What's new

3G opens modern IT avenues in Pakistan

☪☪☪☪;957640 said:
PTCL Offers another wireless network which runs on 3.1MBPS.It's PTCL EVDO.Where as they also offer dsl 2mbps, 4mbps packages.Wateen offers 256, 512kbs and 1 mb.512KbpS=59 KB download speed.Hope you understand now.The reason behind low speed on Wimax is that wiMax uses Acess Point and acess point has limited bandwidth option.Every area has it's own AP (A single AP costs in millions) as such Wateen has no option but to cap the link otherwise the AP would be congested.They will eventually offer more speeds when they earn more revenue and setup multiple AP's in single area.

AP is not an issue remember wireless lan also uses AP but can provide upto 54 Mbps. The issue is with wireless itself.. Wireless communication is much more unrelaible than wireline thats why you need to send the same signal multiple times.And further wimax covers very large area thats why it has even less speed (in other words you can say that it is designed to be like that)

By the way guys in Sweden you can get 100mbit line for 25$ only !!!In Japan they are not introducing 1 GBIT lines and China has 100mbit lines..

AP is not an issue remember wireless lan also uses AP but can provide upto 54 Mbps. The issue is with wireless itself.. Wireless communication is much more unrelaible than wireline thats why you need to send the same signal multiple times.And further wimax covers very large area thats why it has even less speed (in other words you can say that it is designed to be like that)
yep, ping is very very bad on wimax.It is not suited for online gaming or VOIP!For that DSL Is best it has very low ping to western servers that's where the main data is and much faster with wiMax but wimax is great because the mobility option is great you can take it anywhere in your city which is why i like it.DSL Is good for home connection.Wateen has some of the best Motorola equipment (The network is backed by Motrolla but the AP still can get congested at peak times..)..

The issue with our WiMax providers is the limited bandwidth available to them. They can't churn out 10Mbps connections with economically viable packages. Our copper lines can't hold a 2Mbps connection either, a symbol of an old dilapidated infrastructure. I-ME-WE is improving our lack of available bandwidth, but we need to move some real big blocks to create a high-speed broadband infrastructure.

They should be able to in 2012-14 when the new submarine cable is put into service in with massive 3.84 terabits per second capacity.Will be able to offer 8-10 mbit.PTCL has already started to offer fiber connection only.They no longer offer cooper (Future Planning).My brother works in PTCL they did some testing on offering 6 and 8 MBPS connection but the infrastructure just was not there - There will be massive infra upgrades in 2011/12.

☪☪☪☪;957675 said:
yep, ping is very very bad on wimax.It is not suited for online gaming or VOIP!For that DSL Is best it has very low ping to western servers that's where the main data is and much faster with wiMax but wimax is great because the mobility option is great you can take it anywhere in your city which is why i like it.DSL Is good for home connection.Wateen has some of the best Motorola equipment (The network is backed by Motrolla but the AP still can get congested at peak times..)..

See wireless can never replace wireline .reliability is and will be key issue with wireless. Wireless is still like "something is better than nothing".

And as far as speed in Japan ,Chaina and sweedan is concerned , you can also get a 100 mbps line in Pakistan. But again who requires that if you are a home user even 1 mbps is more than enough. Also 100 mbps line comes with lots of string attached you can not expect them to provide unlimitade uses over these lines so they are not useful for users like us.
And dont worry your normal ADSL line(speed plan dose not matter) can provide you upto 8 Mbps in off hours so schedule your all download for that time

Yes we can get 100MB in Pakistan and India but for few Lacs not 25$.There's the difference no there is no caps.Even if there is cap it's very high like 800GB to 1 TB.I don't turn off my pc and download about 100GB per month which half of stuff i don't get time to watch and rest of it i watch by forwarding and other then that my younger brother download xbox 360 game rip's or isos.

The issue with our WiMax providers is the limited bandwidth available to them. They can't churn out 10Mbps connections with economically viable packages. Our copper lines can't hold a 2Mbps connection either, a symbol of an old dilapidated infrastructure. I-ME-WE is improving our lack of available bandwidth, but we need to move some real big blocks to create a high-speed broadband infrastructure.

No your copper lines can still hold the bandwithd upto 16 Mbps with ADSL , here in India we still use same stone age copper wires to get that speed. And also the spped that is being offered to you is between you and provider's POP so it dose not matter how much bandwith they have in backend. They usually oversubscribe the bandwith by 1:6 to 1:10 means if they have 1 Mbps avl bandwith in backend the sell 10 Mbps to end users.

☪☪☪☪;957710 said:
Yes we can get 100MB in Pakistan and India but for few Lacs not 25$.There's the difference no there is no caps.Even if there is cap it's very high like 800GB to 1 TB.I don't turn off my pc and download about 100GB per month which half of stuff i don't get time to watch and rest of it i watch by forwarding and other then that my younger brother download xbox 360 game rip's or isos.

If this is the case then we are indeed in stone age no offence

No your copper lines can still hold the bandwithd upto 16 Mbps with ADSL , here in India we still use same stone age copper wires to get that speed. And also the spped that is being offered to you is between you and provider's POP so it dose not matter how much bandwith they have in backend. They usually oversubscribe the bandwith by 1:6 to 1:10 means if they have 1 Mbps avl bandwith in backend the sell 10 Mbps to end users.

No, they are unable to hold because of the ill-planned nature of urban expansion led to a very high number of extra distribution centers and joints which lead to diminished performance in addition to the low quality of copper lines that have been laid down throughout the country. Also, the lines are poorly insulated from external factors and frequently suffer from service breakdowns.

Sparkling way Copper Lines run just fine for upto 4mbps in Pakistan.There are plenty of PTCL users running 4mb on Cooper.However anything above that you need fibre which is what PTCL is now offering with new connection no more coooper.

☪☪☪☪;957744 said:
Sparkling way Copper Lines run just fine for upto 4mbps in Pakistan.There are plenty of PTCL users running 4mb on Cooper.However anything above that you need fibre which is what PTCL is now offering with new connection no more coooper.

I know. I myself have a running 4Mbps connection back home (in addition to the FTTH connection from Nayatel). I was talking about a wide urban base rather than some newly developed areas.

The most densely populated and older areas of all major cities are still served by "cable companies" through HFC and other technologies because DSL hasn't made its inroads in the older parts.

PS: PTCL's Smart TV demands a 4Mbbps video link and you need to get an internet connection with the package as well. They do not offer it on Fiber connections and most consumer lines are unable to sustain a 5 or 6Mbps connection. What idiocracy.

hmmm ... When will south Asia see speeds that are MBps .... Hope that happens in the next 5 years. The world has moved on but the speed bottle necks in South Asia has remained.
:cheers:

1268514304_80429891_1-EVO-PTCL-USB-INTERNET-SERVIRS-pakistan-1268514304.jpg

The most densely populated and older areas of all major cities are still served by "cable companies" through HFC and other technologies because DSL hasn't made its inroads in the older parts.

yeah u r right . but there is one factor the more near u r from ur exchange the more bandwidth u can get from PTCL.
AS sum one has already mentioned coz of joints are not friendly for the DSL service.
btw in Lahore most of the areas there is optical fiber connection is available and it is very very stable set up PTCL have . if u can have one u can go up to any speed PTCL can offer.

1268514304_80429891_1-EVO-PTCL-USB-INTERNET-SERVIRS-pakistan-1268514304.jpg

Again it is about 3/8th of an MB per second. Not just that, this is the max speed and not the mean. I would assume that the speed available at your fingers will be much less than 1/10th of an MB per second. Still a long way to go.

Check the conditions of this connection in fine font.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom