What's new

5th Gen Fighter Aircraft Project With Russia Delayed: Antony

Rangila

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
5th Gen Fighter Aircraft Project With Russia Delayed: Antony

The project to co-develop Fifth General Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) with Russia and the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft and Intermediate Jet Trainer programmes have been delayed, Defence Minister AK Antony told the Lok Sabha today.

Answering another query, he said due to time overruns in the Intermediate Jet Trainer programme of the HAL, the Government has decided to extend the use of the Kiran-MkI trainer aircraft till 2017-18.

"There have been delays in the indigenous development of Light Combat Aircraft (LCA-Tejas) and the FGFA," the Defence Minister said in reply to a written query.

He said the LCA has attained Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) on 20th December last year paving its way to induction into IAF.

In the FGFA project the preliminary design phase has been completed in June last year, the Minister said.

According to Defence Ministry officials, the project has been stuck due to delays in deciding over the work share and the pricing issues in the project.

On the delays in the IJT project, Antony said it is "planned to replace Kiran Mk-I. Due to repeated revisions in the time line set for the IOC of IJT, and also considering the present state of the project regarding induction of the IJT in IAF it has been decided to extend the use of Kiran Mk-I".

He said after the study of the fatigue life spectrum of Kiran Mk-I aircraft, the Regional Centre for Military Airworthiness (Aircraft) has "recommended extension of Total Technical Life of the aircraft. This will help IAF to utilize the fleet till 2017-18, though in gradually reducing numbers".

Antony said the project was delayed due to loss of prototype during which necessitated major changes like total redesign of the flight control system and increased number of design iteration for recovery and resolution.

On the Life Cycle Cost approach to determine the lowest bidders in defence procurement procedure, the Minister said, "On the suggestion of Finance Ministry, action has been initiated to include the LCC model in DPP."

" The model adopted may differ from case to case depending upon technical life of the platform, spares and maintenance requirements and other parameters," he said.

Someone Please throw out this Saintly Idiot..... What's he doing without a proper plan,,,,,,, Recently all his speeches in the house is about delaying the defense procurements

Someone Please throw out this Saintly Idiot..... What's he doing without a proper plan,,,,,,, Recently all his speeches in the house is about delaying the defense procurements

he is one of the best DM. Thankfully many deals have been concluded without any scam otherwise it would have been a big problem for the nation.

Delays are common in new defense equipment. So this is no big deal. Its not like India have never experienced delays before.

Are the Hawks not coming in that has led to the Kirans being given a life extension?
and further delays for the LCA?

Are the Hawks not coming in that has led to the Kirans being given a life extension?
No, it's the IJT Sitara not coming in that has led to Kirans being continued with. For intermediate training, not for advanced training which the hawks provide.

Hawks are advanced trainers while Kiran is Intermediate. Isn't it? May be he is talking about delays 'till now' for LCA because other than that it makes no sense as its inducted and production has started(at what rate is another question though).

Hawks are advanced trainers while Kiran is Intermediate. Isn't it? May be he is talking about delays 'till now' for LCA because other than that it makes no sense as its inducted and production has started(at what rate is another question though).
Sorry, the hawk just was at the back of my head for a reason.> I meant the PC-7

The IAF and IN between the have ordered over 100 HAWK MK.132 AJTs (the IAF will be placing orders for an additional 21 for their display team soon) as well as orders having been placed and delivers made for 75 BTTs (PC-7 MK.2) with another 150+ follow-on order likely to be placed soon. The issue is the IAF is insisting on the IJT and a 4 stage training syllabus - BTT----->IJT---->AJT---->OCU and as such the Kirans (IJTs) are waiting to be replaced by the HJT-36 that is still at least 1 year away from FOC. It could be argued there is 0 need for an IJT stage but that is neither here nor there with the IAF insisting on this syllabus for now. The Kiran life extension has nothing to do with wither the Hawk or PC-7 procurements but the HJT-36 drama.

PC-7 replaced the basic trainer, the HPT-32 Deepak.
The HJT 36 Sitara is an IJT and is supposed to replace the Kirans.
The Hawks are AJTs. They're a newer component in IAF training syllabus. Earlier, after the Kirans, the pilots would directly move on to the respective Combat aircraft trainer variants of Mig 21, Mirage 2000 etc.

Russians responsible for workshare and price issue => let's blame Antony
HAL can't deliver IJT => let's blame Antony
Antony has to report the truth to the house => let's blame Antony (damn it, why can't he lie like everyone else! :angry:)

It would be a miracle if Tejas can achieve 6 milestones and get FOC this year. Realistically, FOC for Tejas can be achieved by 2016 or 2017 with the first squadron raised by 2017 or 2018.

It would be a miracle if Tejas can achieve 6 milestones and get FOC this year. Realistically, FOC for Tejas can be achieved by 2016 or 2017 with the first squadron raised by 2017 or 2018.

FYI...Tejas is already half way through to get FOC....Your statement is nothing more then your denial Imagination...

Tejas to Begin High-altitude Trials in Leh -The New Indian Express

“Various activities for the FOC have been initiated much before the Initial Operational Clearance event in December 2013. Most of the FOC parameters that we need to achieve have reached the halfway mark,” he said. Currently the aircraft from the Tejas flight-line are being upgraded to the FOC configuration to undertake flight trials.

SuperBoy Chicha ...Kabhi to Trolling Band karo...

Back
Top Bottom