City: Odense
Prize money: USD 400,000

Day 4, Oct 18 tournamentsoftware.com - Yonex Denmark Open 2013 - Matches

Finals, Oct 20 tournamentsoftware.com - Yonex Denmark Open 2013 - Matches

20-Oct-13
All Final Results [Seeded]

GetWWWFile.aspx

Men's Double

Yong Dae Lee & Yeon Seong Yoo [8](South Korea)

21-19 21-16

Mohammad Ahsan & Hendra Setiawan[1] (Indonesia)

Lee%20Yongdae%20front%20and%20new%20partner%20Yoo%20Yeonseong%20clinch%20the%20Denmark%20Open%20mens%20doubles%20title%20after%20beating%20world%20champions%20Mohd%20AhsanHendra%20Setiawan%20of%20Indonesia%20in%20the%20final%20on%20Sunday.ashx

Lee Yong-dae (front) and new partner Yoo Yeon-seong clinch the Denmark Open men's doubles title after beating world champions Mohd Ahsan-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia in the final on Sunday. - EPA
Credit: thestar.com

eca86bd9ddb413290f074e.jpg

Indonesia's Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan (R) react after beating Korea's Lee Yong Dae and Ko Sung Hyun during their men's double final match at the Djarum Indonesia Open badminton tournament in Jakarta, June 16, 2013. [Photo/Agencies]
Credit: Chinadaily

Women's Single

Wang Yihan [5](China)
16-21 21-18 22-20

Ji Hyun Sung [6](South Korea)

file.aspx

Credit: bwfbadminton.org

Chinas%20Wang%20Yihan.ashx

Wang Yihan defeated Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand in three tough sets on Saturday to advance to the Denmark Open final. - Filepic
Credit: thestar.com

kor_sungjihyun_02_kro10.jpg

Sung Ji Hyun
Credit: bbeshop.com

Mixed Double

Zhang Nan & Zhao Yunlei [1](China)

21-11 22-20

Tontowi Ahmad [3] & Liliyana Natsir (Indonesia)

Zhang+Nan+Badminton+Indonesia+Open+Super+Series+k3h0pDWlL2al.jpg

Zhang Nan (L) and Zhao Yunlei of China pose with their medals after winning the Badminton Indonesia Open Super Series 2013 mixed doubles final on June 16, 2013 in Jakarta, Indonesia.
(June 15, 2013 - Source: Syamsul Bahri Muhammad/Getty Images AsiaPac)

Lilyana+Natsir+Yonex+England+Badminton+Open+p6Hwu41RxsIl.jpg

Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir of Indonesia celebrate with their trophy's after defeating Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei of China in the final of the mixed doubles during Day 6 of the Yonex All England Badminton Open at NIA Arena on March 10, 2013 in Birmingham, England.
(March 9, 2013 - Source: Ben Hoskins/Getty Images Europe)

Also credit: zambio

Women's Double

Bao Yixin & Tang Jinhua (China) 21-16 21-13 Christinna Pedersen & Kamilla Rytter Juhl[2] (Denmark)

file.aspx

Credit: bwfbadminton.org
The Champions and the Trophy: China's Bao Yixin (L) and Tang Jinhua

185412341-chinas-bao-yixin-and-tang-jinhua-celebrate-gettyimages.jpg

185412332-chinas-bao-yixin-and-tang-jinhua-celebrate-gettyimages.jpg

China's Bao Yixin (L) and Tang Jinhua celebrate after winning against Denmark's Christinna Pedersen and Kamilla Rytter Juhl on October 20, 2013 in Odense in the women's double competition of the Danish Badminton Open event. AFP PHOTO/ Claus Fisker/ Scanpix DENMARK / DENMARK OUT (Photo credit should read CLAUS FISKER/AFP/Getty Images)

185412324-chinas-bao-yixin-and-tang-jinhua-celebrate-gettyimages.jpg

The Champions China's Bao (Far L) and Tang and Runners-up Denmark's Pedersen and KR Juh; (Far R) at the podium

185412364-denmarks-christinna-pedersen-and-kamilla-gettyimages.jpg

Denmark's Christinna Pedersen (L) and Kamilla Rytter Juhl play against China's Bao Yixin and Tang Jinhua on October 20, 2013 in Odense in the women's double competition final match of the Danish Badminton Open event. AFP PHOTO/ Claus Fisker/ Scanpix DENMARK / DENMARK OUT (Photo credit should read CLAUS FISKER/AFP/Getty Images)

Men's Single

Chen Long [2] (China) 24-22 21-19 Chong Wei Lee [1] (Malaysia)

Chen%20Long%20of%20China.ashx

Chen Long of China has a relatively good winning record against Lee Chong Wei, having beaten the World No.1 Malaysian six times in 13 previous meetings. Filepic
Credit:thestar.com

DSC_0171-672x449.jpg

Chen Long (L) and Lee Chong Wei at the Men's Singles' Final of the 2013 All England Open Championship
Credit: allenglandandbadminton.a3.amazonaws.com

Beautiful badminton match ended with Chinese victory

BadmintonDenmark.com - News - Beautiful badminton match ended with Chinese victory

15742_1341333315lg1x.jpg

Chen Long - Champion Men's Single, 2013 Denmark Open
Credit: ttymg.com

After more than an hour of beautiful badminton, Chen Long managed to defeat Lee Chong Wei in the men's singles final at the Yonex Denmark Open

For the third straight year, Lee Chong Wei and Chen Long today met in the men's singles final at the Yonex Denmark Open.

In 2012, the Malaysian had taken the title, whilst the Chinese had won it back in 2011. Before today, their head-to-head score counted seven victories for Lee Chong Wei and six for Chen Long.

It was everybody's game this Sunday, no doubt.

A worthy final

Especially in the first game. The two gentlemen fought well, both of them displaying great skill, making the lead switch back and forth.

Lee Chong Wei were ahead at the interval by 11-8, after having won six straight points, and was able to maintain the leading position until they reached 14-14. It was extremely close from there on, and in the end it was the Chinese second seed who closed the game in his fourth try, winning 24-22.

At this point, it was obvious why these two players are currently ranked no. 1 and 2 in the world. The men's singles final at Yonex Denmark Open was indeed the perfect to match to round everything off with.

”Most of all, I am just happy that I've been able to refind my form and play at this high level again. I haven't been playing this good for a while, so it's very positive for me to be able to do that again,” Chen Long said after the match.

Chinese dominance

Earlier in the tournament, other players had put the Malaysian super star under pressure and even won games against him. However, when needed, Lee Chong Wei had simply just increased the pace in the rallies and crushed his opponents that way around.

Today, however, that was simply not possible in the second game against Chen Long. Unlike in previous rounds, Lee Chong Wei was unable to dominate the match and was even unable to prevent the Chinese from dominating.

Lee Chong Wei lost the lead at 4-4 and trailed throughout the rest of the game. Towards the end, he gained in on his Chinese opponent, levelling the score at 19-19 and opening the chance of a third game, but in the very end, he could not complete his comeback and lost the two following rallies.

The game ended 21-19 in favor of Chen Long, who thereby reclaims the title he won two years ago but lost last year.

”Lee Chong Wei is a great inspiration”

It means a lot to Chen Long to beat, and even just play against a player like Lee Chong Wei. In matches like these, it is more than merely the victory that motivates him, the Chinese told us after his victory.

”There's a lot I can learn from Lee Chong Wei. Everytime I play against him it's an invaluable opportunity to learn something from him, and it's always something I look forward to.”

”It's very motivating for me, besides of just going for the win, and the fact that he has been a professional player so much longer than me, gives me so much to strive for,” he also said.

Looking forward to 2014

In about ten months, Denmark will be hosting the BWF World Championships, a tournament every professional player aims to participate in and do well. That goes for Chen Long as well, who hopes to be able to perform at a high level in that the tournament.

”Of course I can't guarantee that I will beat Lee Chong Wei every time I play him, but I feel it is my responsibility as a professional player to do the best I can in every tournament I compete in, as well as being responsible for the audience who've come to see me perform,” he said before concluding:

”And that's an attitude I'll bring with me every time I play a big tournament.”

Monday October 21, 2013 MYT 1:14:19 AM

Chong Wei falls in final

Lee%20Chong%20Wei%20of%20Malaysia.ashx

No birthday joy for Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei, who turns 31 on Monday, as he was beaten in straight sets by China's Chen Long in the Denmark Open men's singles final on Sunday. - AFP"

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2013/10/21/Chong-Wei-falls-in-final.aspx

ODENSE: There will be no birthday joy for world No.1 Lee Chong Wei as Chen Long produced a superb performance to win the Denmark Open on Sunday.

Chong Wei who turns 31 on Monday just couldn’t gain control of the match as world No.2 Chen Long took a worthy 24-22, 21-19 win in 68 minutes.

The Chinese ace raced to an 8-5 lead in the first game but Chong Wei turned it around to lead 14-11 at one point.

Chen Long however took four straight points and the pressure was always on Chong Wei in the first game.

He saved two game points from 18-20 down but just couldn’t pull away as Chen Long eventually wrapped up the first game.

Chen Long, who won the All England this year, started strongly once more in the second game and was ahead 12-5 at one point.

Although Chong Wei did well to pull back at 18-18, Chen Long had the momentum and was just too strong in the end.

It was his second Danish title since 2011 and it puts his head-to-head with Chong Wei at seven-apiece.

“Chen Long definitely played better today and he was picking up everything I threw at him. I just couldn’t finish him off,” said Chong Wei.

“I was also making too many simple mistakes and I wasn’t patient enough in dealing with him.

“Plus, he was very fast today and I just couldn’t keep up with him.

“In the second game he took a huge lead and although I relaxed myself and took it one point at a time, I just couldn’t convert the crucial points.

“It’s probably not the best birthday gift for myself but it’s okay. I’m not too disappointed with my own performance,” added Chong Wei.

Chen Long meanwhile pointed out that while the win was great, he still had a lot to learn from Chong Wei.

“He has been a professional badminton player longer than me and he’s really a great role model,” said Chen Long.

“The way he has kept his level at the top is amazing and its something young shuttlers like me should learn from.”

China were the big winners of the Danish meet, taking home four of the four finals they competed in.

Earlier, Wang Yihan had bagged the women’s singles title with a gruelling three-setter win over South Korea’s Sung Ji-hyun while Zhang Nan-Zhao Yunlei toppled world champions Tontowi Ahmad-Liliyana Natsir of Indonesia 21-11, 22-20 to win the mixed doubles title.

Unseeded Bao Yixin-Tang Jinhua claimed the women’s doubles title by beating home favourites Christinna Pedersen-Kamilla Rytter Juhl 21-16, 21-13.

The only non-Chinese winners came from South Korea’s Lee Yong-dae-Yoo Yeon-seong who smashed their way past Indonesian world champions Mohd Ahsan-Hendra Setiawan 21-19, 21-16 for the men’s doubles title.

Correction on spelling error: Denmark

file.aspx

More pix from earlier rounds:

file.aspx

South Korean players:
Women's single: Sung Ji Hyun
Men's Doubles: Lee Yong Dae and Yoo Yeon Seong (right; above)

file.aspx

Chen Long

file.aspx

Women’s Doubles. Chinese pair Tang Jinhua/Bao Yixin (R)

file.aspx

Men’s Doubles, World champions Mohammad Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia – the top seeds, reached their 4th straight final in Superseries

All photo credits: bwfbadminton.org

@shuttler are you talking about Denmark ? cz their is no such country named Danmank :D

Last edited by a moderator:
@shuttler are you talking about Denmark ? cz their is no such country named Danmank :D

Please read the first line of Post #4. Your point is well noted and I am unable to correct the title of the thread!

Lee Chong Wei vs Chen Long in the Men's Singles Final and other final matches highlights:

Watch the shot @58:33

Back
Top Bottom