What's new

23 Amazing Facts About The Indian Railways You Never Knew

Wait what? I was being serious here.
Wherever India is better than us I agree with it upfront and don't try to ridicule minor mistakes.
Anyways since our current Railway Minister is very proactive in next 5 years we actually might end up outperforming Indian Railways. :D
Only race that Pak-India should do is development race and not arms race.
No actually Pak railway is better and ahead of India like 5 years and your avatar reminds me

“Pakistan’s space programme is now ahead of India after the formal launching of Paksat-I and this is due to the hard work of our scientists and I am sure Indians would take another 30 months to do the job,”

Gen. Musharraf

so congrats you are ahead of India in space tech and railways.

That's a very old pic from a documentary. Oft quoted. :D

With 25 kV OHE wires, there is little chance of survival if one gets within 1.5 meters distance. I've seen numerous such gory accidents on Mumbai locals where some idiots have had a habit of traveling roof top. However railways have been running a drive to create awareness and now, the train is immediately stopped if such a thing is observed and the offender (if he survives the stunt) is taken to custody with heavy fine.

Indian Railways is a marvel in it's own right. We have been making our own Locomotive engines since the 50's and that is no joke.

Large crank case Deisel engines that we built originally for our locomotives found it's way into DG sets, Marine applications, etc. The electrical engines transformed Indian Larg motor and transformer market.

National contribution of the Indian Railways and ancillary industries have been paramount to the economic and technological development of India.

About fact #11,Trivandrum (Kerala) - Hazrat Nizamuddin (Delhi) Rajdhani express stops at other places (Ernakulam,Thrissur, Madgaon etc), I've travelled in it and so am sure about it.:yes4:

The longest railway platefom in the world is Gorakhpur Railway Station some 150 kms from my native place. Does anyone have a pic to share?
My most amazing unforgettable rail journey was during my college days when I travelled with my friends from Lohardagga to Ranchi on the rooftop of a coal engine train. I witnessed a family waving at the train in the middle of nowhere and the train stopped to pick them. When we got down in Ranchi we were coated with black dust. I shared this fact with my parents after marriage but still got the same scolding that I deserved years ago.
I think there is a railway in every Indian's life.

time for some world class trains....Indian trains are outdated!

Toy train Shimla

Kalka%252520Shimla%252520Train%252520Photo.jpg

kalka-shimla-rail-snowfall.jpg

Some more facts
1. Fastest Train
url.jpg

12001/12002 New Delhi Bhopal Shatabdi express is the fastest train in India covering a distance of 700 kms in 8.5 hours. This tme will be further reduced after increasing the max speed of train between 200 km stretch of Delhi Agra to 170-180 kmph.
2. Best Accommodation Class
Till now AC First is the topmost accommodation on IR. However soon an even better Anubhuti Class will be added. These will feature luxurious seats and sleeping arrangement with LED TVs, larger headroom and leg space, comfortable sitting etc. Initially this class will be available on Shatabdi and Rajdhani trains. New Delhi Chandigarh Shatabdi will be the first train to get this class.
anubhutiluxurycoachcharges_thumb.jpg

url.jpg

3. IRCTC catering
IRCTC runs about 115 base kitchens all across India that serve food on several premier trains. While for a lot of trains, IR has outsourced the job to private contractors, IRCTC manages the service for all Shatabdi, Rajdhani and Duronto class and several express trains. It also manages several food plazas and a packaged drinking water brand Rail Neer.
irctcnoida505_031213015200.jpg
url.jpg

Gulaabjamuns anyone :partay:

4. Chittaranjan Locomotive Works

One the largest Electric locomotive manufacturer anywhere, producing around 280 machines every year. CLW was established in 1950 and started with Steam loco production. When production ceased in 1972 and it switched completely to electric locos, it had produced around 2400 steam locos. Today it produces Passenger loco class WAP 4, WAP 5 and WAP 7 along with two freight class locos WAG 7 and WAG 9.
LOCOMOTIVES.JPG

The facility recently completed its 60 years of operation.
images.jpg

5. Diesel Locomotive Works, Varanasi
Setup in 1960 with technical help of ALCO USA, this is one of the biggest single factory producing Diesel-electric locos. In past the factory produced variants of ALCO 251C engine classes (WDM 2, WMD 3A, 3B, 3D and 3F along with WDP 1, WDP 3A and freight class WDG 3A). Today it exclusively produces High Horse Power 4500-5500 HP 3 phase Diesel locomotives based on EMD USA technology. It also produces diesel generators for large industrial applications including that for Nuclear power plants.

Special class locos for African countries (Mozambique, Tanzania, Sudan etc), Malaysia, Bangladesh and Sr i-lanka have also been produced.
dlw2.jpg

About fact #11,Trivandrum (Kerala) - Hazrat Nizamuddin (Delhi) Rajdhani express stops at other places (Ernakulam,Thrissur, Madgaon etc), I've travelled in it and so am sure about it.:yes4:
I think point no. 17. the language isn't correct, what is meant is that the train covers a distance of 530 odd kilometers between Kota Jn. (In Rajasthan) and Vadodra Jn. (Gujarat) without any stop.
nizamuddin-thiruvananthapuram.gif

Trivndrm Rajdhani (Train No. 12432) | Train From Hazrat Nizamuddin To Trivandrum Central | Indian Railway Train Timings

Are those official stops

Are those official stops

Yes they are and it is a bit interesting because Rajdhani expresses usually don't have more than one stop (at max 2) in one state. Kerala has 6 (including terminating station Trivandrum), the reason is mostly political interference.

Back
Top Bottom