What's new

15 facts about 'failed state' Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pak is not a failed state .

However none of the points listed in post #1 could prevent a nation from becoming one.

Personally I am against the term "Failed state". Still if some unit of measure has to be applied, it should be more to do with governance, national institutions, rule of law etc.

P.S. Add economy and the ability of a nation to pay its debts.

India has the same amount of chance of being a failed state as Pakistan. In fact, even countries like the US has an equally likely chance of being one. Pakistan has well functioning institutions, growing economy, reasonable infrastructure, various sources of 'income' (exports), a huge consumer market, natural resources. I think Pakistan has same chances of failing as India or any other country does.

We have certainly achieved a lot since our inception but we are capable of so much more.

These achievements do not mean much when you consider all the negative aspects of our nation.

I am telling you as someone who has lived in America for 10 years, Nigeria 4, Ghana 2; that we think worse of ourselves when we're not as bad. If you ever go to Western Africa, or Central or Eastern Africa; you'll know what I mean. I've also visited El-Salvador, Panama; as well as other African countries, & I know Pakistan isn't as bad as we think we are. But of course, there is a lot of room for improvement. But there are a lot of people that are working towards that in Pakistan everyday. It is a very good sign that we have a growing 35-40 million middle class.

With all the above said 'facts', if Pakistan is in such a state today it just says how the politicians and the Army have complemented each other perfectly in destroying it.

The difference between Pakistan/India & many countries in the world (including most African countries besides Nigeria) is that we have a much higher population than most countries. So while we have a growing middle class, there are also a lot of poor people that need to be taken into account. As I said, a lot of poor people in Ghana eat bats for meals everyday; & that's a huge chunk of the country, because food like chicken are considered luxury items. A meal in a decent restaurant in Ghana can cost up to $50 per meal. The rent for a decent house in Ghana can cost upto 8000 cedi ($5000) per month.

I am telling you as someone who has lived in America for 10 years, Nigeria 4, Ghana 2; that we think worse of ourselves when we're not as bad. If you ever go to Western Africa, or Central or Eastern Africa; you'll know what I mean. I've also visited El-Salvador, Panama; as well as other African countries, & I know Pakistan isn't as bad as we think we are. But of course, there is a lot of room for improvement. But there are a lot of people that are working towards that in Pakistan everyday. It is a very good sign that we have a growing 35-40 million middle class.

You want to compare Pakistan to Africa nations in order to proclaim that we are not a failed state.

Firstly failed states is more to do with the failed governance and lack of security, be it civil or sovereign.

This is a failed period of Pakistan however we have a chance to become a resounding success if we get our priorities in order.

There is no point in comparing ourselves to African nations for the sake of stating that we are not failing.

You want to compare Pakistan to Africa nations in order to proclaim that we are not a failed state.

Firstly failed states is more to do with the failed governance and lack of security, be it civil or sovereign.

This is a failed period of Pakistan however we have a chance to become a resounding success if we get our priorities in order.

There is no point in comparing ourselves to African nations for the sake of stating that we are not failing.

This is the problem of Pakistan. They compare themselves with nations ranked lower and are happy that their nation has not plummeted there yet.

Instead Pakistanis should compare themselves with nations that are above them and contemplate what it takes for their nation to reach there.

For the sake of enmity don't compare yourself with India even though we both started at the same point at the same time and till the 90s Pakistan was ahead of India in almost all economic indicators. But you have a valuable example in China.Even they had poverty, infact much more than our nations in the 60s and 70s. But look where they are now.

We shouldn't even talk about natural resources. Countries around the world are trying to protect their resources while sucking Africa dry. We should preserve them for our future generation.

Anyways, our problem has a lot to do with governance, corruption and an excruciatingly slow judicial process. The first thing we can do to bring Pakistan out of the current mess is to improve the law and order and tax everyone, not just the middle-class. We don't need any other institution for money or anything at all.

How does any of of this help Pakistan in terms of governance, security and sovereign integrity?

We could be sitting on the worlds largest reserves for a number of natural resources but they do not help us in any manner in the current scenario because a) we cannot extract and refine them as we lack the expertise and funding, b) they attract hostility from other countries who want Pakistan to remain week and c) out corrupt system will preempt us from achieving anything substantive if we do decide to use our resources.

Largest this and largest that does not make a difference, its the nature of the system that can harness admirable results from its civilians and resources.

