What's new

8K videos on Youtube nicely handled by 5k iMac

war&peace

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I just stumbled upon this 8k video by MKBHD on Youtube it played rather decently on my 5k iMac which was a surprise for me since that means data rate of 33 Mb/sec and also AMD R9 M395X in iMac is able negotiate 8K res :-), the screen capture below shows 8k playback

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 00.01.51.png

If you want to test your machine, the video link is below..however one tip it won't work in Safari (1440p which is 2.5 k) web browser so you need Chrome or Firefox for 8k option in youtube. Please check and comment

@Hamartia Antidote @The SC @Doordie @Khafee

Last edited:
I just stumbled upon this 8k video by MKBHD on Youtube it played rather decently on my 5k iMac which was a surprise for me since that means data rate of 33 Mb/sec and also AMD R9 M395X in iMac is able negotiate 8K res :-), the screen capture below shows 8k playback

View attachment 378283

If you want to test your machine, the video link is below..however one tip it won't work in Safari so you need Chrome or Firefox to 8k option in youtube. Please check and comment

@Hamartia Antidote @The SC @Doordie @Khafee

That's pretty impressive if you can run it smoothly at 8K...but as we know Macs don't usually let people down.

That's pretty impressive if you can run it smoothly at 8K...but as we know Macs don't usually let people down.
I was truly surprised and that is why I shared to see if it can be replicated by others..however there is a little secret in iMac 5k that in addition to R9 M395X 4GB graphics card (in my fully configured system), it has an extra video controller that pushes those extra pixels...so it will be interesting to know much role does it play in delivering 8k res. So I don't know how other 4k displays / monitors will respond to this load.

Back
Top Bottom