What's new

23 Amazing Facts About The Indian Railways You Never Knew

@anant_s

I watched this video and thought of sharing it here. Its the Pamban bridge- Tamil nadu.
(its an FB link might take sometime to open)
I've seen the bridge myself and during sunset it is a great sight with sea looking crimson red. About pamban bridge, it has a draw bridge to allow movement of small ships and a more recent road bridge is used by lot of people to take pics of the bridge.
Do visit the location whenever you get a chance.
survived-a-major-cyclone.jpg
pamban-bridge.jpg

The longest railway platefom in the world is Gorakhpur Railway Station some 150 kms from my native place. Does anyone have a pic to share?
My most amazing unforgettable rail journey was during my college days when I travelled with my friends from Lohardagga to Ranchi on the rooftop of a coal engine train. I witnessed a family waving at the train in the middle of nowhere and the train stopped to pick them. When we got down in Ranchi we were coated with black dust. I shared this fact with my parents after marriage but still got the same scolding that I deserved years ago.
I think there is a railway in every Indian's life.

Thanks for the pic. Could you post the pic of the longest plateform. I am not from Gorakhpur,my village is near Utraula.
DSC_0871.JPG
Kharagpur_Longest_Station.JPG

I've seen the bridge myself and during sunset it is a great sight with sea looking crimson red. About pamban bridge, it has a draw bridge to allow movement of small ships and a more recent road bridge is used by lot of people to take pics of the bridge.
View attachment 192360 View attachment 192361

View attachment 192362 View attachment 192364
Thanks for the pics. This is Kharagpur Rly stn. IT held the record for a long time until Gorakhpur which is about 1366 meters long. Its surprizing there is no video or pic of world's longest plateform on the internet.

View attachment 192360 View attachment 192361
]
Thanks for the info!
:)

Indian Railways Revenue (2013-14) >> US $23 billion (1441.6 billion)
Indian Railways Net Income (2013-14) >> US $2.5 billion ( 157.8 billion)

And that too at one of the cheapest fairs across the globe!

Back
Top Bottom