What's new

69 Chinese firms on Fortune 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewell333

Reaction score
A record 69 Chinese companies are listed on the Fortune Global 500 this year, with China overtaking Japan as the second largest country for Fortune 500 enterprises, trailing only the United States.

Of the Chinese companies on the list, 61 are based on the Chinese mainland, 15 more than last year and the eighth consecutive year that the figure has risen, Fortune magazine said. The remainder come from Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Three Chinese enterprises - Sinopec Group, China National Petroleum Corp and State Grid Corp of China - remained in the top 10.

Their rankings rose over last year on the magazine's list of the world's biggest companies.

Sinopec moved from seventh in 2010 to fifth this year; China National Petroleum from 10th to sixth and State Grid from eighth to seventh.

There are 133 United States companies and 68 Japanese enterprises on this year's list. The number of US firms has been declining for nine consecutive years since its record of 197 in 2002.

European companies maintained a strong presence, with 35 French companies and 34 German companies, Fortune magazine said.

Companies from India, Russia, Brazil, and other growing economies were also moving up in the rankings, it said.

The Fortune Global 500 list tracks companies' annual revenues for the previous year.

The total revenue of the 61 Chinese mainland companies on the list hit US$2.89 trillion last year, accounting for 47.8 percent of the country's gross domestic product, Fortune said. Their combined profit totaled US$176.1 billion.

The 133 US companies on the list chalked up cumulative revenue of US$7.66 trillion in 2010, making up 52.3 percent of the nation's GDP. Profit totaled US$484.4 billion.

Chinese mainland companies on the list were in 22 industries while their US counterparts were from 35 sectors, Fortune magazine said.

"Compared with US companies, Chinese enterprises cluster in such sectors as energy and metals, so there's still a long way for them to boost competitiveness on an overall basis," said Michael Wu, an analyst with the Bank of China.

"In addition, the average revenue and profit of Chinese companies on the list still lagged behind US peers."

Four Shanghai-based firms appear on this year's list - Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp, Baosteel Group, China Pacific Insurance Group and the Bank of Communications.

The top four rankings remained the same as last year. Wal-Mart Stores continued to stay on top, followed by Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobil and BP.

The combined profits of the Fortune Global 500 companies in 2010 increased 59 percent from 2009.

there is no doubt..............slow and steady wins the race.

Most of them are government owned behemoths with virtually no competition from Private sector leading to Mono or Oligopolies with vast capitalization. Nothing path breaking I say.

Most of them are government owned behemoths with virtually no competition from Private sector leading to Mono or Oligopolies with vast capitalization. Nothing path breaking I say.

Even for Govt owned ones they are doing good aren't they?

Even for Govt owned ones they are doing good aren't they?

It makes a difference. Just imagine - a small country like Italy has 7 telecom companies (TIM, Wind, 3, Vodafone, PosteMobile, Coopvoce, ERG) while China has 3 companies - all govt. owned. No wonder, they all feature in Fortune 500. Without fierce competition, I don't know if they are as good or as cheap as in other countries.

Crush the competition and divide a market of 1.3-1.4 bn into three companies...'doing good' will follow naturally.

and you have 1 billion population` and where is TATA and other IT 'giants'?

there are quite a few private chinese companies among the 61

It makes a difference. Just imagine - a small country like Italy has 7 telecom companies (TIM, Wind, 3, Vodafone, PosteMobile, Coopvoce, ERG) while China has 3 companies - all govt. owned. No wonder, they all feature in Fortune 500. Without fierce competition, I don't know if they are as good or as cheap as in other countries.

3 and vodafone is not italian, where do you get the idea of no 'fierce' competion in China? did you study the market? or you just been annoyed?

private firms like Huawai and Lenover dominates electrionic capital goods in china``China tele, china mobile and other chinese telecom companies using their products, technology and services`

I heard there is a big bank in china with lots of assets. I forgot its name. I thought that bank will be No 1 chinese company.

I heard there is a big bank in china with lots of assets. I forgot its name. I thought that bank will be No 1 chinese company.

bank of china?
construction bank of china?
commercial bank of china?

This post has nothing with India. Why u are so rude and always trolling. Even if they are not "doing good", the total revenue of the 61 Chinese mainland companies on the list are nearly 2 times of India tolal GDP. Sinopec,China National Petroleum and State Grid , each can equal the revenue of the total seven India firms on the list. If u always like compare, I would say many Chinese firms of the list have more revenue than the total industry of India.

For example,China's car sales in 2010 reach 18.2 million, more than a dozen major car companies share the 18.2 million auto market. India's car sales in 2010 is 1.87 million, how many major car companies? TaTa? maruti?,There others?

Crush the competition and divide a market of 1.3-1.4 bn into three companies...'doing good' will follow naturally.

For example,China's car sales in 2010 reach 18.2 million, more than a dozen major auto companies share the 18.2 million auto market. India's car sales in 2010 is 1.87 million, how many major auto companies? TaTa motor? maruti?,There others? Only 2-3 local player in India auto industry ,there is why Tata Motors on the list.

If the Chinese auto companies have such a concentration of Indian, there will be more China auto company on the list , Because Chinese car sales are almost ten times of India, and total production value of auto industry is almost 15 times of India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom