What's new

8,000 killed in final phase of Sri Lanka's civil war: Report

Reaction score
Country
India
COLOMBO: Nearly 8,000 people were killed in the final phase of Sri Lanka's war against Tamil Tigers in 2009, according to government figure released today.

The casualty statistics by Lanka's Census Department for the first time in a war says that 11,172 people were killed in 2009 at the height of the country's civil war, a figure in stark contrast to estimates by international rights groups.
Of these 7,934 deaths were described due to "extra- ordinary" circumstances, while 2,523 were natural deaths.

The report does not indicate the number of Tamil Tiger combatants killed during the last days of civil war.

It says that between 2005 and 2009 some 22,329 people had died in the country's north.

The military campaign against the LTTE began in mid 2006 and ended in May three years later. Some 4,156 people remain untraceable during the time of the military conflict.

The report, however, has not separated the number of civilians from the number of LTTE fighters who were killed during the military campaign.

Sri Lanka has always argued that true figures of casualties from the military conflict were much lower than the figures cited by international agencies.

A UN Secretary General panel report last April alleged some 40,000 civilians had been killed.

The former war theatre in the north has a population of under a million, according to the report.

The census department said the total population in the northern province stood at 997,754 in July last year.

It said the June/July enumeration was the first since 1981 when the province became a hotbed of violence with LTTE launching its armed campaign for separatism.

Kilinochchi and Mullaithivu districts which were the epicentres of LTTE campaign together have a population of over 170,000, while the Jaffna district population stood at 567,229, the figures released have shown.

8,000 killed in final phase of Sri Lanka's civil war: Report - The Times of India

This is a genocide by govt forces on tamilians.. They must accept responsible.... Expecting response of indian govt on this.... Even US is actively pursuing the matter better than indians... Congress is playing double games here.... And now Mahinda rajapakse is backtracking on his promise to change the constitution to provide equal right as per 13th amendment!!

Many people will slam you now.

Intha pannadainga enna thaan sonnalum nammala purinjukka maatanuga...

@ indian tiger:before i joined the forum i didnt understand about the seriousness of the tamil problem... My relatives in my native villages used to say about atrocities made by SL army on tamil refugees ... I was too young to understand that time.. but now i can... seriously, when two fishermens were killed by italy the whole of india stands by them... But when scores of tamilian n our fishermens are killed our govt is sitting silent...

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

China assures Sri Lanka support always

Chinese government will always stand by Sri Lanka even at any international forum, member of the CPC Central Committee and CPC Party Secretary, Shanxi Province, Yuan Chunqing said when he met Prime Minister D M Jayaratne and 13 Chinese delegates at the Prime Minister's Office yesterday.

Chunqing said that it is the Chinese government's policy to work hand in hand with the Sri Lankan government on issues concerning Sri Lanka's sovereignty and integrity.

He said that there is an unprecedented bond between the two countries and stressed that China will continue to support Sri Lanka's development drive.

Yuan Chunqing said that China is contributing towards a number of development projects in Sri Lanka. "The understanding in the fields of commerce and economic is very encouraging. The tourist industry is fast developing and direct flights between Sri Lanka and China will further strengthen the country's tourism industry," he said.

Prime Minister Jayaratne said that China is in the forefront among countries that assisted Sri Lanka's development programmes.

" Sri Lanka and China have been very friendly nations from time immemorial and it is being further strengthened today," the Prime Minister said.

He said under the farsighted policies of the President, all ethnic groups are living in harmony in the country and it is the expectation of everybody to see the country developing.

Sri Lanka News | Online edition of Daily News - Lakehouse Newspapers

Sri Lanka capable of solving its internal issues - Russia

Russia yesterday said that Sri Lanka's situation with regard to human rights does not in any way call for an external intervention and the Sri Lankan government is capable of solving its internal issues including human rights.

According to Russian ambassador to Sri Lanka, Vladimir P. Mikhaylov Russia strongly views that powerful nations do not have any right to dictate terms to other countries on how these countries should be governed and what kind of leaders should be in power.

He said that Russia is of the view that solving internal matters of soverign nations purely lies with the legitimate governments of particular countries and external intervention in this regard is totally unwarranted.

Speaking at a press conference to mark the 55th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Sri Lanka and Russia at the Russian Centre in Colombo, Vladimir Mikholov said that no massive scale Human Rights violation have taken place in Sri Lanka at present or even before. He said that the government has appointed a Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission of Sri Lanka to deal with the issues and the Commission has obtained evidence from hundreds of people and made their recommendations. He rejected the reports that Russia is not concerned on human rights violations. The Russian envoy said that Russia does care about human rights. "We do care about human rights, if they are violated on a massive scale", he stressed.

The Ambassador said that the legitimate government and institutions such as President, parliament who are elected by the majority of the people have every right to solve their problems and the United Nations has also ensured that right. "We always advocate that democratically elected government of Sri Lanka has a right to lead the people of Sri lanka. They know better how to deal with domestic problems and nobody should dictate terms to them" he added.

Sri Lanka News | Ministry of Defence - Sri Lanka

i have been expecting u lankan ranger.....
First u said less people were killed, now ur own govt have said have said 8000k were killed OFFICIALLY?
When u are posting anti- india post, i can do the same... I am a indian and a tamilian after alll...

@ indian tiger:before i joined the forum i didnt understand about the seriousness of the tamil problem... My relatives in my native villages used to say about atrocities made by SL army on tamil refugees ... I was too young to understand that time.. but now i can... seriously, when two fishermens were killed by italy the whole of india stands by them... But when scores of tamilian n our fishermens are killed our govt is sitting silent...