Its unnecessary and insecure on our part to talk about such things when in reality our country is suffering from its worst condition and its all due to the system we have in place.

We are suffering from an uncertain political situation; however, we have started a lot of development projects in Balochistan, FATA, tackling issues of Gilgit-Baltistan; & other places that were completely left on their own. Even in times of turmoil, the Pakistani nation has had growth & development. People in Pakistan have generally always been pessimistic about themselves, probably from constantly listening to others who have no clue about Pakistan really is.

This is the problem of Pakistan. They compare themselves with nations ranked lower and are happy that their nation has not plummeted there yet.

Instead Pakistanis should compare themselves with nations that are above them and contemplate what it takes for their nation to reach there.

This is common amongst many but not all Pakistanis follow the same mentality.

For the sake of enmity don't compare yourself with India even though we both started at the same point at the same time and till the 90s Pakistan was ahead of India in almost all economic indicators. But you have a valuable example in China.Even they had poverty, infact much more than our nations in the 60s and 70s. But look where they are now.

All it took for India was 20 years of economic development to go ahead of Pakistan while in the same period Pakistan went in the opposite direction thanks to inane laws and pathetic governments.

China is truly an example that all developing nations should aspire to.

Pakistan was an example for all developing nations in the 60's though, look where we are today.

India has the same amount of chance of being a failed state as Pakistan. In fact, even countries like the US has an equally likely chance of being one. Pakistan has well functioning institutions, growing economy, reasonable infrastructure, various sources of 'income' (exports), a huge consumer market, natural resources. I think Pakistan has same chances of failing as India or any other country does.

I will not contest your views as we are entitled to ours.

However, on institutions regular Coups & military rule has effectively prevented any from taking roots. Economy - the nation lives on dole, if aid is stopped the economy may just come to a halt to name a few.

Pak will not fail simply coz it is not in the interest of the West & S Asia for Pak to fail - the repercussions of its failure are worse .

Pakistan isn't a failed state. They would like it to be, the west would like it to be. But it ain't happening.

This list is good. Not to mention our natural beauty sites such as Swat and K2.

:pakistan: we say Pakistan Zindabad for a reason, because we mean it and know it.

Pakistan doesn't compare itself to lower nations. However, certain Pakistanis do like to make a point to Indians who think Pakistan is the number failed state in the world that has no source of income, only survives on aid etc.

It's funny that it's India that constantly compares itself with Pakistan, despite the fact that it has 7 times the population of Pakistan. I didn't even mention India in this thread, but looked how it popped up. But if you're going there, then let me clarify: Pakistan & India did not start on equal footing in 1947. India had all the developed cities, developed infrastructure; Pakistan had only one developed city: Lahore. Everything in Pakistan has been done by Pakistan. Anyways, there's no point comparing India with Pakistan (or vice versa), when India hasn't had to be involved in two wars of the highest magnitude (Afghan-Soviet & the WOT) in the last 20-30 years.

Pak will not fail simply coz it is not in the interest of the West & S Asia for Pak to fail - the repercussions of its failure are worse .

The West is trying to do everything it can to make Pakistan fail.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Pakistan isn't a failed state. They would like it to be, the west would like it to be. But it ain't happening.

This list is good. Not to mention our natural beauty sites such as Swat and K2.

:pakistan: we say Pakistan Zindabad for a reason, because we mean it and know it.

I didn't include natural beauty as that's not of much meaning to the Pakistani establishment, in terms of development & growth.

There is a point to prove when people gleefully say Pakistan is the number one failed state in the world. Pakistan has functioning institutions, governance which is not seen in many countries; as can be seen with the rising anarchy both in Africa & the Middle East. If the lack of governance is not indicative of a failed state, then I don't know what it is. Even the UK used to have daily bombings at the time of the IRA, were they ever declared a failed state? Turkey was facing a similar situation against the PKK. Were they ever declared a failed state? Same thing with Sri Lanka who were embroiled in a 20 year civil war. These war like scenarios are temporary, & should not be used to label a country as a failed state. Same thing with Pakistan. Pakistan is directly involved in America's WOT right now. The important thing is that the Pakistani establishment is strong, we have well functioning institutions, a growing economy, good infrastructure amongst other things, & these are the things that count in the end in determining whether a country is failed or not (in my opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom