What's new

30 crore people still live in extreme poverty in India : UN Report

Over 400 Million People Live in Poverty in India — Can Their New Leader Change That?
Discussion in 'Central & South Asia' started by cb4, May 17, 2014.

According to the previous report India has got rid of 10 plus Crore of People living in poverty!....Thats an awesome job by India....Thanks for the positive news @Zarvan
Report from various sources can be off. Do you have examples of how 100 million people were moved above the poverty line? We are interested in learning from the Indian experience.

Report from various sources can be off. Do you have examples of how 100 million people were moved above the poverty line? We are interested in learning from the Indian experience.
Which report is off...the one posted by the OP or the one I am making reference too?...Let me just give one example...Education is the key and working hard for the country ...let me emphasize...Stability within the country by working hard.

NEW DELHI:

I
"India has made a great progress on MGDs, but there is no room for complacency, because there are gaps relative to the goals and targets.

"There are enough opportunities and there is a lot of scope to catch up, and it is critical that by the end of the year when the MGD expires, we really accelerate momentum during this year so that we start the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) agenda," said Shamshad Akhtar, UN Under Secretary General and Executive Secretary UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific (ESCAP).

India has an opportunity to become a leader in sustainable development. It has achieved the poverty reduction target, but the progress is uneven, said the report.
After MGD expiry, the UN will begin its SDG programme. India has halved incidence of poverty from 1990s.

The good points. We are almost on the way to improve, that too in a very fast pace.

I think this coming decade - from 2015 to 2025- will make the maximum impact on poverty reduction we have ever achieved.

- The economy is set for high growth rates and unlike before we have a large base on which we are growing unlike before.

- There is a pre-eminent focus on infrastructure building which leads to most sustainable income enhancement.

- Thirdly States have succeeded in bringing their governmental apparatus to most places of the country. Now few areas are left untouched.

- Fourthly, because of increased literacy and awareness levels, people are more proactive in demanding services and their rights from government.

Lastly, population growth rate of India has reduced substantially from before - so every effort- that of poverty reduction or economic growth reaches gets enhanced.

Back
Top Bottom