I am a North Indian but I have read whole history of Sri Lanka and it was mistakes by Sri Lanka majority Sinhala that led their country to the verge of civil war. Like first making Sinhalese the sole official language, taking away citizenship of lots of Tamil and measures to even ban Tamil movies from India etc. It always seems whatever Sinhala do they don't care what Tamil minority in their country think about that.

But I must concede Sri Lanka took some measures like giving official status to Tamil Language and mending many mistakes done by them in past but still insufficient. Sri Lanka still need de-centalisation to do long lasting peace in their country, if they continued pressing for more unitary policies then they will suffer more in future.

In 2011

China & Pakistan back Sri Lanka at UN Human Rights Council

China and Pakistan have backed Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council as Colombo sought to prevent the Secretary General Ban Ki Moon's special panel report from being discussed at the session.

Minister Mahinda Samarasinghe who heads the government delegation at the 18th session of the UN Human Rights Council, told the state owned `Lakhanda radio on the telephone that China and Pakistan had spoken in support of Sri Lanka.

"Pakistan pledged their support on behalf of the Islamic nations numbering 54 while China was also strong in their backing. The Maldivian president also here in support of us," Samarasinghe was quoted as saying.

Sri Lanka was aiming to prevent the UN chief's special panel report, which was issued in April and accused both the government and the LTTE of war crimes, from being taken up at the council session that began today.

Colombo dismissed the panel report as pro-LTTE propaganda by the vested interests in Western countries backed by the pro-LTTE elements.

The minister said Sri Lanka outlined its progress made in the rehabilitation, reconstruction and resettlement at the end of the war with the LTTE which ended two years ago.

"In a short period of two years there is only a 7000 of the 294,000 internally displaced people left to be resettled. While we had rehabilitated a majority of 11,600 LTTE suspects we have ensured better living conditions to everyone," Samarasinghe said.

China, Pak back Lanka at UN Human Rights Council: Minister - Indian Express

Dont troll... u better reply to the thread....

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

I am a North Indian but I have read whole history of Sri Lanka and it was mistakes by Sri Lanka majority Sinhala that led their country to the verge of civil war. Like first making Sinhalese the sole official language, taking away citizenship of lots of Tamil and measures to even ban Tamil movies from India etc. It always seems whatever Sinhala do they don't care what Tamil minority in their country think about that.

But I must concede Sri Lanka took some measures like giving official status to Tamil Language and mending many mistakes done by them in past but still insufficient. Sri Lanka still need de-centalisation to do long lasting peace in their country, if they continued pressing for more unitary policies then they will suffer more in future.

Even malaysia and singapore have given official status to indians who moved there in the past 100 years... But SL refuses to give them the same rights even after 1000 years...

Chinese government will always stand by Sri Lanka even at any international forum, member of the CPC Central Committee and CPC Party Secretary, Shanxi Province, Yuan Chunqing said when he met Prime Minister D M Jayaratne and 13 Chinese delegates at the Prime Minister's Office yesterday.

Chunqing said that it is the Chinese government's policy to work hand in hand with the Sri Lankan government on issues concerning Sri Lanka's sovereignty and integrity.

He said that there is an unprecedented bond between the two countries and stressed that China will continue to support Sri Lanka's development drive.

Yuan Chunqing said that China is contributing towards a number of development projects in Sri Lanka. "The understanding in the fields of commerce and economic is very encouraging. The tourist industry is fast developing and direct flights between Sri Lanka and China will further strengthen the country's tourism industry," he said.

Prime Minister Jayaratne said that China is in the forefront among countries that assisted Sri Lanka's development programmes.

" Sri Lanka and China have been very friendly nations from time immemorial and it is being further strengthened today," the Prime Minister said.

He said under the farsighted policies of the President, all ethnic groups are living in harmony in the country and it is the expectation of everybody to see the country developing.

Don't try to scare us off or anything with China and such.....we won't.

Oooh. it's china, the country with very good humanitarian rights....:cheesy:
First resolve the human rights issue in Ur country then talk about supporting lanka in resolving the human rights violation there....U know the kerala policy - 2 eyes for an eye...

LTTE has weakened, but Has the issue been Resolved Yet???? i don't think so...

OMG! China is backing them...:lol::lol:

China backing you more than 30years. Even the very few tamils in Lanka wont afraid about china's backing and fought fiercely (for you it took 30years to finish the civil war).... But in India we are in the number of crores.. Go and show their backing somewhere else, Not to us...

Even malaysia and singapore have given official status to indians who moved there in the past 100 years... But SL refuses to give them the same rights even after 1000 years...

Yes, that was a move in 50s to increase Sinhala dominance in politics. Indian citizenship law says whoever was living in Indian territory before 1950 is Indian citizen but Sri Lanka went to truncate dominance of Tamils and that led their country towards uncertainty. And still it seems Sri Lanka never learnt from their past.

Is there any Indian Naval Base(s) in TN ? if not they better build one... It would help the timely capture of the shooters before they escape from the region and prosecute them before the law.

Is there any Indian Naval Base(s) in TN ? if not they better build one... It would help the timely capture of the shooters before they escape from the region and prosecute them before the law.

nope not a naval base is there

do you have anything good to contribute rather then putting up links :enjoy::enjoy: ?

He cant reply directly, and if he replies directly he will get
facepalm9.jpg

He had violently denied killings of civilians in the same forums before...
but unfortunately, his own govt let him down...
And now he s bringing worthless links for no reasons...

He is a journo u know.... He has got links even in mars....

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

He is a journo u know.... He has got links even in mars....

Back
Top Bottom