate you - as I was working on something similar, however mine is about division in Civil leadership & confuion IK is suffering from. You beat me to it buddy...
I havn't read the piece but will surely do later tonight when get home

I do not confess to know what is the best course. In my view the consensus and unity of our people is more important and if we go for peace (something I don't agree with, I think we should strengthen our civilian forces and take them down with that, especially their economic infrastructure based on criminal enterprise which is bad for our country). I don't think we should allow them to use our country. For me we should change tactics, take the battle on a more civilian front with crackdowns and proper armament with the military ready to train and support where we need them.

I don't believe we should think of them as being good for us in any way we need to defeat them not compromise with them. In my view it would come through a civilian response. Allowing them to prosper will come to bite us.

no body wants talibans to control our country..but we must look for the reasons why they are fighting us? is it because we waged the war back in mush's regime? is it because of our alliance with US that they use to brainwash kids? or are they only the enemies that are working for foreign agencies? in this case,our military too, gets aid from US,

And to gain public support specially in tribal areas...what we must do is to minimize the collateral damage...and do our best to stop this kind of acts...
BBC News - Pakistan 'army air strike kills dozens of civilians'

there could be many 'unreported' acts like this...

secondly we must provide security from foreign intruders to our people of tribal areas which is our basic responsibility...and that is stoping drones...if an innocent gets killed...it makes ten others terrorists...

there was a fine article posted a few days back,it was a really good read about how should we treat DIFFERENT types of guys associated to TTP...

http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistans-war/278715-militancy-myths-about-dilemma-solutions.html#post4788967

@jaibi - if you wrote this than i hate you - as I was working on something similar, however mine is about division in Civil leadership & confuion IK is suffering from. You beat me to it buddy...
I havn't read the piece but will surely do later tonight when get home

Guilty as charged :(

I would be looking forward to your piece and look forward to your thoughts on this as well.

no body wants talibans to control our country..but we must look for the reasons why they are fighting us? is it because we waged the war back in mush's regime? is it because of our alliance with US that they use to brainwash kids?

And to gain public support specially in tribal areas...what we must do is to minimize the collateral damage...and do our best to stop this kind of acts...
BBC News - Pakistan 'army air strike kills dozens of civilians'

there could be many 'unreported' acts like this...

secondly we must provide security from foreign intruders to our people of tribal areas which is our basic responsibility...and that is stoping drones...if an innocent gets killed...it makes ten others terrorists...

there was a fine article posted a few days back,it was a really good read about how should we treat DIFFERENT types of guys associated to TTP...

http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistans-war/278715-militancy-myths-about-dilemma-solutions.html#post4788967

Thank you for posting these links I will be reading them in detail and like I said Side I am for whatever works best but my point is to address each side and make them think about what the other side thinks so we can reach a synthesis and be united as a nation.

Back
Top Bottom