TruthSeeker

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
Second Tibetan Monk Burns Himself to Death in Protest

Ashwini Bhatia/Associated Press

By RICK GLADSTONE, August 15, 2011

A Tibetan Buddhist monk protesting Chinese policies immolated himself publicly in a Tibetan area of Sichuan Province in southwest China on Monday, an outside advocacy group reported. It was the second such act in the area in the past five months and appeared to reflect resistance to increased Chinese repression of loyalty to Tibet’s exiled spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.

The monk was heard calling, “We Tibetan people want freedom,” “Long live the Dalai Lama” and “Let the Dalai Lama return to Tibet,” after he drank gasoline, doused himself with it and set himself alight on a bridge in the center of Daofu, a town in Ganzi County in Sichuan, according to the advocacy group Free Tibet. The group is based in London, but has a network of contacts in Tibet and Tibetan-populated areas elsewhere in China.

Xinhua, China’s official news agency, reported the death of a monk in Daofu, but did not provide details.

Ganzi, known in Tibetan as Kardze, is overwhelmingly populated by ethnic Tibetans. It has been an area of chronic tensions for the Chinese authorities, most related to the country’s Han ethnic majority.

Stephanie Brigden, the director of Free Tibet, identified the monk who killed himself as Tsewang Norbu, 29. She said he was protesting what she described as the harsh treatment of Tibetans following the March 16 immolation by a monk from the Kirti monastery in Aba, or Ngaba in Tibetan, in the same region of Sichuan. She said the repression worsened further when Tibetans in Daofu and elsewhere defied a government ban on celebrating the Dalai Lama’s 76th birthday on July 6.

“We’ve basically seen an escalation in the clamping down,” she said in a telephone interview. “It is not just limited to this area.”

In a news release, Ms. Brigden said her group had “grave concerns” about what could happen in Daofu in the aftermath of the monk’s immolation, and at his monastery, Nyitso. She said that telephone and Internet access had been cut and that the group had “received reports that the army has surrounded the monastery.”

The resilient support for the Dalai Lama among China’s five million Tibetans has taken on increased significance with time. The Dalai Lama has said he may choose his own successor, deviating from the practice in which senior lamas identify each Dalai Lama’s reincarnation after his death. In response, Chinese authorities in Beijing have said they have the authority to name the next Dalai Lama. They have been seeking to promote their own handpicked successor, the Panchen Lama, second only to the Dalai Lama in the Tibetan Buddhist hierarchy.

The so-called Chinese Panchen Lama, who has spent most of his life in Beijing, went on a politically significant trip last week to a town that is home to a cherished monastery in a Tibetan-populated area of Gansu Province, where he was expected to study and meditate for weeks. Experts on Tibet said the trip appeared to have been part of the Chinese government’s attempt to give the Panchen Lama more legitimacy among monks and other Tibetans by broadening his exposure outside the capital.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/world/asia/16tibet.html

there were better ways of dieing..he could have donated his organs to the needy or medical research....
a burnt corpse wont be good for anything...

there were better ways of dieing..he could have donated his organs to the needy or medical research....
a burnt corpse wont be good for anything...

He did it for the publicity. A true martyr for his beliefs.

Sad to hear this.

It is a shame to kill oneself for political reasons, but I admire the fact that he only hurt himself and did not hurt any other innocent people to make his point.

That is an excellent point.

Sad to hear this.

It is a shame to kill oneself for political reasons, but I admire the fact that he only hurt himself and did not hurt any other innocent people to make his point.

as far as i know a living man can do better in politics than a dead man.

Sad to hear this.

Right ! He didnt blow himself up in a crowded market.

Well a dead man can incite 1000's others... Also a person takes such drastic step when he has no other mean against the atrocities.. if he had peacefully protested then also he would have been killed labelled as "Terrorist".

Probably you are right about "a living man" who was born into, or has acquired, power. But for the powerless and dispossessed, sometimes martyrdom is the only way for their voice to be heard. History records many religious martyrs. And CD's point that he didn't take other innocent life in the process is a good one. His act was more selfless because of that.

Well a dead man can incite 1000's others... Also a person takes such drastic step when he has no other mean against the atrocities.. if he had peacefully protested then also he would have been killed labelled as "Terrorist".

so by killing himself he is enticing others to get killed....or thats what i can make of it.

i dont know much about tibet...and why they want freedom.but its a landlocked country far from sea....and even if they get freedom they will still have to rely on china for pretty much everything.

so by killing himself he is enticing others to get killed....or thats what i can make of it.

It can go either way, Dude!! Kill or get Killed.. Point is such incidents have potential to help raise the level of anger of fellow sufferers.. I am not saying it will but it can..

i dont know much about tibet...and why they want freedom.but its a landlocked country far from sea....and even if they get freedom they will still have to rely on china for pretty much everything.

If you look at it from a neutral point of view you will have different thoughts.

If you look at it from a neutral point of view you will have different thoughts.

i wont have different views..
its all about politics and political leaders who care not about wider interest of people and die for complicated ideologiescwhich cant put food on peoples plates...

Back
Top Bottom