What's new

A call for Pakistani Unity

What the hell man I'm just saying Pakistanis need to portray themselves as different than us, bas end of story!! As different as possible!! , whether you guys are homogenous or not is none of my concern! I only brought that up cause you called on Indian peoples are different which should be none of your concern.
Make a solid Pakistani identity very very different from ours so that no one bats an eyelid when trying to say what is Pakistani culture and make it known and popular, make it very very different from Indian culture, currently Westerners get confused!
That's what you want, Pakistanis want, indians want!!
That IS what has happened after Pakistan was formed .
Pakistan today is different from India in dress, languages, food and culture. We have a link language Urdu that has a rough similarity to Hindi ( as of today ) in a simplistic local form . As we form our identity there may be a case for replacing Urdu with Saraiki as a link language.
This may not be necessary because India will likely Sankritize Hindi further or more likely adopt Sanskrit as a national language.
Every nation needs a linguistic identity, Our linguistic identity will be complete.

Why is that?

Mashriq Pakistan is part of history now, and that term had a specific meaning, that no longer applies.
And, the vast majority of immigrants did not come from Mashriq Pakistan, but from different regions of British India.

From how it looks, the people seem to have accepted Urdu-speaking, even among themselves. Trying to create a new term might just create more drama, that we can live without. I am just happy that the term Muhajir is being used less and less nowadays, so that's a good thing I suppose.

A term is required, because it has practical benefits, I suppose Urdu-speaking is a generalized term, so why not.

Everyone is "Urdu-speaking ". Urdu for Pakistan is a link language but like English, with a similar function not native to Pakistan. Urdu used to belong to Northern India and is a dead language in that country.
A country does need language as an identity ( Arabic for Arabic nations for example) . Snapping the linguistic connection with India as it is today is as important as snapping the political and geographical connections in 1947. This may happen of its own accord as India is likely to adopt Sanskrit as its national language.

Last edited:
Pakistan has so much going for it, the civil strife I see now is typical of countries that developed very well later on. It all depends on survival of the nation, the OP's sentiment is very nice but ground realities in Pakistan will make it a bit longer for this to materialise.

The cultural differences are there but national identity should be Pakistani only, everything else should come later - much, much later.

I see a lot of Pakistani posters idolising the Turkish way, it wasn't achieved overnight and Turkish Nationalism is miles ahead of Pakistani Nationalism, Pakistan should implement small changes in public psyche - this change will be a generational change , IK maybe the beginning but he must not be the end.

Everyone is "Urdu-speaking ". Urdu for Pakistan is a link language but like English, with a similar function not native to Pakistan. Urdu used to belong to Northern India and is a dead language in that country.
A country does need language as an identity ( Arabic for Arabic nations for example) . Snapping the linguistic connection with India as it is today is as important as snapping the political and geographical connections in 1947. This may happen of its own accord as India is likely to adopt Sanskrit as its national language.

I agree with what you said, but,
the discussion wasn't about the Urdu language, it was about what term should be used for people who settled in the Sindh province. Muhajir was used for a long time, but happily, that term is dying, and I rarely hear it these days.

In other areas of Pakistan, the immigrant groups have resolved their self-identity, it has been more tricky in Sindh because the settlers in Sindh came from more varied backgrounds. Having discarded the term muhajir, Urdu speaking/speakers are the terms mostly used these days.

We were discussing if, in fact, that is a reasonable and correct term to use, or perhaps a different term could be applied. On my side, initially, I thought a better term could be found, but after discussion and for the first time giving it proper consideration, I came to the conclusion that Urdu speaking/speakers to describe the immigrant groups in the Sindh province seems to work. So unless someone has a better idea, I think that is a good neutral term to use.

We Pakistanis have a very different look, and our look is basically Southwest Asian/Middle Eastern, like our ethnic cousins and neighbors to our North and West.

Funny story: I was walking out of the mosque when an older Arab gentleman came from behind, put his arm around my shoulder, and started giving me a fiery lecture in Arabic about politics as we walked together. He was a little confused when I explained to him in broken Arabic that I did not really speak it. I've also been mistaken as Latino/Mexican/Spanish but the most common one is Indian. Many get it right too. Pakistan, naturally, is a melting pot, a smorgasbord, if you will. Has been for millennia.

Another thing Indians don't realize is that Pakistan the country in most stereotypes is some Arab state, which obviously is just as incorrect. Interestingly, Pakistanis and Indians usually get it right about each other.

Funny story: I was walking out of the mosque when an older Arab gentleman came from behind, put his arm around my shoulder, and started giving me a fiery lecture in Arabic about politics as we walked together. He was a little confused when I explained to him in broken Arabic that I did not really speak it. I've also been mistaken as Latino/Mexican/Spanish but the most common one is Indian. Many get it right too. Pakistan, naturally, is a melting pot, a smorgasbord, if you will. Has been for millennia.

