What's new

3 new Mi-17's arrived for the AAF

Afghan-India

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
New Mi-17s Arrive for Afghan Air Force
The Afghan air force took delivery of three new-build Mi-17 helicopters at Kabul International Airport, according to a release from NATO air advisors. The three helicopters arrived disassembled on Sept. 1 in the belly of a Russian Antonov An-124 transport that brought them directly from the manufacturer. They are the first of 12 new Mi-17s that the Afghans are expected to receive in the coming months, states the Sept. 2 release. After the Afghans assemble the helicopters over the next several weeks, two of them will travel on to Kandahar Airfield, while the third remains in Kabul. "The significance of having these aircraft is each unit will have helicopters with only one variation," said Maj. Greg Douglas, deputy commander of the NATO Air Training Command-Afghanistan's J4-M organization. "This streamlines the process for maintenance, operations and training," he said. (Kabul report by SSgt. Torri Ingalsbe) :cheesy:

AAF has 112 aircrafts as of now according to wikipedia

In my opinion AAF needs at least 200 helis (40 Apache, 30 MI 35 Hind and 130 MI-17)

I addition they should 40 to 60 Su-25s and 50 to 60 Cargo planes (AN-32 like)

AAF has 112 aircrafts as of now according to wikipedia

In my opinion AAF needs at least 200 helis (40 Apache, 30 MI 35 Hind and 130 MI-17)

I addition they should 40 to 60 Su-25s and 50 to 60 Cargo planes (AN-32 like)

Those figures in Wikipedia is not updated, the AAF have 55+ Mi-17's as for now, and they will end up with 75+ in 2017.
You should keep the fact in mind that Afghanistan is a poor country, and we don't have the capabilities to operate fighters or advanced helicopters on our own.
The Mi-17's is quite enough for transportation, and our coming Super Tucanos will be able to provide the needed air support against the Taliban.
The AAF will acquire 4 C-130J cargo planes in late 2014 :yahoo:

Those figures in Wikipedia is not updated, the AAF have 55+ Mi-17's as for now, and they will end up with 75+ in 2017.
You should keep the fact in mind that Afghanistan is a poor country, and we don't have the capabilities to operate fighters or advanced helicopters on our own.
The Mi-17's is quite enough for transportation, and our coming Super Tucanos will be able to provide the needed air support against the Taliban.
The AAF will acquire 4 C-130J cargo planes in late 2014 :yahoo:

Very good

BTW US and NATO should create a fund which will enable ANA to operate the AAF having 300 Aircrafts

Great News.. :cheers: How many Gunships and Helos AAF is operating now???can you give us the figure??? @Afghan-India

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good

BTW US and NATO should create a fund which will enable ANA to operate the AAF having 300 Aircrafts

I don't think so, they are also low on money themself, it would be hard to convince their tax-payers to give more money for the AAF :undecided:

Great News.. :cheers: How many Gunships and Helos AAF is operating now???can you give us the figure??? @Afghan-India

Transport Aircrafts:
5 - An-32
20 - C-27A ( but will be scrapped)
4 - C-130J (not delivered yet but expected in 2014)
26 - Cessna 208

Trainer/light support:
20 - Super Tucano ( to be delivered in 2014/15)
6 - Cessna 182

Helis:
55+ Mi-17's
11 - Mi-35's
6 - MD 500 (54 more to come)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom