What's new

2,050MW added to national grid in last 21 months

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
2,050MW added to national grid in last 21 months

ISLAMABAD: To overcome the power shortfall, the government has added 2050 megawatts (MW) to the national grid during February 2009 to October 2010,sources told Daily Times here on Thursday.

This power generation is coming from nine different projects mainly based on dual fuel base, gas and furnace oil and both were considered the expensive electricity. Whereas there is no power generation from hydel power, which is a much cheaper source of power in the country. The electricity produced by these plants would ease to some extent the country’s existing power shortage. However, the country could not get rid of power shortfall and still the people are confronting the menace of load shedding across the country. The sources said these projects are; Atlas power plant Sheikhupura having power generation capacity 225MW with total cost of the project was over $225 million. Atlas Group has set up the plant based on Residual Furnace Oil (RFO).

The second power project with generation capacity of 200MW Combined Cycle Power Plant Nishat Power Plant was complet4d by Nov 2009. It cost the government $235 million. The third project, namely Korangi Combined Cycle Power Plant (CCPP) at Korangi Karchi having generation capacity of 220MW was completed in February 2009.
The plant consists of four latest state-of-the-art and high efficiency gas turbines, one steam turbine and other plant equipment.

In CCPP, a gas turbine generator generates electricity and the waste heat was used to make steam to generate additional electricity via a steam turbine; this last step enhances the efficiency of electricity generation. The plant consists of 4 state-of-the-art gas turbines of 48.4MW capacity and one steam turbine of 26MW. The total capacity of the plant is 220MW at ISO condition. Initial investment of the project was $200 million.

The Naudero Rental Power Plant, first rental power plant of 51MW at Naudero, District Larkana was inaugurated in April, 4 2010. The plant is technically designed to operate on gas turbine generating units with 92 percent power availability factor. The plant has been assured 12mmcfd gas for five years through Pepco’s Generation Company-II, and an SSGC gas transmission pipeline has been linked to the said plant, besides laying of 132 kv transmission line to connect the power so generated to national grid. Total cost of the project was $91.66 million, the sources maintained.

Gulf Rental Power Plant having power generation capacity of 62MW, was completed by Gulf Rental Power Company and it runs on Residual Furnace Oil (RFO). The construction of the plant was completed in time of approximately 7 months. Orient Combined Cycle Power Plant at Baloki, District Kasur having generation capacity of 225MW was completed in July 2010. Total cost of this project was $213 million.

The government also added 300MW power in national grid through Gencos rehabilitation during 2009-10. The Rehabilitation of 747MW Combined Cycle Guddu Power Project was completed in Aug 2009, with an estimated cost of Rs 59.775 billion

Apart from the above figure, the government also plans to get 394MW power from Engro Power Project, Kharki and Foundation Power, Kharki.

Test run power generation has already begun from these two projects and after its proper inauguration; the government would be able to get 394MW from these two projects, the sources maintained.

Officials in the ministry of water and power told the scribe that the government plans to double power generation capacity of the government from the current 20000MW to 40000MW by 2020. The additional power would comprise 6,000MW on hydro; 6,000MW on coal; 5,000MW on gas, 1,000MW on Naptha and other indigenous fuels and the remainder 2,000MW from alternative energy resources, especially solar and wind.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Many of these projects were initiated by Mush regime and claimed by Ghaddari!

Many of these projects were initiated by Mush regime and claimed by Ghaddari!

Can you name any project from the above list that was initiated by Musharraf's regime?

Only rental power plant which is producing 51MW and 62MW are new, rest of all are private sector power plant and nothing to do with govt.

The second power project with generation capacity of 200MW Combined Cycle Power Plant Nishat Power Plant was complet4d by Nov 2009. It cost the government $235 million.
This is biggest lie... out of list of lies.
Nishat group of companies own this power plant... i trust some financial institutes may have provided finances but what the hell govt. had to do with it?
Producing energy with oil is no the right approach for Pakistan.
We need to focus more on hydal and solar energy as priority.

Well I don't want to discuss about whatever you mentioned above..... Kindly prove how the solar energy is feasible for Pakistan

and is the cheapest source of energy among all alternatives?

Can you name any project from the above list that was initiated by Musharraf's regime?

ENGRO power plant, in Daharki.

---------- Post added at 04:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 AM ----------

Only rental power plant which is producing 51MW and 62MW are new, rest of all are private sector power plant and nothing to do with govt.

This is biggest lie... out of list of lies.
Nishat group of companies own this power plant... i trust some financial institutes may have provided finances but what the hell govt. had to do with it?
Producing energy with oil is no the right approach for Pakistan.

Useless claim..

Only way forward is Nuclear power.

Cheap, safe, clean.

Go to Planning commision site and see when each project was initiated!

Go to Planning commision site and see when each project was initiated!

You are claiming, I ain't saying anything Sir,

If you have said "Many of these projects were initiated by Mush regime and claimed by Ghaddari!"

Then you should also be presenting the proof yourself.....
You could be right.....But I gotta know the proof from you since you are claiming this and challenging the sources of this newspaper

".....Apart from the above figure, the government also plans to get 394MW power from Engro Power Project, Kharki and Foundation Power, Kharki....."

There you go.

The project is completed at 225 MW installed CCP capacity.
Getting a power plant online and stable is momentous task.

I would know about this one as my relative works there.

".....Apart from the above figure, the government also plans to get 394MW power from Engro Power Project, Kharki and Foundation Power, Kharki....."

There you go.

The project is completed at 225 MW installed CCP capacity.
Getting a power plant online and stable is momentous task.

I would know about this one as my relative works there.

lol....... Its not listed among the completed projects :rofl:
They have planned to get 394MW in future.....I believe, Its not among the claimed figure of "2,050MW" of electricity mentioned in the first post

Well I don't want to discuss about whatever you mentioned above..... Kindly prove how the solar energy is feasible for Pakistan

and is the cheapest source of energy among all alternatives?

You are right zaki ... Solar energy is not at all feasible... :)

I think they should go for wind energy and coal energy...

You are right zaki ... Solar energy is not at all feasible... :)

I think they should go for wind energy and coal energy...

I think it should be (in priority)

1) Hydro
2) Coal
3) Nuclear
4) Wind

so on

Solar should be the last option

I think it should be (in priority)

1) Hydro
2) Coal
3) Nuclear
4) Wind

so on

Solar should be the last option

I think we should wait a bit for solar energy to become cheaper as it's gonna be best option if its cheaper a bit...

Back
Top Bottom