What's new

302 pass out of Defence Academy, reviewed by Bangladesh Army chief

Adnan Faruqi

BANNED
Reaction score
302 pass out of Defence Academy, reviewed by Bangladesh Army chief

Pune Marching to the tunes of Auld Lang Syne, 302 cadets of the 121st course of the National Defence Academy, (NDA), Khadakwasla, passed out of the Academy on Tuesday.

In an impressive and crisp parade reviewed by General Mohammed Abdul Mubeen, Chief of Army Staff, Bangladesh Army, Academy Cadet Captain (ACC) Deepak Awasthi was awarded the President's Gold Medal. Battalion Cadet Captain (BCC) Amit Dhankad won the Silver medal while BCC Vikram Mann won the Bronze Medal. Oscar Squadron was adjudged the winner of the Chiefs of Staffs Banner.

“For me and my country Bangladesh, this is a momentous day in Bangladesh-India relations, especially between the two neighbouring Armed Forces. I avail this opportunity to pay my respect with due solemnity and recall with esteem all those officers and men of the Indian Armed Forces who made supreme sacrifices, and all those who fought alongside our freedom fighters during our glorious war of liberation of 1971,” said General Mubeen. The General's visit is relevant given that this is the 40th year since the war of liberation of Bangladesh.

“I always wanted to join the Armed Forces and what kept me motivated throughout the tough military training in the academy is the feeling that one day, I will be a senior officer,” said ACC Deepak Awasthi. Awasthi, whose father has been a retired subedar in the Corps of Signals has been topping the course throughout the past three years at the NDA. Awasthi, a cadet of the Air Force wing would be joining Air Force Academy (AFA) Dundigal on January 7.

Accompanied by his grandmother and parents, BCC Dhankad has already motivated his brother to join the forces following his footsteps. With his father serving in a Signals unit in CRPF, Dhankad said, “I always looked up to my father. In fact with my grandfather having served in the Army, there was no need of an external motivation. I am leaving the academy with lots of memories. The most prominent being of the recently concluded Torna camp wherein after long days of hard work, even small heights of mountains looked like Everest.”

Bronze medal winner BCC Vikram Mann is the first one in the family to have decided to join the forces. An Army cadet, Mann has represented India in the volleyball team at the World Cadet Games in October last year. “My days at Sainik School, Karnal motivated me to join the forces,” he said.

Among the senior serving officers present for the PoP were Lt Gen A K Singh, General Officer Commanding in Chief, Southern Command, Lt Gen Jatinder Singh, Commandant, NDA, Air Vice Marshal Ajit Bhonsle, Deputy Commandant, NDA along with senior retired officers of the Indian Armed Forces.

302 pass out of Defence Academy - Express India

Back
Top Bottom