Another thing Indians don't realize is that Pakistan the country in most stereotypes is some Arab state, which obviously is just as incorrect. Interestingly, Pakistanis and Indians usually get it right about each other.

Funny, because Indians always confuse me for an Afghan, Arab, or Persian.

Alhamdulilah, I have never had the misfortune of being confused for Indian. Yuck.

Bro, you can sugar coat all you want, but if you study the Islamic system, there is no space for Nationalism to the level where a Muslim need a Visa or Passport to travel, yes Visa and Passports are modern inventions but the system which was brought/implemented by Prophet and later carried by 4 Rashidun caliphs, there is no such thing as Nationalism, Plus you are giving to much importance to Pakistan wrt Islam, yes Pakistan was created in the name of Islam but today the whole country is run on Britsh laws/regulations, it only has Islamic in the name that's pretty much it.

Iran Problem is not common sense but their Sect, which is not acceptable by the majority of Muslims ( Sunnis ) so even if they get in their sense their sectarians loyalties and affiliation will overcome that, there can not be Real Peace between Shia and Sunni, and by Real/Actual Peace I mean Geniune one not that counseling the faith for show up kind of peace, the ideological difference between them and Sunni's are very big it can not be overcome without one proven completely false.

Until you bring a concrete example on Earth, all you will be doing is dreaming. Pakistan is not perfect, I never said such, however we are headed in the correct direction.

Pakistan has accomplished things which very few countries have. We have been put through the fire and survived.

No one can doubt Pakistan as a nation anymore. Those who doubt, they will pay the most dearly, and are already doing so on the LoC, Kashmir, East Punjab, in their streets, in their homes. All of the collective azaab and la'anat of Allah swt is raining down on them.

however we are headed in the correct direction.

Pakistan has accomplished things which very few countries have. We have been put through the fire and survived.

No one can doubt Pakistan as a nation anymore. Those who doubt, they will pay the most dearly

Beautifully said,
and,
True to the point.

Until you bring a concrete example on Earth, all you will be doing is dreaming. Pakistan is not perfect, I never said such, however we are headed in the correct direction.

No one can doubt Pakistan as a nation anymore. Those who doubt, they will pay the most dearly, and are already doing so on the LoC, Kashmir, East Punjab, in their streets, in their homes. All of the collective azaab and la'anat of Allah swt is raining down on them.

The state of Madina, is a perfect example, second Allah doesn't curse people because they are against Pakistan, stop being a delusional man. Pakistan is just one country among many and the country did nothing to strengthen Islam or Implement Islam or help oppress people in times of need.

The state of Madina, is a perfect example, second Allah doesn't curse people because they are against Pakistan, stop being a delusional man. Pakistan is just one country among many and the country did nothing to strengthen Islam or Implement Islam or help oppress people in times of need.

Pakistan is the representative of Islam in the region, ofcourse any Muslim who betrays Pakistan will have to answer to Allah swt on the day of judgement.

How much do you know of Allama Muhammad Iqbal, Quaid e Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Maulana Maududui, Shabbir Ahmad Usmani, and Dr. Israr Ahmad to be able to make such claims?

Pakistan is the representative of Islam in the region

Who Appointed Pakistan, on what Authority Pakistan or you make such a big claim?

ofcourse any Muslim who betrays Pakistan will have to answer to Allah swt on the day of judgement.

Have you even study Islam? You don't have to answer about XYZ country unless your betrayal to your country cost innocent lives, Allah will ask about Namaz, How you treat your women, orphans, have you take care of parents etc. Allah will not ask if you betray Pakistan or not while the country doesn't even want to be an Islamic country, to begin with.

How much do you know of Allama Muhammad Iqbal, Quaid e Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Maulana Maududui, Shabbir Ahmad Usmani, and Dr. Israr Ahmad to be able to make such claims?

I know them all good enough to understand where you are coming from, but answer me this, who are any of those to Allah and his messenger? they are yes good people who fought/did something for Muslims but that doesn't give them any authority to make any claims in the name of Islam, Islam is a universal religion and Pakistan is one of the many countries that follow it or try to follow it or dare I say it pretend to follow it. Islam has no concepts of Presidents or Prime Ministers or Parliaments this is all British remnants to Pakistan, if anyone wants to own up to Islam in Pakistan, declare the country as an Islamic state and appoint a Caliph with a Shura, amend the laws as per Shariah/Quran and then you can make tall claims of Pakistan being the representation of Islam in the region, as a Muslims, I take this as an Insult to Islam to even say that Pakistan is the representative of Islam in the region which it's not.

Back
Top Bottom